Buttermilk Chicken Marinade is a delicious marinade that gives your chicken so much flavors. This marinade is made with simple ingredients.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Buttermilk Marinade for Chicken:
Buttermilk-marinated chicken is delicious meal idea. This marinade is made with simple ingredients and leaves your chicken tender, juicy and flavorful.
We make a lot of grilled chicken especially during the summertime. So I like to change up the flavors of the chicken. This recipe is one of our favorites and always a crowd favorite.
Feel free to use chicken thighs, chicken wings, or chicken tenders for a delicious meal idea. We have even used this marinade for our fried chicken recipe. Add your favorite sides for a complete meal.
You may also love this Cilantro Chicken Marinade Recipe.
What is Buttermilk Chicken Marinade?
Buttermilk Chicken Marinade is made with buttermilk and simple seasoning. Add in salt and black pepper to make your boneless chicken or bone-in chicken so flavorful.
This marinade is usually used for fry chicken, but works great with grilled chicken as well. It leaves the chicken with tons of juices and flavor.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Italian seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Cayenne Pepper
How to Make Buttermilk Chicken Marinade:
- Step 1 – Stir Marinade Ingredients – Stir together the buttermilk, onion powder, and garlic powder. Add in Italian seasoning, honey, olive oil and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Step 2 – Use Resealable Plastic Bag – Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour the seasoned buttermilk mixture on top. Seal the bag and place chicken in the fridge.
- Step 3 – Marinate Chicken – Allow the chicken to marinade for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Step 4 – Heat Grill – Preheat the grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush the grill grates with vegetable oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Step 5 – Add Chicken to Grill – Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill, skin side down.
- Step 6 – Cook Chicken – Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side. Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Step 7 – Slice and Enjoy – Move the chicken from the grill to a separate paper towel lined plate. Then let the chicken sit for 5 minutes. Slice and enjoy this delicious grilled chicken recipe.
How Long to Marinate Chicken in Buttermilk:
Marinating your chicken it recommended because it adds so much flavor to your chicken. After placing the chicken in a zip lock bag, marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour.
We recommend not to exceed 24 hours to marinate chicken.
Buttermilk Chicken Marinade Recipe Tips:
- Combining Marinade – Combine the marinade in a mixing bowl. Make sure it is complete combined before adding in chicken.
- Meat Thermometer – Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked to a safe temperature. The internal temperature reaches 165 then chicken is done.
- Heat Grill – Place placing the chicken on the grill, make sure you heat to medium heat. Oil the grill grates to help to easily cook both sides of the chicken.
- Marinade – Make sure to discard any of the marinade that you soaked the chicken in. You do not want to reuse this marinade. We recommend to shake the marinade from the chicken before placing on the grill.
- Substitute Chicken – You can easily use other chicken cutlets. We have used this marinade for chicken thighs or chicken tender for a delicious meal idea.
- Pound Chicken – To flatten out the chicken on the thickest part, we recommend pounding the chicken. This helps to cook the chicken evenly.
How to Grill Marinade Buttermilk Chicken:
After marinading chicken, remove the excess marinade and place the chicken on the hot grill. Cook on one side for about 5 minutes and the flip chicken. Then cook for an additional 5 minutes until fully cooked.
The cook times will vary based on the size of the chicken. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to the correct temperature.
Can you Bake Buttermilk Chicken Recipe?
We use marinades for multiple ways of cooking chicken. You can marinade your chicken and toss it in the crock pot or even do bake chicken.
- After marinating chicken, place the chicken in a baking dish or baking sheet.
- Place in a preheated oven at 400 degrees and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- I like to flip and cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Use meat thermometer to ensure chicken is cooked.
This chicken can be shredded and used in many different recipes. The buttermilk seasoning flavor is always a crowd favorite.
What to Serve with Buttermilk Chicken?
If you eat a lot of Grilled Chicken like we do in the summer months. Then you are going to love this recipe. When we grill out, I like to make easy sides to get dinner on the table with ease. Here are some of my favorite sides:
These are some of our favorite Grilled Side Dishes.
How to Store Chicken Marinated with Buttermilk Leftovers:
Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. We recommend waiting until chicken is at room temperature before storing.
This chicken is great leftover with your favorite side dishes.
Print Recipe for Buttermilk Chicken Marinade:
Buttermilk Chicken Marinade
- Stir together the buttermilk, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, honey, olive oil and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour the buttermilk mixture on top.
- Allow the chicken to marinade for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush the grill grates with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill, skin side down.
- Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Move the chicken from the grill to a separate plate, let the chicken sit for 5 minutes. Then it’s ready to slice and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe