These Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs Recipe will become a staple classic recipe this summer. The easy BBQ sauce and seasoning combined with the tender, juicy thighs makes this the perfect meal anytime of the week.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs Recipe:
Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs Recipe is one of my favorite meals to grill. The chicken thighs come out so tender and juicy with the BBQ sauce marinade. Combining the seasoning rub with the barbecue sauce brings out so much flavor.
When it comes to grilling, we grill out a lot of barbecue chicken. It is simple and a crowd pleaser anytime we grill. If done correctly, the chicken comes out full of flavor.
Grilling chicken pieces can be tricky, but if you are patient and stand close by, the results are amazing. If you love chicken thighs, you might like Grilled Sticky Chicken Thighs and Grilled Brown Sugar Glazed Chicken Thighs.
How to make BBQ Chicken Rub?
When we grill chicken, we like to experiment with seasoning to make a good chicken rub. There are lots of different chicken dry rub that are pre-mixed at the store. But I like making my own. They taste better and I know exactly what I am adding to the mix.
This chicken rub combines some of my favorite seasoning. The garlic powder combined with the smoked paprika makes a simple but tasty chicken rub. Sprinkle the chicken rub about 20 minutes prior to putting on the grill.
Adding the BBQ sauce at the end of the grilling process really helps brings all the flavor together.
Why Grill Chicken Thighs?
Chicken thighs are often a meat that is overlooked. It is one of the most juiciest, flavorful part of the chicken. Plus they budget friendly, compared to chicken breast.
Chicken thighs have more flavor and are easier to cook as they don’t dry out as fast as chicken breast.
Adding the BBQ sauce at the end cooking your chicken thighs, reduces the sticky consistency. Making the chicken thighs flavorful.
- Bone-In, Skin On Chicken Thighs
- Garlic Powder
- Kosher Salt
- BBQ Sauce
How to Grill BBQ Chicken Thighs:
- Mix Together Chicken Rub Seasoning – Stir together all the seasonings in a small bowl.
- Add to Chicken – Then rub this seasoning mixture onto the chicken thighs.
- Prepare Gas Grill – Preheat the grill to 350 degrees F. Brush the grill grates with oil on each side of the grill to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Cook Chicken Thighs – Once the grill is hot, place the BBQ chicken thighs on gas grill, skin side down and close the lid.
- Cook on chicken on each side – Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Add the BBQ Sauce – Brush the chicken with the BBQ sauce. Flip the chicken and brush the opposite side with the BBQ sauce has well.
- Continue Cooking – Cook for 3 minutes. Flip the chicken again, brush with more BBQ sauce and cook the opposite side for 3-4 more minutes. Use a meat thermometer to ensure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Using an instant read thermometer is the best one to purchase.
- Serve and Enjoy – Move the chicken to a serving platter and serve with your favorite sides.
Do you add BBQ Sauce on Chicken before Grilling?
Adding the BBQ sauce to the chicken is important. We recommend adding the BBQ sauce to the chicken after it has slowly cooked to perfection. Once you chicken reading an internal temperature of 165 degrees then add your BBQ Sauce.
We brush the BBQ sauce on each side of the chicken and let it grill for a few more minutes.
Anytime we grill chicken, ribs or pork we add the sauce after the meat has cooked to perfection.
How long to Grill BBQ Chicken Thighs?
The cook times will vary based on the size of the chicken. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to the correct temperature.
Using a meat thermometer will make sure you do not overcook your chicken. We recommend staying close to the grill to ensure your chicken doesn’t burn.
We grilled each side about 5-7 minutes. They were cooked all the way through and did not burn or dry out. We love to have the chicken thighs to have a crispy skin.
What to serve with BBQ Chicken Thighs?
Try these amazing sides with your BBQ Chicken Thighs. When grilling chicken thighs, I like to make things easy.
- Traditional Potato Salad Recipe
- Greek Pasta Salad Recipe
- Quick & Easy Grilled Sweet Potato Recipe
- Grilled Peach Cobbler Recipe
How to store leftover Chicken Thighs:
Store any leftover chicken in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. These chicken thighs store great. Perfect for lunch the next day.
We like to store in individual containers for an easy lunch or dinner the next day. We add the side to the dish and shredded chicken thighs. It heats perfectly in the microwave for an amazing lunch.
Why we love this BBQ Chicken Thigh Recipe:
- Tender and Juicy Chicken – We love that this BBQ chicken and seasoning makes the chicken so tender, juicy and full of flavor.
- Easy to Make – Cooking the chicken thighs on the grill will make it an easy weeknight meal. It is also a crowd pleaser. Rather I am grilling during the week or on the weekend, everyone loves these BBQ flavored Chicken Thighs.
- Budget Friendly – The seasoning and BBQ sauce are simple and more than likely you already have them.
Print Recipe here for Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs:
Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs
- 6 Bone-In Skin On Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
- Stir together all the seasonings in a small bowl. Then rub this seasoning mixture onto the chicken thighs.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees F. Brush the grill grates with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill, skin side down.
- Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Brush the chicken with the BBQ sauce. Flip the chicken and brush the opposite side with the BBQ sauce has well. Cook for 3 minutes. Flip the chicken again, brush with more BBQ sauce and cook the opposite side for 3-4 more minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe