Smoked Jalapeno Poppers is the perfect appetizer to serve for the holidays or game day. They are crispy, full of flavor and easy to make.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Smoker Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers:
Smoked jalapeno poppers recipe is always a crowd favorite. The cheesy center and the crispy bacon makes these Jalapeño poppers recipe so delicious.
These poppers are simple to prepare and the smoker does all the work. They make the perfect appetizer for all your family gatherings. We usually grill them but recently starting smoking them and now we are obsessed with the flavor.
The simple ingredients make these always on our game day menu. The flavor, crispy texture and cheesy center makes these the first to disappear.
Why You Will Love this Recipe:
- Quick and Easy to Prepare – If you are making these for an appetizer, you can easily prepare ahead of time. I like to go ahead and prepare and then place them in the smoker. This way they are ready when my friends arrive.
- Simple Ingredients – I love that the ingredients are so simple and budget friendly. The cheesy center and simple seasoning all stuffed in the jalapeno makes them so delicious. Add the wrapped bacon gives it that delicious crispy texture.
- Ultimate party food – These smoke Jalapeño poppers are going to be the most requested appetizer. They are the first to disappear at any party and loved by kids and adults.
- Jalapeño Peppers
- Cream Cheese (softened)
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Slices Bacon
How to Make Smoked Jalapeno Poppers:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat your smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Cherry, maple or chicken wood all work great for this recipe.
- Step 2 – Prepare Jalapenos – Slice the jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove all the seeds and membranes from the jalapeños.
- Step 3 – Combine Filling Ingredients – In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese, and garlic powder. Add in smoked paprika and cheddar cheese together.
- Step 4 – Add Cheese Filling – Use a small spoon to spread the cream cheese mixture into each jalapeño half.
- Step 5 – Wrap with Bacon – Then wrap 1 piece of bacon around the jalapeño half. Then secure it at both ends with toothpicks.
- Step 6 – Place in Smoker – Then place them in the grill grates in the smoker. Smoke the jalapeno peppers for approximately 1.5-2 hours. Cook until the peppers appear soft and the bacon starts to brown.
- Step 7 – Increase Temperature – Increase the smoker temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 8 – Cook – Cook for 2-3 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove the jalapeño poppers from the smoker. Let them rest for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the toothpicks. Then they are ready to serve and enjoy.
Smoked Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers Recipe Tips:
- Smoked Paprika – We love the flavor of smoked paprika when making these poppers. We recommend using quality smoked paprika for the best flavor.
- Prepare Smoker – Preheating the smoker is best when making these poppers. Add in your favorite wood chips for the best flavor.
- Prepare Jalapenos – Prepare the jalapenos by washing, slicing and removing the membranes. We like to make sure to remove all the seeds and ribs as this will excess how spicy the poppers are. We recommend choosing medium size jalapenos.
- Wrapping the Bacon – We recommend when wrapping the jalapeno with bacon, to secure it with toothpicks.
- Cooking Time – Cooking time will vary based on your smoker and the size of your jalapenos.
- Crispy Bacon Strips – Make sure to increase the temperature to get the slice of bacon strips crispy. The combination of the crispy and the soft center makes for the best smoked jalapeño popper recipes.
- Serving Poppers – Allow the poppers to rest before serving. Make sure to remove the toothpicks before serving.
- Little Extra Kick – If you like your poppers to have a little extra kick. Add in a teaspoon of cayenne peppers or chili powder.
- Cheese – Feel free to use different types of shredded cheese. We use a variety of cheese such as sharp cheddar, pepper jack cheese or Colby Monterey Jack Cheese.
- Bacon – Choose different types of bacon. We like to make sure to use regular cut so it cooks evenly and crispy.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer.
- Baking – Instead of smoking the jalapeno poppers, you can bake them in the oven. Place the prepare poppers on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- BBQ Sauce – These poppers are great if you want to spread BBQ sauce over the top or serve with dipping sauce. You can serve with ranch dipping sauce for added flavor.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Leftover poppers are perfect to reheat in the air fryer. This will keep the crispy texture.
Frequently Asked Questions:
We start by setting the smoker temperature at 250 degrees. This cooks the poppers soft and tender and gets the bacon golden brown. The increase the temperature to 400 degrees so the bacon gets crispy.
Smoke the jalapeno poppers for about 2 hours. Cooking time will depend on the size of the poppers and your smoker. We like to increase the temperature to cook for an additional 3 minutes to get the bacon crispy.
There are many different types of wood that give the poppers so much flavor. You can use cherry wood, pecan wood, or maple. You can even combine wood pellets for added flavor.
Print Recipe for Smoked Jalapeno Poppers:
Smoked Jalapeno Poppers
- 8 Jalapeños
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 16 Slices Bacon
- Preheat your smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Cherry, maple or chicken wood all work great for this recipe.
- Slice the jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove all the seeds and membranes from the jalapeños.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cheddar cheese together.
- Use a small spoon to spread the cream cheese mixture into each jalapeño half.
- Then wrap 1 piece of bacon around the jalapeño half and secure it at both ends with toothpicks.
- Then place them in the rack in the smoker. Smoke them for approximately 1.5-2 hours until the peppers appear soft and the bacon starts to brown.
- Increase the smoker temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
- Remove the jalapeño poppers from the smoker. Let them rest for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the toothpicks. Then they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe