Take you classic meatloaf recipe to the next level and make Smoked Meatloaf. It is full of amazing smoky flavor and is easy to make.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Smoked Meatloaf Recipe:
Meatloaf is the ultimate comfort food. I like to make it for a Sunday night meal to start the week off right. Making it in the smoker gives the meatloaf a delicious flavor than just baking it in the oven.
If you are looking to change up your meatloaf recipe, smoke it. Smoking meatloaf does take a little longer than just baking it. But it is worth the extra time. This is the only way my family will eat this classic recipe.
This recipe is so simple and delicious and perfect to serve with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans. Even if you are not a fan of meatloaf, this recipe will definitely change your mind.
Why We Love Smoked Meatloaf:
- Simple Ingredients – Start this recipe with ground beef and mix in your favorite spices. The bread crumbs and spices really makes this meatloaf recipe so delicious.
- Easy to Make – This simple and delicious recipe is easy to make. Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and shape into a loaf and place directly on the smoker grates.
- Family Favorite – Your family will love this classic recipe made in the smoker. The smoky flavor kicks it up a notch making this our go-to Sunday night meal.
- Ground Beef
- Soft Panko Breadcrumbs
- Onions, finely chopped
- Tomato Paste
- Garlic Powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- Barbecue Sauce (divided)
How to Make Smoked Meatloaf:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat the smoke to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Mix Ingredients – Reserve 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce for the topping. Then in a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Add in onions, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Step 3 – Combine – Add Worcestershire sauce and remaining barbecue. Mix until well just combined but do not over mix.
- Step 4 – Shape Meat – Shape the mixture into a loaf.
- Step 5 – Place on Grill Grates – Place on the grill grates in the smoker. Then smoke for approximately 2-2 ½ hours. Smoke until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Step 6 – Brush with BBQ Sauce – Remove the meatloaf from the smoker. Top it with the remaining barbecue sauce and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Then the meatloaf is ready to slice, serve and enjoy.
How Long to Smoke Meatloaf:
Smoking meatloaf is a little bit longer process then baking the meatloaf in the oven. But we think it is worth extra because of the amazing smoky flavor.
Once you have combined the ingredients, place the meatloaf directly in the smoker. Smoke the meatloaf in a preheated smoker for about 2 hours to 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Then after this time, remove the meatloaf from the smoker. Then top with BBQ sauce and smoke for about 10 more minutes.
Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure your meatloaf is cooked thoroughly.
Can I Prep Meatloaf Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can easily mix the ingredients and shape into a loaf the day before cooking. This does save time and helps to quickly place the meatloaf in the smoker when ready to cook.
If making ahead of time, make sure to cover and store in the fridge. You can also freeze the uncooked meatloaf to smoke at another date. Make sure to store in freezer safe container and cook within about 3 months.
What are the Best Wood Chips to use?
For meatloaf, we recommend using sweet fruit wood chips. But any combination you have will work for this recipe in your pellet grill. Here are some of our suggestions.
Meatloaf Smoked Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Smoker – Before placing the meatloaf in the smoker, make sure to preheat it.
- Combining Ingredients – When mixing the meatloaf ingredients make sure to not overmix.
- Smoking Meatloaf – We placed the meatloaf directly on the grill grates. This is no need to use a pan or a baking dish.
- Check Temperature – We recommend using a meat thermometer. This ensures the meat loaf is cooked to the right temperature.
- Resting Meatloaf – After removing the meatloaf from the smoker, allow it to rest on a wire rack.
- Meat – We used lean ground beef but you can also use ground chuck or ground pork to make this recipe. We have used ground turkey or ground venison for amazing flavor.
- Seasoning – You can easily change the seasoning this recipe. We have used a meatloaf seasoning packet one time and it was delicious. Add in fresh parsley, herbs and more for a variation.
- Topping – If you do not have a BBQ sauce or run out, top the meatloaf with a ketchup glaze.
- Vegetables – Meatloaf is a great recipe to sneak in vegetables. We have add in bell peppers, shredded zucchini and more. None of my kids even noticed.
- Cheddar Cheese – Add in cheddar cheese or other types of cheese with the meatloaf mixture.
- Sweet and Savory Flavor – For a hint of sweetness to your meatloaf recipe, add in brown sugar.
- Onions – We used white onions, but you can also use yellow onion or red onion.
What to Serve with Smoked Meatloaf:
Smoke Meat loaf is delicious with your classic side dishes. Here are the ones we always serve.
- Corn on the Cob
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Smoked Mac and Cheese
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can easily reheat the meatloaf in the microwave in 1 minute intervals. We even love making meatloaf sandwiches with our leftovers.
Print Recipe for Smoked Meatloaf:
- Preheat the smoke to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce for the topping. Then in a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, onions, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and remaining barbecue. Mix until well just combined but do not over mix.
- Shape the mixture into a loaf.
- Place on the grill grates in the smoker and smoke for approximately 2-2 ½ hours until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the meatloaf from the smoker. Top it with the remaining barbecue sauce and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Then the meatloaf is ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Smoker Recipes:
- Smoked Queso Recipe
- Smoked Turkey Breast Tenderloins
- Smoked Bologna
- Easy Smoked Hot Dogs
- Smoked Burger Recipe
- Smoked Roast Beef