If you are looking for a delicious summer side dish, make Grilled Yellow Squash. It is seasoned and charred perfectly on the grill.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Grilled Yellow Squash Recipe:
We love to grill out vegetables with our grilled meats. This summer squash grills perfectly and always a family favorite. Grilled Squash is a quick and easy side dish and there are many ways to season it.
Add the squash to your charcoal grill or gas grill for a delicious side dish. It cooks fast and the texture of the squash comes out perfectly.
You can place it directly on the grill or place in a grill pan or grill basket. The next time you need an easy side dish make this grilled squash recipe.
- Medium Yellow Squash
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
How to Cook Yellow Squash on the Grill:
- Step 1 – Prepare Squash – Clean the squash and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Step 2 – Cut Squash – Cut each of the squash into quarters, lengthwise.
- Step 3 – Season Squash – Coat the squash spears with the olive oil, and season them with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Step 4 – Prepare Grill – Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit). Then rub oil on the grill grates to prevent the squash from sticking to the grill grates.
- Step 5 – Cook Squash – Cook each side for approximately 3-4 minutes per side until the squash is just fork tender. Watch them closely to make sure that they do not get over cooked.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove from the grill, serve immediately while warm and enjoy.
How to Cut Squash for Grilling:
There are many ways to cut squash for the grill. Depending on the how you grill it will determine how you slice it.
- Squash Rounds – After washing squash you can cut into 2-inch rounds. I like using rounds when I am placing in foil or in a grill basket.
- Slice into Quarters – Since we love the way squash grills, we like to cut into thick slices. This option is easy to do and the squash cooks perfectly.
- Prepare Squash – Wash and prepare squash before grilling. Wash and dry the zucchini then slice into quarters.
- Season Squash – Top the zucchini with your favorite seasoning before placing on the grill. Many different seasoning to use to give it more flavor. Olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder are great options but feel free to add your own.
- Grilling Squash Slices – Watch the squash closely as it grills over medium heat. It doesn’t take long to cook to make it fork tender. Cook time will vary based on your grill and how thick you cut your squash.
- Prepare Grill – Make sure your grill is preheated and oil the grates. You can oil the grates with avocado oil or vegetable oil. This prevents the squash from sticking to the grill grates.
Seasoning Variations for Grilled Squash Recipe:
Summer vegetables can be seasoned in many different ways. You can use these seasoning to grill out squash or grilled zucchini. Try one of these delicious seasoning the next time you grill our vegetables.
- Fresh Herbs
- Italian Seasoning
- Taco Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning
Once the zucchini is done cooking and right before serving you can easily add a topping.
- Drizzle the top with lemon juice
- Top with Parmesan Cheese or chopped parsley
Do I need to Peel the Skin of Yellow Squash?
When cooking yellow squash there is no need to peel the yellow skin. We do recommend washing and drying before grilling.
Do you need to Salt Squash before Grilling?
Since squash has a high water content, we recommend salting before cooking. This prevents the dish to turning into a soggy dish.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Print Recipe for Grilled Yellow Squash:
Grilled Yellow Squash
- Clean the squash and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Cut each of the squash into quarters, lengthwise.
- Coat the squash spears with the olive oil and season them with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit) and rub oil on the grill grates to prevent the squash from sticking to the grill grates.
- Cook each side for approximately 3-4 minutes per side until the squash is just fork tender. Watch them closely to make sure that they do not get over cooked.
- Remove from the grill, serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes:
- How to Grill Corn on the Cob
- Grilled Vegetables in Foil
- Grilled Vegetable Recipes
- Grilled Acorn Squash Recipe