Grilled Bratwurst is a great grilling option for lunch or dinner. It is hearty, flavorful and simple to make. Make for your next BBQ or weeknight meal.
Grilled Bratwurst is one of our favorite meats to grill. We love that there is no preparation needed. All you need to do is preheat oven and grill. There is no additional ingredients that are needed and they do not require marinating.
Brats Recipe is a quick dinner idea. Within about 15 minutes your brats will be grilled to perfection. They are hearty and delicious and a family favorite.
We like to top our grilled bratwurst with Sauerkraut and serve in a Sauerkrat Bun. Add a side of pasta salad or potato salad and your meal is complete.
What is Bratwurst?
Bratwurst is German sausage made of pork, veal or beef but Bratwurst is most commonly made of Pork. Bratwurst is usually served with potato salad or sauerkraut and topped on a white bun.
Types of Bratwurst:
There are different types of Bratwurst that you can get at your local grocery stores.
- Pre-Cooked Bratwurst – These can easily be found in the cold section at your grocery store. They are usually by the hot dog section and are labeled stadium brats. This type of brat is commonly found in Germany. It is made of lighter pork.
- Un-Cooked Bratwurst – Un-Cooked Brats can be found at the meat counter at your local grocery store or meat market. These are usually a little thicker than pre-cooked brats and usually have a casing on them. Most meat markets make their own brats and offer different flavors.
- Bratwurst Buns
- Sauerkraut (optional)
How to Grill Bratwursts:
- Prepare Gas Grill – Preheat your grill over medium high heat (approximately 350 degrees F). You can also use a charcoal grill.
- Begin Grilling Brats – Place the bratwursts on the grill over indirect heat on the grill and cook them for 15-16 (turning occasionally) until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Move Brats to indirect heat – Then move the brats onto direct heat on side of the grill and grill for 1-2 minutes to cook the casing on the bratwurst. Then brown the outside of the bratwursts.
- Heat Buns – Warm them buns by either microwaving them for 30-60 seconds. Or you can place them on the grill for a few seconds to heat them through.
- Serve and Enjoy – Then serve the bratwursts in the buns topped with the sauerkraut and enjoy.
How Long to Grill Bratwurst:
Grilling brats does not take long to do. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to completely cook the bratwurst. For the first 15 minutes cook brats on the indirect heat then move to direct heat for about 2 minutes.
You can use an meat thermometer to make sure the bratwurst reaches an internal temperature of 150-155 degrees.
Placing the bratwurst on the indirect heat for the last few minutes allows for the casing to get nice and crispy. Every few minutes turn brats to ensure all sides are cooked.
Tips for Making Grilled Bratwurst:
For the Best Grilled Bratwurst follow these easy tips. Even though brats are easy to prepare and grill, these tips will help for the brats to come off the grill great.
- Slowly Grill Brats – We recommend starting the bratwurst on a low grill temperature. This allows for the brats to cook nice in slow to achieve that crispy texture and juicy on the inside.
- Meat Temperature – Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure your bratwurst is cooked. But it needs to be inserted in the right place so you do not release any of the juice. Insert the thermometer at the center of the brats through the end of the casing.
- Crowd Pleaser – When we are grilling for a get-together, we like to grill brats along side burgers and hot dogs. They are always a crowd pleaser. You can also simmer in beer for an amazing flavor brats.
What to Serve with Grilled Brats:
When preparing grilled brats it is traditionally you will find that bratwurst are served hoagie roll. The hoagie is prepared crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. It is then topped with mustard only. You can also top with mustard and sauerkraut which is a family favorite.
How to Store Cooked Brats:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze Cooked Brats:
To freeze cooked brats place in an air tight container or freezer bag and freeze. If stored properly your cooked brats will last about 3 months.
How to Reheat:
There are several ways to reheat your cooked bratwurst. Reheating brats will be warm to the touch when ready to serve.
- Microwave – Place on a microwave safe plate and reheat for about 50 seconds.
- Oven – Place brats on a baking sheet and reheat for about 4 minutes in the oven.
- Grill – You can also place back on the grill for about 6 minutes.
Print Recipe here for Grilled Bratwurst:
- 6 Bratwursts
- 6 Bratwurst Buns
- Sauerkraut optional
- Preheat your grill over medium high heat (approximately 350 degrees F).
- Place the bratwursts on the grill over indirect heat on the grill and cook them for 15-16 (turning occasionally) until the brats reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Then move the brats onto direct heat and grill for 1-2 minutes to cook the casing on the bratwurst and to brown the outside of the bratwursts.
- Warm them buns by either microwaving them for 30-60 seconds or placing them on the grill for a few seconds to heat them through.
- Then serve the bratwursts in the buns topped with the sauerkraut and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe