Copycat Chipotle Chicken Recipe is a quick and easy chicken recipe that taste delicious. Skip the restaurant and make your favorite chicken at home.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Chipotle Copycat Chicken Recipe:
There is something about Chipotle’s Chicken that my entire family loves. I decided to make it at home with this easy copycat recipe. The delicious marinade makes this chicken quick and easy.
After the chicken is marinated it easy grills for a quick weeknight meal. You can easily serve this chicken many different ways or meal prep for the week.
This Copycat Chipotle Chicken Recipe is packed with flavor. This copycat recipe has become my go-to recipe to make our chicken with. Use this recipe for chicken breast or chicken thighs for a crowd pleasing recipe.
Easy Chipotle Chicken Marinade:
Chipotle Chicken Marinade is delicious and loaded with flavor. We love to marinade our chicken for at least 6 or overnight. This marinade adds flavor and the ingredients can easily be changed.
Try one of these ingredients to change or add variation to these recipes.
- Chipotle Peppers
- Chipotle Chiles
- Adobo Sauce
- Ancho Chiles
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
If adding in chipotle peppers to your marinade, you may need to blend with a food processor.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Black Pepper
- Chipotle Chili Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Ground Cumin
- White Vinegar
- Minced Garlic
- Vegetable Oil (divided)
How to Make Copycat Chipotle Chicken :
- Step 1 – Mix Marinade Ingredients – Add the salt, pepper, chili powder, dried oregano, and cumin. Then add in white vinegar, minced garlic, half of the vegetable oil and water in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Step 2 – Marinate Chicken – Add the chicken and marinade to a large ziplock bag. Seal and let the chicken marinade for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Step 3 – Heat Grill – Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Step 4 – Remove Excess Marinade – Remove the chicken from the marinade and gently shake off any excess marinade. Place chicken on the grill.
- Step 5 – Grill Chicken – Place on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Cook the chicken until the marinated chicken cooks thoroughly. Or it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Step 6 – Chop Chicken – Remove the chicken from the grill. Roughly chop the chicken.
- Step 7 – Crispy Chicken – Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the chopped chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes until it’s crispy.
- Step 8 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove from the heat, serve immediately while warm and enjoy.
How do you know when Chicken is done:
Cooking time will depend on what temperature you put your grill on. If you use medium high heat and depending of the thickness of the chicken. It will take about 7 to 10 minutes to cook your chicken.
An instant read meat thermometer is the best way to know when the chicken is ready to enjoy.
Make sure that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use the meat thermometer at the thickest part of the chicken thigh.
Chipotle Mexican Grill Chicken Recipe Tips:
- Hot Grill – Make sure your grill is hot. Cooking chicken on a hot grill helps to keep them juicy.
- Same Size Chicken – When preparing your chicken, make sure that they are all even thickness. This makes sure they are evenly cooked. You may need to use a meat mallet to thin out the chicken.
- Marinate Chicken – We recommend marinating chicken for about 6 hours or overnight. After marinating chicken remove any excess marinade before placing on the grill.
- Allow Chicken rest – After chicken is done cooking, make sure you allow chicken to rest. This locks in the juices and the flavoring.
- Cutting Chicken – Once the chicken is cooked, we like to go ahead and cut on a cutting board. This allows us to easily add to many different recipes to enjoy quick and easy.
Can you Bake Chipotle Chicken in the Oven?
Yes, this recipe is perfect to bake in the oven. When the weather is colder, we bake this chicken in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Make sure to still use your meat thermometer to make sure is done. The chicken needs to have an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Once it reaches this temperature, it can be served.
If you prefer cooking indoors, use a grill pan over your stove. This allows you to get the grill marks on the chicken.
Chipotle Chicken Copycat Variation Ideas:
- Change the Chicken – You can easily use skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenders for this recipe.
- Marinade Ingredients – Feel free to change the ingredients for the marinade to what you prefer.
- Crispy Chicken – To make the chicken closely taste like Chipotle Chicken, we like to get it slightly crispy. You do not need to but this is one of our favorite parts of this recipe.
- Vegetable Oil – Substitute vegetable oil for olive oil, if you prefer. You can also use avocado oil or apple cider vinegar.
How to Use Leftover Cooked Chipotle Chicken:
Cooked Chipotle Chicken is one of our favorite recipes to have in the fridge for a quick lunch or dinner. There are many ways to use the leftover chicken and here are some of our favorites.
- Burrito Bowls – We love making burrito bowls with the leftover chicken. Serve with brown rice or white rice. Top with cilantro lime rice, pinto beans, black beans and sour cream.
- Chipotle Chicken Tacos – Make the best chicken tacos with this chicken. Fill corn tortillas with chicken, chipotle corn salsa, and lettuce for a delicious meal idea. We like to squeeze fresh lime juice for a delicious touch.
- Chicken Salads – If you are looking for a healthy option, top the chicken on green salads. Add your favorite fajita veggies, avocados, and chopped red onion for a delicious salad.
Can you Freeze Chipotle Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze chipotle chicken. You can freeze the chicken in the marinade or freeze the chicken after it has been cooked.
Place the chicken in a ziplock bag with the marinade and place in the freezer. We recommend cooking the chicken within 2 to 3 months.
If freezing chicken after it is cooked, allow the chicken to cool to room temperature. Then place in a freezer safe container and place in the freezer. Serve within 3 months.
When ready to enjoy, allow to thaw in the fridge overnight, then cook and serve.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Place the chicken in the refrigerator in a plastic bag make sure it is stored properly.
Print Recipe for Copycat Chipotle Chicken:
- Add the salt, pepper, chili powder, dried oregano, cumin, white vinegar, minced garlic, half of the vegetable oil and water in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken and marinade to a large ziplock bag. Seal and let the chicken marinade for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and gently shake off any excess marinade.
- Place on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken from the grill. Roughly chop the chicken.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the chopped chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes until it’s crispy,
- Remove from the heat, serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Grilled Chicken Recipes:
- Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Quarters Recipe
- Chicken Alfredo Grilled Recipe