Smoked Chicken Breasts is a delicious way to cook juicy chicken that is seasoned perfectly. Simple easy chicken recipe that makes a perfect weeknight meal.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
This is the Best Smoked Chicken Breast Recipe that you will ever make in your smoker. All you need is simple seasoning and chicken breast to make a family favorite dinner idea.
We have smoked many different cuts of meat, but there is something about a simple chicken breast. It always comes out so flavorful and juicy. Chicken breast are inexpensive and can be served with many different side dishes.
If you have recently purchased a smoker, this is the recipe to start with. You can easily season the chicken breast with a variety of seasoning blends. Then place in the smoker to cook to perfection. See more Smoked chicken recipes.
What Temperature to Smoke Chicken Breasts?
To cook the perfect chicken breast, set the temperature to 225 degrees. This will cook your chicken breast in about 1 to 2 hours. Cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
For the Rub:
- Brown Sugar
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Onion Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Black Pepper
How to Smoke Chicken Breast:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat a smoker with a water pan to 225 degrees F.
- Step 2 – Combine Ingredients – Mix the rub ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Step 3 – Dry Chicken – Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture from the chicken.
- Step 4 – Season Chicken – Then rub the olive oil and rub mixture onto both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Step 5 – Place chicken in smoker – Then place the chicken directly on the grates in the smoker.
- Step 6 – Cook Chicken – Cook the chicken for 1-2 hours depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Cook until the chicken internal temperature reaches of 165 degrees F.
- Step 7 – Remove Chicken – Remove the chicken from the smoker. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
How long to Smoke Chicken Breast:
Smoking chicken is a delicious way to cook chicken. Depending on the thickness of your chicken it will take around an hour to cook the chicken. We recommend to use an instant read thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked.
Having a meat thermometer to check chicken temperature is key to make sure chicken doesn’t get dry.
How do you know that Chicken is done?
Smoke chicken recipes is one of my favorites way to cook chicken. But keeping an eye on the chicken during the smoking process make sure it doesn’t dry out.
You will know the chicken is done, when the meat thermometer reaches a temperature of 165 degrees. If you check the chicken and it is reading 160 degrees, you can remove from smoker. Place chicken in a foil lined pan to finish cooking.
Tips for Smoking Chicken Breast:
- Wood Chips – Make sure to add chips to the smoker every 15 minutes. If your pellet grill smoker does not have an automatic feature.
- Meat Thermometer – Use a meat thermometer to check chicken for doneness. This ensure chicken is cooked at a safe temperature. Before removing chicken from the smoker check the temperature.
- Dry Chicken – Dry chicken with a paper towel to remove any moisture before seasoning chicken.
- Seasoning Chicken – Thoroughly chicken with the combine seasoning blend. This helps to give the chicken so much flavor.
- Cooking Chicken – Cook smoky chicken for at least an hour or until temperature is 165 degrees. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- Rest Chicken – One you remove the chicken from the smoker, allow the smoky flavor chicken to rest. We recommend resting for at least 5 minutes.
- Meal Prep – This smoked chicken is a great to use for meal prep for the week. You can easily slice it to serve in chicken, make quesadillas or serve over rice.
Variations for Smoked Chicken:
Smoked chicken can be made in a variety of seasoning. The seasoning is easy but you can change it to what you prefer.
- BBQ Sauce – Baste your smoked chicken with BBQ Sauce for added flavor.
- Dry Rub – This dry rub is blended easily with simple ingredients.
- Chicken – You can smoke chicken thighs or chicken tenders with this recipe. You will need to adjust your cooking time.
- Make it Spicy – If you like a little kick in your marinades, add in some red pepper flakes.
- Add in Fresh Herbs – Add in fresh herbs, like fresh cilantro, fresh parsley or basil to this marinade.
What to Serve with Smoked Chicken:
Pick one of these delicious sides to complete you smoked chicken meal. You can prepare sides on the grill, Blackstone or indoors.
- Grilled Vegetables in Foil – These vegetables can be prepared on the grill or in the oven. This make a light and delicious side dish to pair with your smoked chicken.
- Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes – Easy Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil only requires a few simple ingredients. This makes the best grilled side dish. The slice potatoes are seasoned and wrapped in foil and grilled or baked in the oven.
- Baked Potatoes on the Grill – Bake Potatoes on the grill is one of our favorite side dishes to make. They are budget friendly and everyone can choose whatever toppings they want.
- Mashed Potatoes – My kids could eat mashed potatoes every day. So I try to make them at least once a week with this easy recipe.
- Rice and Grilled Chicken – Rice is also tasty. We actually keep this in the freezer so it is so easy on busy nights. I like to add in some roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
- See Side Dishes for Smoked Chicken for more ideas
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. This smoked chicken breast stores easily and reheats in the microwave. Slice the chicken and serve with rice, roasted vegetables or a side salad.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, you can use different seasoning to smoke chicken. Add in extra spices to give it different flavors. Feel free to use a taco seasoning blend.
Smoked chicken need to be cooked at 225 degrees.
When choosing a wood chip to cook the chicken, it needs to compliment the chicken. We recommend choosing has a pecan, mesquite, cherry or apple flavor.
Print Recipe here for Smoked Chicken Breast:
Smoked Chicken Breast
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Preheat a smoker with a water pan to 225 degrees F.
- Mix the rub ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture from the chicken.
- Then rub the olive oil and rub mixture onto both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Then place the chicken directly on the grates in the smoker.
- Cook the chicken for 1-2 hours depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the smoker. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Smoker Recipes:
- Smoked Salmon Recipe
- Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Smoked Turkey Legs
- Smoked Bone-In Turkey Breast
- Smoked Hot Dogs
- Smoked Queso
- Boneless Smoked Ham Recipe
- Cream Cheese Smoker Recipe
- Smoked Pork Chops Recipe