Simple ingredient Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes makes an easy side dish. Bake in the oven or place on the grill for a delicious cheesy side.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes Recipe:
Easy Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil only requires a few simple ingredients to make the best grilled side dish. The slice potatoes are seasoned and wrapped in foil and grilled. Then topped with shredded cheese and heated to perfection.
We love making foil packets because of how easy it is to prepare. This side dish is budget friendly and easy to clean up when prepared in the foil packets. Toss on the grill or bake in the oven to complete any meal.
The potatoes are cooked tender thanks to the foil packets. Cooking in foil locks in the flavor and cooks evenly. Add your favorite cheese, seasoning and even potatoes to make this side dish your own.
- Russet Potatoes
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
How to Make Cheesy Potato Foil Packs:
- Step 1 – Prepare Potatoes – Peel the potatoes and slice into 1/4” thick slices.
- Step 2 – Slice Onion – Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Step 3 – Prepare Foil – Place aluminum foil on the counter and spray with a non-stick cooking spray. I used 1 large piece of foil per each potato.
- Step 4 – Add Potatoes and Seasoning to foil – Place the potatoes and onion slices on the foil. Season potatoes in each packet with approximately ¼ tsp of the Salt and Pepper and top with 1 Tablespoon of the butter.
- Step 5 – Foil Foil – Fold each foil packet close and seal tightly.
- Step 6 – Grill Potatoes – Grill over medium-high heat for 30 minutes – 40 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Step 7 – Top with Cheese – Remove the heat, carefully open each of the foil packs. Top each pack with approximately ¼ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Reseal the packs and let the heat from the potatoes melt the cheese (should take just 3-5 minutes).
- Step 8 – Serve – Serve warm and enjoy.
Can I add more Veggies?
Yes, you can add more vegetables to this cheesy foil packets. Here are some of my favorites:
- Slice Zucchini
- Bell Peppers
How to Cook Cheesy Potato Foil Packets in the Oven:
These cheesy potato foil packets can be baked in the oven very easily.
- Prepare the foil packets as indicated in the recipe card.
- Place the foil packet in the oven at 375 degrees.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Then top with the shredded cheese and let the heat from the potatoes melt the cheese.
- Serve warm and enjoy while cheese is melted.
After you have pulled the potatoes off the grill and topped with cheese, add your favorite topping. These are some of our suggestions.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Slice Jalapenos
- Green Onions
- Bacon Bits
We used simple seasoning when we made this foil pack cheesy potatoes dish. There are many different seasoning you can use.
Add in one or more of these options for a delicious addition to this recipe.
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ranch Seasoning
- Italian Seasoning
- Fresh Herbs such as Rosemary or Thyme.
Tips for Grilled Cheesy Potatoes:
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil – We used heavy duty foil to make sure that it doesn’t break when cooking.
- Carefully Open Foil Packs – After you have finished baking potatoes, be careful open the foil packs. Hot steam will come out when you open the foil packs. Use a fork to pierce the packs before opening, if you prefer.
- Cut Potatoes evenly – Make sure to cut the potatoes about the same size so they cook evenly. Thickness of the potatoes will depend on how long it takes to cook them.
- Serve Immediately – For best results we recommend serving these potatoes immediately.
- Add Cheese – Add cheese after baking the potatoes foil packets for at least 20 minutes.
- Shredded Cheese – Make sure to shred the cheese from hunk cheese so it melts evenly. Pre-shredded cheese has added ingredients which is not necessary.
- Change the Cheese – We used cheddar cheese but you can use different types of cheese. Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese would be delicious on the potatoes.
- Change the Potatoes – Russet Potatoes work great in this recipe. But you can also use red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes for a change in flavor.
- Olive Oil – Instead of using butter, you can spray the foil and potatoes with olive oil.
- Add Chicken – Add diced chicken to the cheesy foil packets for a complete meal idea.
Do the Potatoes need to be boiled before Grilling?
There is no need to boil the potatoes before grilling them. We like to prepare the potatoes by peeling them and then slicing into about the same size pieces.
Then add the potatoes to the foil packet with the seasoning and onion and grill. The potatoes are cooked to perfection.
How to Store Potato Packets Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This potatoes are even delicious the next day. Store in individual containers and they reheat easily in the microwave.
Print Recipe here for Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes:
Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and slice into 1/4” thick slices.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Place foil on the counter and spray with a non-stick cooking spray. I used 1 piece of foil per each potato.
- Place the potatoes and onion slices on the foil. Season each packet with approximately ¼ tsp of the Salt and Pepper and top with 1 Tablespoon of the butter.
- Fold each foil packet close and seal tightly.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the heat, carefully open each of the foil packs. Top each pack with approximately ¼ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Reseal the packs and let the heat from the potatoes melt the cheese (should take just 3-5 minutes).
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Foil Pack Side Dishes:
- Grilled Brussel Sprouts in Foil
- Foil Pack Nachos Recipe
- Foil Pack Sweet Potatoes
- Foil Pack Grilled Mushrooms Recipe
- How to Grill Corn on the Cob in Foil
- See Best Foil Pack Recipes for more ideas.