Grilled Chicken Street Tacos is one of my favorite recipes. The chicken is packed with flavor and these street tacos are easy to make.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Grilled Chicken Street Tacos Recipe:
Mexican street tacos are a crowd favorite. The corn tortilla are filled with marinated diced chicken and topped with avocado, onion and cilantro. To make a delicious street taco recipe.
Your family is going to love this quick and easy chicken taco recipe. This chicken thighs are cooked quickly on the grill which makes this recipe a prefect weeknight meal.
These copycat food truck tacos are filled with marinated chicken and seasoned to perfection. We love to serve these to a crowd with a side of chips, queso and salsa. You might also like Copycat Chipotle Chicken Recipe.
How to Make Chicken Street Taco Marinade:
You are going to love this Chicken Street Taco Marinade. The ingredients are simple and takes your boneless skinless chicken thighs to the next level. All the ingredients are combined in a bowl and then you just add the chicken.
We like to marinade our chicken at least 1 hour, but you can even do it overnight.
The lime based marinade is simple to prepare to create a delicious marinade. Feel free to change the ingredients, to what you prefer.
For the Chicken:
- Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Limes (juiced)
- Olive Oil
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
For the Serving:
- Mini Corn Tortillas (street taco size)
- Large Avocado (chopped)
- Small Red Onion (diced)
- Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- Limes (cut into wedges)
How to Make Grilled Chicken Street Tacos:
- Step 1 – Combine Marinade Ingredients – In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, and chili powder. Add in the paprika, salt, pepper and chopped cilantro.
- Step 2 – Marinate Chicken – Add in the chicken and marinade for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Step 3 – Heat Grill – Preheat a grill over medium high heat (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and rub the grill grates with oil.
- Step 4 – Grill Chicken – Remove the chicken from the marinade. Then grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side. Grill until the chicken reaches an internal temperature for 165 degrees F.
- Step 5 – Remove Chicken – Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes. Dice the chicken into small pieces.
- Step 6 – Brown Tortillas – Place the tortillas on the grill. Then grill for 1-2 minutes per side to warm them through and are browned.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – When serving, double up the tortillas and top each set with the diced chicken. Then add the avocado, red onion, chopped cilantro and fresh lime wedges. Enjoy!
Mexican Street Tacos Substitutions:
- Chicken – We like using chicken thighs in this recipe. But you can use chicken breast as well. Cooking time may vary, so make sure you check internal temperature after grilling both sides.
- Limes – The lime base marinade is my favorite, but you can use a lemon if that is all that you have. Orange juice is also a great addition to this marinade.
- Oil – We like using olive oil to combine the marinade ingredients. But vegetable oil or avocado oil is a great alternative.
- Garlic Seasoning – If you prefer, you can add in minced garlic to the marinade. Garlic powder will also work.
- Taco Seasoning – We love making homemade taco seasoning, so feel free to add in a tablespoon to the marinade. It is delicious flavor and this way there is no need to add in any additional seasoning, such as onion powder.
- Tortilla – We love the street taco size corn tortilla, but feel free to what what you prefer. I have even found flour street taco size tortillas.
There are many different taco toppings that can be added to these street tacos.
- Pico de Gallo
- Chili Peppers
- Slice Jalapenos
- Diced Tomatoes
- Mexican Cheese
Can I Bake Chicken instead?
Yes, if you prefer you can bake the chicken for these street tacos. I like to meal prep for the week. Baking chicken is a great way to add protein to many of our meals.
- Prepare chicken and marinate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Make sure to use an meat thermometer to ensure is cooked before dicing up.
How to know when Chicken is done:
To ensure your chicken is cooked thoroughly we recommend using a meat thermometer to check chickens internal temperature.
Grill chicken at least 3 minutes on each side. Then insert meat thermometer into chicken. Once it reach a temperature of 165 degrees then chicken is done.
- Marinating Chicken – For the best flavor chicken, make sure to marinate chicken for as least an hour.
- Grilling Chicken – We recommend prepare grill to a medium high heat and oiling the grill grates. This keeps the chicken from sticking and gives the chicken a charred texture.
- Tortilla – We love to serve these tortilla with a charred texture. Placing them on the grill for just a few minutes gives them the best flavor.
- Toppings – Add your toppings in small bowls so everyone can top the tacos just the way they prefer.
What to Serve with Street Tacos:
Street tacos can be served with many different sides. They are also great just served as they are. These are our favorite sides.
- Cilantro Lime Rice – The combination of the Cilantro and Lime adds so much flavor to white rice. We love adding it to our burrito bowls or as a side to our favorite taco recipe.
- Chips and Queso – This queso is so cream and delicious. It is one of our top recipes and perfect served with these street tacos.
- Refried Beans – Instead of buying store bough refried beans, make these delicious crock pot refried beans. They are delicious and you know exactly the ingredients you are adding.
- More Grilled Chicken Side Dishes
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. These street tacos make a delicious lunch the next day. I recommend storing everything separately and then build your tacos when you are ready to serve.
Print Recipe for Grilled Chicken Street Tacos:
Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
For the Chicken:
For the Serving:
- 24 Mini Corn Tortillas street taco size
- 1 Large Avocado chopped
- 1 Small Red Onion diced
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 3 Limes cut into wedges
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and chopped cilantro.
- Add in the chicken and marinade for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and rub the grill grates with oil.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature for 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes. Dice the chicken into small pieces.
- Place the tortillas on the grill and grill for 1-2 minutes per side to warm them through and are browned.
- When serving, double up the tortillas and top each set with the diced chicken, avocado, red onion, chopped cilantro and fresh lime wedges.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Taco Recipes:
- Blackstone Fish Tacos
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- Blackstone Street Tacos Recipe
- Birria Tacos Blackstone Recipe