Smoked Bologna is the perfect way to enjoy this budget friendly deli meat. It makes for a delicious bologna sandwiches for an afternoon lunch.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
We love making smoker recipes. Smoking the bologna gives it amazing flavor, the perfect score marks, and easy to make. It is a great way to upgrade your childhood sandwich with your favorite BBQ rub.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
The next time you are looking for something easy to smoke, pick up a whole bologna at the deli counter at the grocery store. Top with a delicious BBQ glaze for an amazing appetizer or meal idea.
Simple ingredients makes this bologna so delicious.
- Bologna Log
- Brown Sugar
- Yellow Mustard
- Soy Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- BBQ Sauce – We love to serve this smoke flavor bologna with our favorite barbecue sauce. You can spread it on your sandwich or use as a dipping sauce. Add a barbecue rub just right before serving and after taking out of the smoker.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning that you baste the bologna with. Add in onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and paprika.
How to Cook Bologna in the Smoker:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan.
- Step 2 – Cut Slits – Score the Bologna log approximately ¼ inch deep. Cut in a diamond pattern on the entire outside of the bologna log with a paring knife.
- Step 3 – Place in a baking dish – Place the log in a baking dish.
- Step 4 – Stir the Glaze Ingredients – Stir together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Then pour this mixture over the bologna log. Use a basting brush to make sure the entire log is coated with the mixture.
- Step 5 – Place on Grill Grates – Place the entire pan in the smoker. Smoke for 3-4 hours, basting the bologna with the sauce mixture every hour.
- Step 6 – Cool – Remove the bologna from the smoker. Let cool and then slice.
- Step 7 – Serve – Slice and Serve as is or as sandwiches. Enjoy!
How Long to Smoke Bologna
After basting the chub of bologna with the glaze, place in the smoker. You will smoke the bologna for about 3 to 4 hours. Cooking time will vary based on the size of your bologna.
Remove the bologna from the smoker and allow it to rest before slicing.
- Prepare Smoker – Prepare smoker by preheating to 225 degrees.
- Prepare Bologna – We recommend making slits in the bologna with a sharp knife.
- Glaze – Combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Then pour the mixture over the bologna. Make sure the bologna is completely covered with mixture before placing in the smoker.
- Smoking Bologna – You will smoke the bologna in the baking dish. Make sure you use a baking dish that is smoker safe.
- Serving – This smoked bologna can be served hot or cold. If you are serving hot, slice in thick slices for sandwiches. You can even enjoy it cold but chilling it overnight in the fridge and enjoying the next day.
- Wood Chips – Feel free to use different types of wood chips to cook you bologna with. You can hickory, oak, or cherry. We have even used a combination of two.
How Long does Smoke Bologna Last:
If stored properly, your smoke bologna can last about 7-14 days. Once you have open the package, it needs to be cooked within 7 days.
How to Serve Smoke Bologna:
The great thing about smoke bologna is your can serve it hot or cold. It is great as an appetizer or for your bologna sandwich.
I love to serve this bologna on white bread with a side of smoke corn on the cob. You can even cut in chunks and serve as an appetizer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 7-14 days.
Yes, we love to smoke a whole chub of bologna and smoke the leftovers. This makes the perfect deli meat to serve when feeding a crowd.
We recommend slicing the smoke bologna, then wrapping each slice with plastic wrap and then foil. Place in a freeze safe container or zip lock bag and then freeze.
Frozen bologna will last about 2 to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight and then reheat or enjoy cold.
Easy Smoked Meat Recipes
If you make this smoked bologna recipe, make sure to leave us a star review.
- Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan.
- Score the Bologna log approximately ¼ inch deep in a diamond pattern on the entire outside of the bologna log.
- Place the log in a baking dish.
- Stir together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour this mixture over the bologna log. Use a basting brush to make sure the entire log is coated with the mixture.
- Place the entire pan in the smoker. Smoke for 3-4 hours, basting the bologna with the sauce mixture every hour.
- Remove the bologna from the smoker. Let cool and then slice.
- Serve as is or as sandwiches. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe