Pollo Asado is a delicious marinade that is loaded with Mexican spices. The chicken comes out flavorful and the perfect chicken for Taco Tuesday.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Pollo Asado Recipe:
Make this easy and delicious chicken marinade that leaves your chicken tender and full of flavor. The chicken cooks tender and juicy with warm and zesty flavors. The combination of these spices makes the best quick and easy meal idea.
This mild flavor chicken is perfect to serve with your favorite Mexican dishes. The achiote paste or achiote powder gives the chicken the red color but it is still mild in flavor.
We love to cook this chicken on a charcoal grill or gas grill, but you can easily bake it. Serve with your favorite cilantro lime rice, refried beans and tortillas for a complete meal idea.
What is Pollo Asado?
Pollo Asado means roasted chicken or barbecue chicken. Chicken thighs or chicken breast are marinated in a blend of Mexican spices and red sauce.
This gives the chicken the red tint but it is still a mild flavor chicken. It is a dish that is commonly found in Mexico or Cuba.
For the Chicken:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (trimmed)
- Olive Oil
For the Marinade:
- Orange Juice
- Lime (juiced)
- Olive Oil
- Achiote Paste
- Minced Garlic
- Ground Coriander
- Ground Cumin
- Smoked Paprika
- Dried Oregano
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
How to Make Pollo Asado:
- Step 1 – Whisk Marinade Ingredients – In a small bowl whisk together all the pollo asado marinade ingredients.
- Step 2 – Place Chicken – Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade mixture on top.
- Step 3 – Marinade Chicken – Marinade the chicken thighs for 3-4 hours (or overnight). You can also marinate the chicken in a large bowl.
- Step 4 – Prepare Grill – Preheat a grill over medium high heat. Then rub the grill grates with olive oil so that the chicken does not stick to the grates.
- Step 5 – Grill Chicken – Then add the chicken onto the grill and reduce the temperature to medium. Grill the chicken for 5-8 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature for 165 degrees F. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of chicken.
- Step 6 – Rest Chicken – Remove the chicken from the grill. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy.
How Long to Marinate Chicken:
We recommend marinating chicken for at least 3 hours. You can even marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours. If you marinade the chicken for to long it could break down the fibers in the chicken.
You can easily place the chicken in the morning before work. Then it is ready to grill when you get home.
Pollo Asada Recipe Tips:
- Heat Grill – Before placing the chicken on the grill, make sure you heat to medium heat. Oil the grill grates to help to easily cook both sides of the chicken. Oil it with canola oil, vegetable oil or olive oil.
- Pound Chicken – To flatten out the chicken on the thickest part, we recommend pounding the chicken. This helps to cook the chicken evenly.
- Combine Marinade – Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl before marinating chicken.
- Grilling Chicken – Grilled chicken over direct heat and then on indirect heat. This helps the chicken to have the best flavor and texture.
- Meat Thermometer – Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked to a safe temperature. The internal temperature reaches 165 then chicken is done.
- Resting Chicken – Before serving the chicken, allow the chicken to rest for about 5 minutes. This helps to lock in the juices for the best flavor.
How to Serve Pollo Asado:
Pollo Asado is a great dish to be served in many different ways. You can use the chicken into pollo asado tacos or burritos. Make sure when serving the tacos, top with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
These side dishes are can also pair with one of these delicious side dishes.
- Salad – Slice the chicken and serve over salad for a delicious healthy meal. Squeeze fresh lime juice for added flavor.
- Cilantro Rice – Rice is such a tasty and inexpensive side dish. Jazz it up quickly and easily to make this tasty Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe. The entire family will enjoy it.
- Refried Beans – Make a side of crock pot refried beans for a delicious side dish. Making homemade refried beans instead of using canned beans from the grocery store taste much better.
- Cuts of Chicken – Feel free to use different cuts of meat for this chicken recipes. You can use chicken breast, bone-in chicken thighs, or chicken tenders.
- Seasoning – You can also use different types of seasoning to create a flavorful marinade. Add in Mexican Oregano, cloves garlic, or a mixture of citrus juices. Fresh orange juice is always a great option. Orange and lime juice is a great addition to this marinade.
- Serving – Serve this chicken as tacos in corn or flour tortillas. Add your favorite side dish for a complete meal idea.
- Oven – You can easily use this marinade to bake in the oven. Marinate chicken and bake for about 20 minutes in an oven at 400 degrees. Cooking time will vary based on the size of chicken.
How To Know When Chicken is Cooked:
An instant read thermometer is the best way to know when the chicken is ready to enjoy. Ensure that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Insert at the thickest part of the chicken thigh.
It is best to use a meat thermometer instead of slicing chicken. We like to allow the chicken to rest before slicing chicken. This makes the chicken juicy and tender when you allow the chicken to rest.
How to Bake Pollo Asado:
This recipe dish can be placed in the oven to bake. Place the marinated chicken in a baking dish. We recommend baking uncovered or you can cover with foil.
Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. We recommend half way through cooking time, flip the chicken and continue baking.
Can I Freeze Pollo Asado?
Yes, you can place pollo asado in the freezer. Feel free to freeze the chicken uncooked or cooked. This recipe is great to meal prep with and then cook the chicken when you are ready to serve.
Store the chicken in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. When you are ready to cook, allow the chicken to thaw overnight in the fridge.
Then cook or reheat for the best grilled chicken recipe.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store you leftovers in the refrigerator in an an airtight container. It will stay fresh for up to 4 days. This is a great recipe to store in individual containers with rice and a veggie for a quick lunch.
I also like to pack corn tortillas with cheese for a quick taco lunch.
More Easy Chicken Marinade Recipes:
Print Recipe for Pollo Asado:
For the Chicken:
- 3 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- In a small bowl whisk together all the marinade ingredients.
- Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade mixture on top.
- Marinade the chicken thighs for 3-4 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat and rub the grill grates with olive oil so that the chicken does not stick to the grates.
- Then add the chicken onto the grill and reduce the temperature to medium. Grill the chicken for 5-8 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature for 165 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe