Grilled Queso Recipe is the ultimate way to make your favorite dip. Melty cheese combined with simple seasoning makes this a crowd favorite.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
We love making our favorite side dishes on the grill. This cheese dip is loaded with smoky flavor and simple ingredients. It is perfect to serve while you are hanging out by the pool or for your game day party.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
- Staple Ingredients – This dip is easily made with simple seasoning. You may just have to run to the store to grab Velveeta cheese.
- Amazing Texture – After slow cooking this queso on the grill, the texture is thick, creamy and so delicious.
- Crowd Favorite – This queso is a must anytime I am hosting a party. Prep time is easy as everything is easily cooked in a disposable pan.
- Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- Whole Milk
- Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips, for serving
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.
- Cheese Addition – This queso is even better with added cheese. Add in Pepper Jack Cheese, Monterey Jack Cheese, or White American Cheese. We have even added in cheddar cheese for the best smoked queso dip recipe.
- Add Meat – For a different variations, add a ton of flavor by adding in meat. Add in ground beef, Chorizo Sausage, or Italian Sausage. Make sure the meat is cooked before adding it in.
- Diced Tomatoes – We love the flavor of the Canned Rotel, but you can add in diced tomatoes.
- Smoked Queso Recipe – If you have a smoker, you can make this dip in the smoker. We have a wood chip electric smoker and use hickory wood chips for amazing smoke flavor. You can also use an wood pellet smoker or a big green egg to make this smoked cheese dip recipe.
Step by Step Instructions
- Step 1 – Prepare the grill for medium heat.
- Step 2 – In a disposable aluminum pan, combine the cubed Velveeta, Rotel tomatoes, whole milk, and cilantro. Add in ground cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir to mix the ingredients together.
- Step 3 – Place the aluminum pan on the preheated grill away from direct heat. Making sure the grill lid is closed to help circulate the heat.
- Step 4 – Stir the queso mixture occasionally to ensure even melting and prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until all the cheese has melted and the ingredients are well combined.
- Step 5 – Once the queso is melted and smooth, remove it from the grill using grill-safe tongs or oven mitts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 6 – Serve immediately with tortilla chips for dipping.
- Foil Pan – Make sure the disposable aluminum pan is sturdy enough to hold the queso without folding or spilling. You may want to suggest stacking two disposable pans together for extra sturdiness.
- Indirect Heat – The queso is cooked indirectly, meaning it should be placed on the cooler side of a two-zone grill or away from direct flames.
- Stir Queso – Frequent stirring is necessary to ensure the cheese melts evenly and doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Queso dip can be served with many different dippers. These are some of our favorites.
- Tortilla Chips
- Raw Vegetables
- French Bread
Frequently Asked Questions
This queso can also be made in the slow cooker, cast iron skillet on the stove top, or the microwave. We suggest adding ½ teaspoon liquid smoke to add to the delicious smoky flavor.
If your smoked queso on the grill is to thick, start by adding in a tablespoon of milk until it is your desired consistency.
Store Velveeta queso leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Reheat leftovers in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Heating in 30 second intervals until heated thoroughly.
More Easy Grilled Appetizer Recipes:
We love hearing from you. If you make this Grilled Queso Recipe, please leave a comment or a star review.
- Prepare the grill for medium heat.
- In a disposable aluminum pan, combine the cubed Velveeta, Rotel tomatoes, whole milk, cilantro, ground cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir to mix the ingredients together.
- Place the aluminum pan on the preheated grill away from direct heat, making sure the grill lid is closed to help circulate the heat.
- Stir the queso mixture occasionally to ensure even melting and prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until all the cheese has melted and the ingredients are well combined.
- Once the queso is melted and smooth, remove it from the grill using grill-safe tongs or oven mitts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips for dipping.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe