Smoked Italian Sausage is packed with flavor cooks perfectly in your smoker. The smoky flavor has us making it for every BBQ.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Italian Sausage Smoked Recipe:
We love using out smoker to cook many different things. We have smoked different types of sausage and they always come out so flavorful.
The way the smoker leaves the sausage juicy on the inside with a crispy texture is why we love this recipe. The smoker cooks the Italian Sausage all the way through in about 2-3 hours.
Serve the Italian Sausage on buns or serve with onions, potatoes and eggs. We have also sliced and served over rice with roasted vegetables. The next time you want to smoke something make Italian Sausage.
- Italian Sausage Links
- Hot Dog Buns
How to Cook Italian Sausage in the Smoker:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan.
- Step 2 – Place in Smoker – Place the Italian sausage links in the smoker. Directly on the grates making sure that they are approximately 1 inch apart.
- Step 3 – Smoke – Smoke the full of flavor Italian Sausage. Smoke for 1.5-2 hours until the brats reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Step 4 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove the sausage from the smoker. Serve on the buns topped with your favorite condiments and enjoy.
How to Know When Italian Sausage is Cooked:
You will know that your Italian Sausage is cooked as it will have a slight reddish color. The Italian Sausage will be slightly winkled. We recommend using an instant-read meat thermometer to check the temperature.
This ensures that the sausages are cooked to a safe temperature before removing it from the smoker.
How Long to Smoke Italian Sausage:
Smoke the Italian Sausage for about 2 hours. Cooking time will vary depending on your smoker and the size of your sausage.
Italian Smoked Sausage Recipe Tips:
- Wood Chips – Make sure to add chips to the smoker every 15 minutes. If your smoker does not have an automatic feature.
- Fully Cooked Sausage – You can easily serve these smoked sausage on a hot dog bun. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Add mustard, ketchup, or BBQ sauce. We even like serving with bell peppers and onions.
- Cooking Sausage – For the best results make sure to use a instant read thermometer to make sure sausage is cooked.
- Rest Sausage – For best results and to lock in the flavor, allow the sausage to rest before serving.
- Various types of Sausages – You can use this recipe to make various sausage. We have made beef sausage, pork sausages, and chicken sausages.
- Using Cooked Sausage – This Italian Sausage would be delicious sliced and placed in a breakfast casserole. You can even use as a pizza topping.
- Seasoning – Feel free to add in a seasoning to the Italian Sausage. You can season with black pepper, kosher salt, and garlic salt. There are many different spices you can use.
- Marinate Sausage – Allow you brats to marinate in a beer bath for added flavor.
What is the Best Wood Chips to Use?
There are many different kind of wood chips you can use to smoke sausages. These are some of our favorite options.
- Hickory Wood
- Cherry Wood
- Maple Wood
- Oak Wood
We have even combined woods together to enhance the flavors.
Why are My Sausage Still Pink?
If your Italian Sausages are still pink, that is okay. The smoker does this as it fills the sausages. Make sure to use the meat thermometer to ensure your sausage is cooked.
How to Store and Reheat Italian Sausage:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
When you are ready to reheat, we recommend reheating in the oven. This helps to keep the sausages juicy and flavorful.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sausages on a baking sheet or baking dish.
- We recommend spraying with a little water to help with moisture.
- Cover baking dish with foil and place in the oven.
- Reheat the sausages for about 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice with roasted vegetables.
Print Recipe for Smoked Italian Sausage:
Smoked Italian Sausage
- 6 Italian Sausage Links
- 6 Hot Dog Buns
- Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan.
- Place the Italian sausage links in the smoker directly on the grates making sure that they are approximately 1 inch apart.
- Smoke them for 1.5-2 hours until the brats reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the sausage from the smoker. Serve on the buns topped with your favorite condiments and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe