Smoked Beef Short Ribs is the ultimate comfort food. They cook tender, juicy and amazing flavor. Add this smoker recipe for your next BBQ.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Smoked Beef Short Ribs Recipe:
We love grilling out ribs during the summer time. But since getting a smoker, we have enjoyed them even more. The meat is falling off the bone tender and always a crowd favorite.
The smoker allows for the ribs to cook slow until they have the best flavor. The added dry rub will leave your friends and family wanting more.
The next time you want to cook ribs, make these Smoked short ribs. You will be so impressed how the meat just fall-off the bones without using a sharp knife. You may even like these Grilled Country Style Ribs.
What are Beef Short Ribs?
Beef Short Ribs are one of my favorite ribs to cook. They are cut of meat that is taken from the ribs, brisket, chuck plate of a cattle.
They are a short portion of the rib bone and surrounding areas of the meat. These short plate ribs can vary in thickness of but are so flavorful.
- Beef Short Ribs
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Barbecue Sauce
For the Seasoning Mixture:
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
How to Make Beef Short Ribs in the Smoker:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat the smoker to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Prepare Ribs – Remove any membranes or excess fat from the short ribs.
- Step 3 – Combine Seasoning Mixture – Mix together the seasoning mixture. Then rub the mixture on both sides of the short ribs. Let the ribs rest at room temperature with the seasoning mixture on for 1-2 hours.
- Step 4 – Smoke Ribs – Place the ribs in the smoker and cook for 3-4 hours. Spritz the ribs with apple cider vinegar every 30 minutes. Continue to cook until the Ribs have reached an internal temperature of 200-205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 5 – Top with BBQ Sauce – Rub the ribs with the barbecue sauce. Cook for the last 15-30 minutes of the cook time.
- Step 6 – Remove Ribs – Remove the ribs from the smoker. Let the rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Then they are ready to serve and enjoy.
Beef Short Ribs Seasoning Recipe:
We used a simple seasoning to have short marinate in. This dry rub can easily be changed to what you prefer. This blend is easy to make but adding in onion powder or other special seasoning is great too.
How Long to Smoke Beef Short Ribs:
Smoking beef ribs slow allows for the ribs to cook tender and juicy. After marinating the ribs in the dry rub. Place them in the smoker. Allow the ribs to cook for about 3 to 4 hours.
Cooking time will vary just make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure ribs are cooked before removing.
How do you know when they are done:
Ribs are done when they have reached an internal temperature of at least 200 degrees. We recommend using a instant-read meat thermometer to check ribs.
This ensure that the ribs are cooked to a safe temperature before removing it from the smoker.
Can you Bake Short Beef Ribs?
Yes, if you do not have a smoker or would prefer to bake them, then you can.
- Season the ribs as the recipe indicates.
- Place the short ribs in a baking dish and cover the aluminum foil.
- Place in a preheated oven at 275 degrees.
- Bake the ribs for at least 2 hours. You may need to bake the ribs for at least 3 hours. It all depends on your oven.
- You will know ribs are done when the meat is pulling away from the bones. They are also fork tender and loaded with flavor.
- We recommend to slow cook the ribs and not rush the process when cooking in the oven.
Beef Short Ribs Smoked Recipe Tips:
- Wood Pellets – Make sure to add chips to the smoker every 15 minutes. If your smoker does not have an automatic feature.
- Wood Chips – There are many types of wood chips to smoke the ribs in. We recommend using cherry, hickory, or any nice bark.
- Preparing the Smoker – Prepare smoker by preheating to 225 degrees. This is very important before placing the ribs in the smoker.
- Prepare the Ribs – If the short ribs have not been prepared beforehand. Make sure to remove any membranes or excess fat from the short ribs. This also includes the silver skin of the ribs.
- Resting Ribs – We recommend allow the ribs to rest with the dry rub on for at least an hour. This allows the spices to marinate giving the ribs the best flavor.
- Spray Ribs – Every 30 minutes we recommend spraying the ribs with a spray bottle with apple cider vinegar. You can also add in apple juice to balance out the flavor.
- Rest after Smoking – To enhance the flavor and moisture in the ribs, allow ribs to rest after removing from smoker. We recommend covering with aluminum foil.
What to Serve with Smoked Short Ribs?
There are many different sides that you can enjoy with these short ribs. These are some of our favorites.
- Smoked Corn on the Cob – This Smoked Corn on the Cob Recipe is made with simple seasoning and easy to make. Smoky flavored corn makes the best side dish.
- Pasta Salad – When we BBQ we love to make a simple pasta salad. It is the perfect summertime side dish as it can be made in a variety of ways.
- Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes – Simple ingredient Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes makes an easy side dish. Bake in the oven or place on the grill for a delicious cheesy side.
Smoked Short Ribs Recipe Variation Ideas:
- Change the Rib – This rib recipe can be used with different cuts of ribs. They all cook perfectly in the smoker and always a crowd favorite. Make baby back ribs, chuck ribs, or pork ribs.
- Change the Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer.
- BBQ Sauce – We love to baste the ribs with BBQ after they are cooked. Feel free to use homemade BBQ or any type or flavor of sauce that you prefer.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. These ribs store great and can used for many different recipes. You can mix the shredded ribs for a casserole or enchiladas.
Print Recipe for Smoked Short Ribs:
Smoked Short Ribs
- 2 pounds Beef Short Ribs
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce
- Preheat the smoker to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove any membranes or excess fat from the short ribs.
- Mix together the seasoning mixture and rub the mixture on both sides of the short ribs. Let the ribs rest at room temperature with the seasoning mixture on for 1-2 hours.
- Place the ribs in the smoker and cook for 3-4 hours. Spritz the ribs with apple cider vinegar every 30 minutes. Continue to cook until the Ribas have reached an internal temperature of 200-205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rub the ribs with the barbecue sauce for the last 15-30 minutes of the cook time.
- Remove the ribs from the smoker. Let the rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Then they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Smoker Recipes:
- Smoked Turkey Breast Tenderloins Recipe
- Smoked Ribeye
- Bacon Wrapped Smoked Pork Loin Recipe
- Smoked Chicken Breast Recipe