Take your classic hot dog to the next level with this Smoked Hot Dogs recipe. It is loaded with smoke flavor and perfect with your favorite toppings.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Smoked Hot Dogs Recipe:
We grill out hot dogs on our charcoal grill all the time. But we wanted to give our classic hot dog a twist and smoke them. The hot dogs turned out amazing and I love the smoky flavor the smoker gives them.
If you are new to using your smoker, then I would start with this hot dog recipe. Regular hot dogs are seasoned with a simple dry rub seasoning and then smoked. Smoking hot dogs takes about and hour and the results is a flavorful hot dog served with your favorite toppings.
Instead of grilling your favorite hot dogs, place them in the smoker. You will love the smoky flavor and makes for the perfect meal for family and friends.
What is the Best Hot Dogs to Smoke?
There are certain kind of hot dogs that are best for smoking. These are some of our high quality favorites.
- Hebrew National Beef Franks – This option gives you the best smoky flavor and grill marks.
- Nathan’s Skinless Beef Franks – These smoke plump and juicy and has the best flavor.
- Ball Park Franks – We use these hot dogs the most to smoke. They are easy to find at the store and cook perfectly.
- Applegate Natural Uncured Beef – This is an organic choice but is pretty pricey.
- Oscar Meyer Beef Franks – Another family favorite choice and full of flavor.
- Beef Hot Dogs
- Hot Dog Buns
- Toppings of your Choice
For the Seasoning Mixture:
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
How to Cook Hot Dogs in the Smoker:
- Step 1 – Prepare Smoker – Preheat a smoker with a water pan to 225 degrees F.
- Step 2 – Combine Seasoning – Mix the rub ingredients together in a shallow bowl.
- Step 3 – Slice Hot Dogs – Score the hot dogs by cutting an “X” pattern into the hot dogs. Cut with a small sharp knife.
- Step 4 – Roll Hot Dogs – Then roll the hot dogs in the seasoning mixture.
- Step 5 – Add hot dogs to smoker – Place the hot dogs directly on the grill grate in the smoker. Then cook them for approximately 1 hour until they reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve the smoked hot dogs on the buns with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
The Best Wood for Smoking Hot Dogs:
For the best smoky flavored hot dogs we recommend the following wood chips for your pellet grill.
These are the best type of wood:
You can even combine wood chips for different flavors. We do recommend sticking with one of these wood options instead of using hickory wood.
How Long to Smoke Hot Dogs:
Cooking time may vary to smoke your hot dogs. It will depend on your smoker and the hot dogs. The hot dogs will smoke for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
We recommend using a meat thermometer to check temperature of the hot dogs. The internal temperature should reach 155 degrees. When the hot dogs are finished cooking.
What is the Best Temperature for Smoking Hot Dogs?
The best temperature to smoke your hot dogs is 225 degrees. Using your smoker requires patience to get the best flavor for your hot dogs.
Hot Dog Topping Ideas:
Hot dogs are great served the way it is but you can also add your favorite toppings. These condiments add color and flavor to your delicious hot dogs and hot dog bun.
- Yellow Mustard
- Shredded Cheese
- BBQ Sauce
- Slice Jalapenos
- Sliced Avocado
- Chopped Bacon
- Prepare Smoker – Make sure to preheat smoker to 225 degrees before placing hot dogs in the smoker.
- Slice Hot Dogs – Make sure to slice the hot dogs before adding the seasoning. This allows the seasoning to really enhance the flavor of the hot dogs.
- Cooking Hot Dogs – Cook hot dogs until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees. You can smoke as many hot dogs that will fit in your smoker.
- Change the Hot Dogs – Feel free to use different types of hot dogs. You can even use turkey dogs.
Additions and Substitutions:
- BBQ Sauce – Instead of rubbing a dry rub on the hot dog, you can spread BBQ sauce on the hot dogs. This makes the best sweet and savory taste.
- Wrapping in Bacon – Wrap the hot dogs in bacon before smoking. Bacon gives the hot dog so much flavor.
- Mustard Rub – Before adding the dry rub seasoning, rub the hot dog with Dijon mustard or honey mustard.
What to Serve with Smoked Hot Dogs?
Hot dogs can be served with many different side dishes. Hot dogs are perfect to feed a crowd or for a weeknight meal. These are our favorite sides.
- Mac and Cheese – Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food to serve. It is loaded with flavor and this copycat recipe will be your go-to mac and cheese recipe.
- French Fries – These french fries are the best side dish. They are easy to cook on the grill and loaded with flavor.
- Smoked Corn on the Cob – This Smoked Corn on the Cob Recipe is made with simple seasoning and easy to make. Smoky flavored corn makes the best side dish.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Leftover hot dogs is easy to reheat in the microwave for a delicious lunch the next day.
You can even cut up hot dogs and mix them in your mac and cheese or different casseroles.
You can also freeze smoked hot dogs. Place in a freezer safe container and they will last about 2 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the fridge overnight.
Print Recipe for Smoked Hot Dogs:
Smoker Hot Dogs
- 6 Beef Hot Dogs
- 6 Hot Buns
- Toppings of your Choice
- Preheat a smoker with a water pan to 225 degrees F.
- Mix the rub ingredients together in a shallow bowl.
- Score the hot dogs by cutting an “X” pattern into the hot dogs with a small knife.
- Then roll the hot dogs in the seasoning mixture.
- Place the hot dogs directly on the grate in the smoker and cook them for approximately 1 hour until they reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Serve the smoked hot dogs on the buns with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe