Grilled Acorn Squash is a delicious side dish that cooks perfectly on the grill. Healthy, delicious side that is seasoned and topped with a drizzle of honey.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Grilled Acorn Squash Recipe:
We love to grill out vegetables during the summertime and this squash recipes is one of our favorites. This is a traditional holiday side dish, but grilling it makes it the perfect summer side dish.
The seasoning for this grilled squash recipe is simple and gives the squash so much flavor. This Acorn Squash can be placed on the grill or roast in the oven.
Everyone will rave how delicious this acorn squash is. If you love butternut squash or spaghetti squash then you love this Grilled Acorn Squash.
What does Acorn Squash taste like?
Acorn Squash is a milder taste squash but when grilled it gives it a smoky flavor. It has a sweet flavor but slightly nutty. You will love the soft texture and full of flavor.
- Acorn Squash
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
How to Make Acorn Squash on the Grill:
- Step 1 – Cut Acorn – Slice the acorn squash into approximately 8 slices that are – approximately ½ inch thick. Remove and discard the seeds when slicing the squash.
- Step 2 – Heat Grill – Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Step 3 – Oil Squash – Brush the olive oil onto both sides of the acorn squash slices.
- Step 4 – Season Squash – Then season the slices with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Rub the seasonings into the acorn squash slices.
- Step 5 – Oil the Grill – Rub the grill grates with oil to keep the squash from sticking to the grill.
- Step 6 – Add squash to grill – Place the acorn squash slices on the grill over direct heat.
- Step 7 – Grill – Grill for 20-30 minutes (flipping halfway through the cook time) until the squash is tender.
- Step 8 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove the squash from the grill. Drizzle the squash slices with the honey and serve warm. Enjoy!
Can you Eat Acorn Squash Skin?
Yes, you can eat the skin on the acorn squash. It it important that the squash is cooked to fork tender.
How to Cut Acorn Squash:
- Wash and dry acorn squash to prepare to cut the squash.
- Cut the top off the stem and base of the squash with a sharp knife.
- Scoop the seeds with a spoon and remove the seeds, steam and base away.
- Slice the squash into 2-inch slices to prepare for grilling.
- Then it is ready to be oiled and seasoning mixture added.
- Prepare Grill – Preheat grill and oil the grates to prepare to grill the squash.
- Seasoning – Make sure to oil both sides of the acorn squash and season.
- Grilling Squash Halves – This vegetable takes a little longer to cook on the grill. Place the squash on indirect heat and cook for about 20 minutes. We recommend testing it out with a fork to make sure it is tender.
- Serving – This squash is best served warm. Drizzle with honey for the perfect combination of flavors.
- Adding the Seasoning – Instead of sprinkling the seasoning over the top, you can toss the squash in a large bowl. Add the seasoning and combine everything until completely covered.
What Meat goes with Grilled Acorn Squash:
This delicious vegetable pairs perfectly with many different meats. When we grill out we like to make everything on the grill for an easy clean up. These are some of our favorites.
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs – The chicken is marinated perfectly in a pineapple juice and soy sauce marinade. This gives the chicken so much flavor when grilled to perfection.
- Grilled Steak – Make this delicious T-Bone steak the next time you make squash. It is easy to make and the results are a tender and juicy steak.
- Seasoning – We used simple seasoning to make this squash recipe. Feel free to change or sprinkle in other options. You can add in fresh herbs, thyme, or rosemary for added flavor.
- Topping Squash – We love the flavor that the honey gives the squash. But you can easily use maple syrup or combine brown sugar and melted butter in a small bowl. Drizzle over the top for the perfect blend of sweetness.
- Leftovers – If you are making squash during the winter, add the roasted squash to your favorite soups. It cooks easily and adds flavor and texture to your soups.
How to Cook in Acorn Squash in the Oven:
If you making this squash in the colder months, feel free to make roasted acorn squash. It is loaded with flavor and easy to make in the oven.
Place the acorn squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Top with seasoning and I even like to add in ground cinnamon for delicious warm flavors.
Bake the squash in the oven preheated to 350 degrees. Bake for about 30 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Print Recipe for Grilled Acorn Squash:
Grilled Acorn Squash
- Slice the acorn squash into approximately 8 slices that are approximately ½ inch thick. Remove and discard the seeds when slicing the squash.
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Rub the olive oil onto both sides of the acorn squash slices.
- Then season the slices with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Rub the seasonings into the acorn squash slices.
- Rub the grill grates with oil to keep the squash from sticking to the grill.
- Place the acorn squash slices on the grill over direct heat.
- Grill for 20-30 minutes (flipping halfway through the cook time) until the squash is tender.
- Remove the squash from the grill. Drizzle the squash slices with the honey and serve warm. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe