Greek Chicken Marinade is a combination of healthy, fresh ingredients that makes the best marinade. This marinade takes minutes to prepare.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Greek Chicken Marinade Recipe:
Greek Marinade for Chicken is simply made with Greek Yogurt, fresh squeeze lemon juice, and fresh herbs. Grab these fresh and healthy ingredients and make the best marinade for your chicken.
We make a lot of grilled chicken especially during the summertime. So I like to change up the flavors of the chicken. This Greek Chicken Marinade is now my go-to because how healthy and fresh it taste.
If you are planning on grilling out chicken this weekend, try this simple marinade. Your family will be impressed because of how the taste compares to restaurant quality chicken. Add your favorite sides to complete you dinner.
What is a Greek Chicken Marinade?
Greek Chicken Marinade is a delicious marinade that has a base of Greek Yogurt and olive oil. These two ingredients are mixed with fresh squeezed lemon, fresh herbs, and simple seasoning.
These ingredients are combined to make the best marinade that you will want the ingredients on hand at all times. Marinating chicken in yogurt makes for a full of flavor chicken breast.
What are the 3 Main Ingredients when Marinating?
Creating a marinade for your chicken is the key to adding so much flavor and helps keep your chicken juicy. To create a good chicken marinade it will need the following key ingredients. An acid, an oil, and a flavoring agent make up the marinade ingredients.
- Acid – Vinegar, wine, or citrus
- Oil – Olive Oil or Sesame Oil
- Flavoring Agent – Herbs and Spices
These ingredients are essential to make the chicken flavorful. Also the texture of the chicken is tender. We highly recommend this marinate to use for your chicken recipes.
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Garlic Powder
- Lemons, juiced
- Lemon, zest
- Fresh Thyme (chopped)
- Dried Oregano
- Fresh Rosemary (chopped)
- Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- Black Pepper
How to Make Green Chicken Marinade:
- Step 1 – Prepare Marinade – In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except for the chicken. Mix well to combine with the garlic and oregano.
- Step 2 – Place chicken in marinade – Add the chicken to the bowl and make sure that it’s covered with the marinade. Marinade the chicken for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Step 3 – Prepare the Grill – Then preheat your grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Rub oil on the grill grates to prevent the chicken from sticking to the grill.
- Step 4 – Place chicken on the Grill – Place the chicken directly on the grill grate and cook for 6-7 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Step 5 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove the chicken from the grill, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Then the chicken is ready to slice, serve and enjoy! Season the chicken with salt and pepper then serve.
Tips for Greek Yogurt Chicken Marinade:
- Meat Thermometer – Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked to a safe temperature. The internal temperature reaches 165 then chicken is done.
- Choosing the right Oil – Combining the oil with the other ingredients is essential for this marinade. We used an olive oil but you can also use an Asian oil if that works with your other ingredients.
- Fresh Ingredients – For the best flavor of this marinade make sure to use fresh herbs and spices. We also recommend to using fresh squeeze lemon for the best flavor.
- Marinade – Make sure to discard any of the marinade that you soaked the chicken in. You do not want to reuse this marinade.
- Chicken – You can easily use other chicken cutlets. We have used this marinade for chicken thighs or chicken tender for a delicious meal idea.
- Garlic – We used garlic powder but you can also use minced garlic or fresh garlic.
- Pound Chicken – To flatten out the chicken on the thickest part, we recommend pounding the chicken. This helps to cook the chicken evenly.
How long to Marinate Chicken:
Marinating your chicken it recommended because it adds so much flavor to your chicken. Putting together a quick marinade that includes easy spices and oil is easy to do.
We recommend marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes and no more for hours. If marinating the chicken for to long it could cause the chicken to break down.
How to Grill Greek Marinated Chicken:
Prepare the grill by preheating it and oiling the grill grates. Place the marinated chicken on the grill and grill chicken about 5 minutes on each side. Cooking time may vary based on the size of your chicken.
Make sure to use a meat thermometer to check the chicken internal temperature. The reading should show 165 degrees to know that the chicken is done and cooked through.
Can you Bake Greek Chicken?
We use marinades for multiple ways of cooking chicken. You can marinade your chicken and toss it in the crock pot or even do bake chicken.
- After marinating chicken, place the chicken in a baking dish.
- Place in a preheated oven at 400 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes.
- I like to flip and cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Use meat thermometer to ensure chicken is cooked.
We also love to make a stir fry with the marinated chicken. It taste so much better than take out and I know exactly the ingredients that have been added.
What to Serve with Greek Chicken:
We eat Grilled Chicken a lot especially during the summer months. When we grill out, I like to make easy sides to get dinner on the table with ease. Here are some of my favorite sides:
- Baked Potatoes – We love using our instant pot. It has been a game changer for my family. This instant pot baked potatoes recipe is ready in about 15 minutes.
- Green Beans – Adding a side of green beans is easy option. It is simple but delicious.
- Rice and Grilled Chicken – Rice is also tasty. We actually keep this in the freezer so it is so easy on busy nights. Learn how to freeze rice and you can make this meal even easier. I love to grab the rice from the freezer and we all can enjoy a really easy meal.
- Steamed Broccoli – Add a simple side salad or steam broccoli in the microwave for another easy side idea.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftover chicken in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Storing grilled chicken is easy to do. Place chicken in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Place in the refrigerator and use it for multiple meals through out the week.
I like to make individual containers so that it is easy to grab and go as we head out the door. This is my husbands favorite meal to make for lunch. We add some rice and vegetables and he can head out the door.
How to Reheat:
When we are ready to reheat grilled chicken, we place on a microwave safe dish and heat. We start with 30 seconds intervals so that we don’t heat to long.
Heating your chicken to long, will dry it out. You can also place in a baking dish and heat in the oven for about 10 minutes. This is the way we do it if we have a lot of chicken leftovers.
Print Recipe here for Greek Chicken Marinade:
Greek Chicken Marinade
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except for the chicken. Mix well to combine.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and make sure that it’s covered with the marinade. Marinade the chicken for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Then preheat your grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Rub oil on the grill grates to prevent the chicken from sticking to the grill. Place the chicken directly on the grill grate and cook for 6-7 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Then the chicken is ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe