Birria Tacos Blackstone Recipe is loaded with rich and delicious flavor. Corn tortillas are filled with a delicious beef stew meat and cooked to perfection.
Blackstone Birria Tacos Recipe:
Birria Tacos is a rich, delicious and popular taco recipe that is easy to make on your Blackstone Griddle. You may know these as Quesabirria Tacos as a unique, taco recipe.
Chuck roast and short ribs are cut into pieces and seared brown on the griddle. The meat is combined with simple ingredients and slow cooked to make a delicious filling for this taco recipe.
Impress your friends and family with this delicious taco recipe. Fill the delicious shredded meat in a corn tortilla or enjoy it as a stew. The Birria meat is so full of flavor and you will enjoy the twist on your taco recipe.
What are Birria Tacos?
You will be amazed the flavor of thee Birria Tacos. The crispy corn tortilla are drenched in the sauce and cooked on the Blackstone Griddle. Then filled with shredded meat and cheese to create a delicious taco.
The flavor is sweet and lightly spicy but so flavorful. This Birria Tacos is perfect for a crowd.
- Chuck Roast (cut into pieces)
- Short Ribs
- Olive Oil
- Onion quartered
- Crushed Tomatoes (15 oz can)
- Dried Guajillo Chiles (seeds removed and diced)
- Chili Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Bay Leaves
- Beef Broth
- Corn Tortillas
- Mexican Cheese Blend
- Limes cut in wedges
How to Make Birria Tacos on Blackstone Griddle:
- Step 1 – Heat Griddle – Preheat the Blackstone grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Step 2 – Heat Oil – Spread the oil out onto the Blackstone Grill. Place the diced roast and short ribs on the Blackstone Grill and brown each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Step 3 – Add to Slow Cooker – Remove the beef and short ribs and place them in a crock pot.
- Step 4 – Add in Ingredients – Add the white onions, garlic, crushed tomatoes, chiles, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and bay leaves to the crock pot.
- Step 5 – Slow Cook Meat – Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Step 6 – Reserve Grease – Skim the grease from the top of the broth from the crock pot and reserve for frying the tortillas.
- Step 7 – Shred the Meat – Remove the meat and bones. Shred the meat and return it to the crock pot.
- Step 8 – Build Tacos – Then build the Birria Tacos.
- Step 9 – Heat Grill and Dip Tortilla – Heat the Blackstone Grill over medium high heat (400 degrees Fahrenheit). Dip the tortilla in the reserved grease liquid and place on the grill.
- Step 10 – Add Meat and Cheese – Add meat and cheese to one side of the tortilla. Then fold over to form taco shape and flatten out the tacos.
- Step 11 – Cook Tortilla Crispy – Continue cooking until the tortilla is crispy and browned, flip and continue cooking on the other side until crisp.
- Step 12 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve with the fresh limes and enjoy.
How to Make Birria Tacos Indoors:
If you do not have a Blackstone Griddle, you still can enjoy this delicious recipe. Prepare the stew meat as the recipe indicates but slow cooking with the sauce ingredients.
Dip the tortilla in the reserved grease and then heat the tortilla in a cast iron skillet. Top the tortilla with cheese and the shredded beef to cook. Serve with squeeze lime and a bowl of stew for dipping.
What type of Meat is used for Birria Tacos?
You can easily make this recipe with beef shanks instead of the chuck roast if you prefer.
We like using chuck roast as it is budget friendly and can easily be shredded with a fork.
- Sear the Meat – We recommend searing the meat on the griddle for a crispy texture before adding to the slow cooker.
- Cook on Low – We think the roast cooks perfectly on low with the sauce ingredients. The roast and the ribs cook tender and easily shreds for the tacos.
- Filling Corn Tortilla – Place a thin layer of cheese and shredded beef sauce on the corn tortilla. These tacos are best filled a thin layer so they do not overfill.
- Large Pot – You can prepare the meat in a dutch oven on the stove top if you prefer.
- Frying the Tortilla – Drenching the tortilla in the leftover fat from the sauce gives the tortilla so much flavor.
What type of Tortilla’s is used for Birria Tacos?
We used corn tortilla’s in this recipe, but feel free to use any type of tortillas. You can easily use a street taco size or a flour tortilla. These Beef Birria Tacos are typically made with smaller size tortillas.
Birria Taco Variations:
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer. Some recipes call for a cinnamon stick and dried chiles for a deeper flavor.
- Birria Stew – This recipe can be prepared as taco or served as a Birria Stew. We even like to serve it as a side to dip our tacos in.
- Cheese – We love a Mexican Cheese blend, but feel free to use any type of melting cheese. We recommend shredding your own cheese instead of using pre shredded cheese.
What to Serve with Birria Tacos:
- Cilantro Lime Rice – The combination of the Cilantro and Lime adds so much flavor to white rice. We love adding it to our burrito bowls or as a side to our favorite taco recipe.
- Mexican Corn on the Cob – Mexican street corn is grilled corn topped with a delicious mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream and spices.
- Refried Beans – Make this easy crock pot recipe for an easy side dish with these Birria Tacos.
- Birria Stew – To enhance the flavor of the tacos, we recommend dipping the Birria Tacos in more of the stew meat filling.
How to Make Birria Taco Sauce:
The Birria Taco Sauce that the roast and ribs are cooked is smooth and creamy. It is made with Mexican Spices, Dried Guajillo Chiles, and beef broth. These ingredients are mixed together to create and delicious sauce that is stuffed in the corn tortillas.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. These tacos are great leftovers. When you are ready to serve again, reheat in a skillet or place back on the griddle.
Print Recipe for Birria Tacos Blackstone Recipe:
Birria Tacos Blackstone
- 2 pounds Chuck Roast cut into pieces
- 1 pound Short Ribs
- 1 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Onion quartered
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 15 oz can
- 6 Guajillo chiles seeds removed and diced
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Bay leaves
- 2 cups Beef broth
- 18 Corn Tortillas
- 3 cups Mexican Cheese Blend
- 2 limes cut in wedges
- Preheat the Blackstone grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Spread the oil out onto the Blackstone Grill. Place the diced roast and short ribs on the Blackstone Grill and brown each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the beef and short ribs and place them in a crock pot.
- Add the onions, crushed tomatoes, chiles, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and bay leaves to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Skim the grease from the top of the broth from the crock pot and reserve for frying the tortillas.
- Remove the meat and bones. Shred the meat and return it to the crock pot.
- Then build the tacos!
- Heat the Blackstone Grill over medium high heat (400 degrees Fahrenheit). Dip the tortilla in the reserved grease liquid and place on the grill.
- Add meat and cheese to one side of the tortilla. Then fold over to form taco shape and flatten out the tacos.
- Continue cooking until the tortilla is crispy and browned, flip and continue cooking on the other side until crisp.
- Serve with the fresh limes and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe