Simple and easy season rub makes these Grilled Chicken Drumsticks full of flavor. Chicken drumsticks are easy to grill and the perfect addition to your next BBQ.
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks Recipe:
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks are one of our favorite meats to grill. They are delicious, quick to make, and a total crowd pleaser. It doesn’t take a lot of ingredients for the seasoning. So it is the perfect meal to serve to stick with your budget.
We love that you can change this recipe in so many different variation. You can add BBQ sauce, different seasoning, or make them have a kick with some cayenne pepper.
Add these easy Grilled Chicken Drumsticks to your next BBQ menu. They are easy to make and everyone loves the convenience of eating them.
How do you keep Chicken Drumsticks from drying out?
We recommend setting your chicken drumsticks out to reach room temperature before grilling. Make sure to oil your grill grates to prevent the chicken drumsticks from sticking.
When grilling your chicken drumsticks, watch them closely to prevent them from sticking to the grill grates and from burning.
- Chicken Drumsticks
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
How to Grill Chicken Drumsticks:
- Preheat the Gas Grill – Preheat your grill over medium high heat to approximately 400 degrees F.
- Oil the Grill Grates – Spray the grill grates with a non-stick cooking spray or rub with oil. This prevents the chicken from sticking to the grates.
- Prepare the seasoning – Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl.
- Season Drumsticks – Place the drumsticks in a large bowl, pour the oil on top and sprinkle the seasonings over the drumsticks.
- Cover the Drumsticks with Seasoning – Toss to make sure that the drumsticks are coated in the olive and the seasoning mixture.
- Grill Chicken Drumsticks – Place the drumsticks on direct heat and grill for 25-30 minutes. Make sure to flip every 10-15 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove Chicken from Grill – Then remove the drumsticks from the grill and allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy – Chicken is ready to serve and enjoy.
Do I need to Marinade the Chicken Legs before grilling?
You do not need to marinate the chicken prior to grilling. The dry rub that is added to the chicken legs, already gives it so much flavor.
But this is a great recipe to make ahead of time and place in the refrigerator. You can prepare up to 24 hours in advance.
How do I know when Chicken is done?
Chicken drumsticks is a great cut of chicken and are move flavorful than chicken breast. The skin is cooked until it reaches a golden, crispy outside texture. But the inside may not be cooked.
That is why we recommend using a meat thermometer. It is the safest way to ensure the chicken is cooked internally. Insert the meat thermometer into the meat part of the chicken. Make sure not to touch the bone.
The ideal temperature for chicken drumsticks it to reach a temperature of 165 degrees.
Can I also bake Chicken Drumsticks?
Yes, you can also make these in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place drumsticks on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes to 40 minutes.
Make sure to flip every 10-15 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature for 165 degrees F.
How long to Grill Chicken Drumsticks:
Cooking chicken drumsticks takes about 40 minutes to grill. We recommend placing the chicken drumsticks directly on high heat to begin cooking. If you are adding additional sauces like BBQ sauce, you can place them on indirect heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
When cooking chicken drumsticks, it takes time and patience. Make sure you have a good meat thermometer to ensure your chicken is done.
Grilling Chicken Drumsticks Tips:
- Season your drumsticks – Seasoning your drumsticks with a dry rub helps with the crispy skin.
- Use Meat Thermometer – When checking for doneness for you chicken drumsticks, do not guess. Meat thermometer ensures your cooking your chicken drumsticks reached 165 degrees.
- Add Spice – If you want to add spice, add in a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Grilling Chicken – When grilling the drumsticks, gently flip the drumsticks. Use the tongs to flip them so that the chicken skin doesn’t stick to the grates.
- Lid Closed – Keep the grill lid closed to ensure that the chicken drumsticks cook evenly.
What to Serve with Chicken Drumsticks?
There are many different sides that go great with Chicken Drumsticks. There are some of our favorites:
- Quick and Easy Grilled Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- How to Grill Corn on The Cob
- More Grilled Chicken Side Dishes
When we are grilling out, I love to be able to cook the sides on the grill too. It makes for an easy clean up and saves time.
Grilled Chicken Legs Recipe Variation Ideas:
- Add a Sauce – Brush BBQ Sauce on the chicken legs after they are done cooking.
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs – If you don’t want to grill out, cook the Chicken Legs in the Air Fryer.
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks – For an fast and easy meal idea, cook Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks.
- Smoked Paprika – For added flavor, add a teaspoon of smoked paprika to your seasoning rub.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container or a zip top bag for up to 5 days.
Why this Drumstick Recipe works:
- Fast and Easy Dinner Idea – If I am short on time this is an easy dinner idea. They are full of flavor and everyone loves them.
- Budget Friendly – Chicken Drumsticks are inexpensive and can easily be found at our local grocery store.
- Crispy Skin – We love that the seasoning dry rub is easy seasoning and can easily be changed.
Print recipe here for Grilled Chicken Drumsticks:
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 lb Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Preheat your grill over medium high heat to approximately 400 degrees F. Spray the grill grates with a non-stick cooking spray or rub with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking to the grates.
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl.
- Place the drumsticks in a large bowl, pour the oil on top and sprinkle the seasonings over the drumsticks. Toss to make sure that the drumsticks are thoroughly coated in the olive and the seasoning mixture.
- Place the drumsticks on direct heat and grill for 25-30 minutes flipping every 10-15 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Then remove the drumsticks from the grill and allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes and then the chicken is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe