Smoked Sausage Recipe is a great to start if you are new to smoking meat. These smoked sausage come out juicy and full of flavor.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Smoked Sausage Recipe:
We have started to use our smoker for many different recipes. But this Smoked Sausage Recipe is one of our favorite. In less than 3 hours the sausage turns out juicy and flavorful.
The texture of the sausage has the perfect smoky flavor and is easy to make. We usually grill our sausage for our family BBQ’s but have recently starting smoking it. It is now how many family prefers it.
You can easily serve these smoke sausage slices with many different side dishes. You will love that there is very little prep which makes this a perfect weekend meal.
What types of Sausage is best to Smoke?
The great thing about the smoker, is you can use different types of sausages. We have even smoked hot dogs and brats but the sausage is one of our favorites. Try one of these other options.
- Chicken Sausage
- Turkey Sausage
- Italian Sausage
- Andouille Sausage
When choosing the right sausage to smoke is to make sure they are raw. This allows the sausage to absorb the smoking flavor. If you use pre-cooked sausage it doesn’t give you the best flavor.
Depending on the type of sausage you use, will depend on how long it takes to cook.
How to Make Smoked Sausage:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat a smoker with a water pan to 225 degrees F.
- Step 2 – Place Sausage – Place the sausages directly on the grates in the smoker. Make sure that they are not touching each other.
- Step 3 – Cook Sausage – Cook them for approximately 2 ½ – 3 hours. Cook the sausage until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Step 4 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove from the smoker and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then the sausages are ready to serve and enjoy.
Best Wood Pellets to Use:
Make sure to add chips to the smoker every 15 minutes if your smoker does not have an automatic feature. For Smoked sausage I like to use one of the following wood chips. These options give the sausage the best flavor.
- Apple Chips
Feel free to combine wood chips flavor for the best flavor.
Recipe Tips for Smoking Sausage:
- Meat Thermometer – For the best results make sure to use a meat thermometer to make sure sausage is cooked.
- Serving Smoked Sausage – You can easily serve these smoked sausage on a hot dog bun or with your favorite dipping sauce. Serve with mustard, ketchup, or BBQ sauce.
- Cooking Sausage – There is very little prep with making smoked sausage. When adding the sausage to the smoker, make sure to place them in a single layer.
- Rest Sausage – For best results and to lock in the flavor, allow the sausage to rest before serving.
- Smoked Sausage Meal Idea – This recipe is great to meal prep with. You can slice the sausage and place in individual container. Add a side of sweet potatoes, bell pepper and seasoned with red pepper flakes. Store in the refrigerator for a complete meal idea.
Why does Smoked Sausage taste Different?
Smoked sausage taste different because if its cooking methods. When you smoke it the results are a smoking filled flavor. Because the smoked sausage slow cooks for a long period it allows it have the best flavor.
How Long to Smoke Sausage:
When making this recipe, you want to start with raw sausage. Place the sausage in the smoker, and smoker for about 2 to 3 hours. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the sausage is cooked.
This ensure that it is cooked to a safe temperature. Before removing it from the smoker.
Can you Make Ahead of Time?
If you love smoked sausage as much as we do, meal prep for the week. These smoked reheat well and can be used in many different recipes.
If you are reheating smoked sausage individually, you can reheat in the microwave or in the oven. We have even reheated in the air fryer to keep that crispy texture.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Smoked sausage can be used in many different recipes. This allows you to create a completely separate meal.
Make a sausage and rice one-pot meal with rice, veggies and smoked sausage. You can even make a sausage pasta dish by heating in a skillet with peppers. Add in penne pasta with cheddar cheese, onion, and garlic for a complete meal idea.
There are many different dinner ideas that can be made with smoked sausage. Most can be made in less than 20 minutes.
What to Serve with Smoked Sausage:
Smoked sausage can create the ultimate comfort food by serving with your favorite side dishes. Here are some of our favorites.
- Mashed Potato – Make a batch of crock pot mashed potatoes for a delicious meal idea. For added flavor you can cook the potatoes in chicken broth.
- Green Beans – Another delicious vegetable is roasted green beans. They cook easily and I also like to add sweet potato onto the sheet pans for a complete meal idea.
- Potato Soup – You can easily slice up cooked smoked sausage and mix in with your favorite potato soup. This is a delicious 45 minute meal idea.
- Smoked Sausage Pasta – If you are looking for a delicious cajun recipe to serve, make smoked sausage pasta. It is creamy, delicious and a great way to serve your leftover smoked sausage.
- Smoked Sausage Hash – You can also use smoked sausage to make a breakfast hash. Add in scrambled eggs with hash browns and sausage for a complete meal idea.
Print Recipe for Smoked Sausage:
- 2 pounds Sausage
- Preheat a smoker with a water pan to 225 degrees F.
- Place the sausages directly on the grates in the smoker and make sure that they are not touching each other.
- Cook them for approximately 2 ½ – 3 hours until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from the smoker and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then the sausages are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Smoker Recipes:
- Smoked Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- Smoked Queso Recipe
- Smoked Meatloaf
- Bacon Wrapped Smoked Pork Loin Recipe