Smoked Sweet Potatoes is the perfect side dish that is full of flavor and served perfectly with smoked meats. Simple ingredients makes these sweet potatoes taste amazing.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Smoked Sweet Potatoes Recipe:
We have started to use our smoker more for side dishes and these sweet potatoes are one of our favorites. The smoke flavor that the smoker gives the sweet potatoes makes this a delicious side dish.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with nutrients and one of our favorite side dish. Cooking the sweet potatoes in the smoker is a quick and easy option and perfect served with your favorite smoked meats.
All you need is simple ingredients to make this amazing side dish. If you don’t have a smoker, you can easily bake in the oven or in the microwave.
- Large Sweet Potatoes (cleaned and dried)
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
How to Make Sweet Potatoes in the Smoker:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan. Use your favorite type of wood chips. Any work well in this recipe.
- Step 2 – Prepare Sweet Potatoes – Use a fork to poke various holes into the potatoes. Place the oil in a shallow bowl. Then stir together the sea salt, pepper and garlic powder in a separate shallow bowl.
- Step 3 – Oil Potatoes – Then place the potatoes in the bowl with the oil. Turn it to ensure that all sides of the potatoes are covered in the oil.
- Step 4 – Season the Sweet Potatoes – Then move the oiled potatoes to the bowl with the seasoning mixture. Turn to coat the outside of the potato with the salt.
- Step 5 – Time to Cook Sweet Potatoes – Place the potatoes in the smoker directly on the grates. Smoke them for 2 – 2.5 hours until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove the potatoes from the smoker. Then they are ready to serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
How Long to Smoke a Sweet Potato:
After rubbing oil and seasoning the sweet potatoes, place them directly in the smoker. No need to cook them on baking pan. They will smoke directly on the grill grates.
The sweet potatoes will take about 2 hours to 2 hours and 30 minutes. You will know when they are finish cooking when they are fork tender. There is no need to use a meat thermometer for sweet potatoes.
Cooking time will vary depending on their size.
What is the Best Flavor of Wood Chips to Use:
Make sure to add chips to the pellet grill every 15 minutes. If your smoker does not have an automatic feature.
You can use any type of wood chips to cook the sweet potatoes. These are some of our suggestions. You can even combine wood chips types for delicious smoky flavor.
- Prepare Smoker – Before placing the sweet potatoes in the smoker, make sure to preheat it.
- Prepare Sweet Potatoes – make sure to poke holes through the potatoes. This keeps the potatoes from bursting while cooking.
- Smoking the Potatoes – The potatoes are best placed directly on the grill grates. If you do not have a smoker, you can cook the potatoes in the oven. If you cook in the oven, I would wrap with aluminum foil. You can also place on a charcoal grill wrapped in butcher paper.
- Potato Size – So that your potatoes cook evenly, I try to buy potatoes that are about the size size.
- Seasoning – We used simple seasoning to rub on the sweet potato. Feel free to add what you prefer. Add in thyme, rosemary, chives, or allspice.
- Toppings – Add your favorite toppings when serving the sweet potatoes. I like to make a bake potato bar so everyone can add their own toppings. Sour cream, butter, brown sugar, or other spices.
- Natural Sweetness – We love the natural sweetness that the sweet potatoes has. Simply topping with butter makes the best side dish. Drizzle with maple syrup or rubbing the outside with maple syrup gives it a caramelize flavor.
What to Serve with Smoked Sweet Potatoes:
When making sweet potatoes, we like to serve with our favorite smoked meats. We have even served with with grilled meats when we do not want to eat up the kitchen.
Try one of these Smoked Meat Ideas:
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Print Recipe for Smoked Sweet Potatoes:
Smoked Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan. Use your favorite type of wood chips. Any work well in this recipe.
- Use a fork to poke various holes into the potatoes. Place the oil in a shallow bowl and stir together the sea salt, pepper and garlic powder in a separate shallow bowl.
- Then place the potatoes in the bowl with the oil and turn it to ensure that all sides of the potatoes are covered in the oil. Then move the oiled potatoes to the bowl with the seasoning mixture and turn to coat the outside of the potato with the salt.
- Place the potatoes in the smoker directly on the grates. Smoke them for 2 – 2.5 hours until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the smoker and then they are ready to serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe