A simple marinade makes this Grilled Huli Huli Chicken a family favorite recipe. Add grilled pineapple for a sweet and savory combination.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Grilled Chicken Recipes always make the best weeknight meal. This Grilled Huli Huli Chicken taste amazing and the perfect meal to kick off the grilling season.
If you love this grilled chicken recipe, then you are going to love this Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Breasts, Mojo Chicken Recipe and Cajun Grilled Chicken. Both made with simple ingredients and taste amazing.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
We love that this Hawaiian Huli Huli chicken has a sweet and savory flavor. The grill cooks it perfectly with a juicy and tender center. Add a side of grilled slice pineapple for the perfect combination.
The marinade that the chicken marinates in is made with simple ingredients and enhances the flavor when this chicken is grilled. Add your favorite side dish recipes to make a complete meal.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Fresh Pineapple Juice
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Chicken Broth
- Minced Garlic
- Ground Ginger – Or Fresh Ginger
- Sesame Oil, optional
- Ground Black Pepper
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning or add in about ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes for a kick of flavor. Paprika is great addition for amazing flavor.
- Change Chicken – We love the way the chicken thighs cook, but you can also use chicken wings, chicken breasts, and bone-in chicken.
- Pineapple Slices – Grill fresh pineapple slices to serve with the chicken wings.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – In a bowl, combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce ketchup, brown sugar, chicken broth, ginger and garlic, sesame oil, and ground black pepper. Stir until the brown sugar is fully dissolved.
Step 2 – Place the chicken thighs in a resealable plastic bag or shallow dish.
Step 3 – Pour the huli huli sauce over the chicken, making sure each piece is well coated. Seal the bag or cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight for best results.
Step 4 – Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill for 6-8 minutes per side, or until fully cooked. Serve the grilled chicken hot, optionally garnished with grilled pineapple slices and green onions.
- Marinade Time: The recipe suggests a minimum of 2 hours for marinating the chicken. But you could extend this up to 24 hours to really let the flavors blend with the chicken.
- Grilling Time: Keep an eye on the grill when cooking over medium heat. The high sugar content in the marinade means the chicken can burn more easily. Adjust heat or move chicken to a cooler part of the grill if needed.
- Meat Thermometer – Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. The temperature should reach 165 degrees when the chicken is full cooked.
- Cooking Methods – We love the flavor that the charcoal grill gives the chicken. But you can also use a gas grill or bake this chicken in the oven. Bake chicken in the oven at 400 degrees in a baking dish.
- Baste Chicken – If you have reserved marinade, then you can baste the chicken while you are grilling it for added flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Yes, this is a great recipe to freeze. You can freeze this recipe uncooked or cooked. If you are freezing the chicken uncooked, place the chicken and marinade in a freezer ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. If chicken cooked, place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to enjoy this chicken again, allow chicken to thaw in the fridge overnight. Then reheat in the microwave or reheat in the oven depending on how much you have left.
More Easy Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Grilled Chicken Breast Recipes
- Grilled Chicken Tenders Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Grilled Chicken Tenders
If you make this Grilled Huli Huli Chicken Recipe, please leave us a comment. We love to hear from you.
Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/4 cups pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Optional: fresh pineapple slices for grilling
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, chicken broth, minced garlic, ground ginger, sesame oil, and ground black pepper. Stir until the brown sugar is fully dissolved.
- If using, add the optional crushed red pepper flakes.
- Place the chicken thighs in a resealable plastic bag or shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken, making sure each piece is well coated.
- Seal the bag or cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight for best results.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill for 6-8 minutes per side, or until fully cooked.
- If using, grill the optional fresh pineapple slices for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve the grilled chicken hot, optionally garnished with grilled pineapple slices.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe