Tender and juicy Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken is an amazing chicken recipe. Simple ingredients gives this chicken so much flavor.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Recipe:
BBQ Chicken Hawaiian Recipe is sweet and tangy and perfectly grilled to perfection. The chicken is then topped with with a pineapple ring for that delicious touch of Hawaiian.
Grilled Chicken is one of my favorite meats to grill. But marinating the chicken in barbecue sauce and grilling just really adds so much flavor. The juices form the pineapple juice keeps the chicken extra juicy.
If you are looking for a delicious chicken recipe to feed a crowd or an easy weeknight meal, this is the one to make. Serve the chicken on a bed of white and a side of roasted vegetables for a complete, healthy meal.
What is Hawaiian BBQ Chicken?
This Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Recipe gives you a touch of paradise with simple ingredients. Mixing the pineapple juice with the BBQ sauce gives that taste of Hawaiian in every bite.
The mix of sweet and savory gives this chicken recipe so much flavor. All you need is a few ingredients and you can have your own taste of paradise right in your own backyard.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Barbecue Sauce
- Pineapple Slices in Pineapple Juice (15 oz can)
- Soy Sauce
- Minced Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Green Onions, sliced (for serving)
How to Make Hawaiian BBQ Chicken :
- Step 1 Combine Marinade Ingredients – In a bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, juice from the can of pineapple slices, soy sauce, minced garlic and olive oil.
- Step 2 Add Chicken to Marinade – Place the chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag or a bowl. Pour half of the marinade over the chicken. Reserve the other half of the marinade and refrigerate.
- Step 3 Marinate Chicken – Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Step 4 Prepare Grill to Medium Heat- Then preheat the grill to 350 degrees F. Gently brush the grates of the grill with the oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Step 5 Grill Chicken – Place the chicken on the grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes per size until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Grill the pineapple slices next to the chicken for 2-3 minutes per side until the pineapple is charred slightly.
- Step 6 Remove Chicken from Grill – Then remove the chicken from the grill. Brush the chicken with the reserved sauce. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- Step 7 Serve and Enjoy – Serve the chicken with the pineapple slices topped with the green onions and enjoy!
How Long to Grill BBQ Chicken:
The cook times will vary based on the size of the chicken. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to the correct temperature.
When preparing your chicken for grilling, you want to make sure that each chicken breast about the same size. You may have need to filet you chicken or pound it to thin it out.
Grilling chicken doesn’t take long to cook. My husband usually stays close by the grill so he can monitor it. Flipping the chicken after cooking about 5 minutes on each side makes for the juiciest chicken.
- Homemade BBQ Sauce – You can make this recipe with homemade BBQ sauce or store bought BBQ Sauce. There are many different flavors to choose from. Use what you have or what you prefer.
- Pineapple – We used pineapple slices, but you can also serve with pineapple chunks or tidebits.
- Change the Chicken – Feel free to make this recipe using chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- Shred the Chicken – This chicken can be shredded after it is cooked and used in many different ways. Place shredded chicken on salad, make a quesadilla, or make a wrap.
- Ginger – The marinade would be delicious with some fresh ginger added. Ginger has many health benefits and would be delicious in this recipe.
What to Serve with Hawaiian BBQ Chicken:
- White Rice – We love to serve this chicken with white rice. You can also serve with brown rice or cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil – This potatoes in foil grill recipe is one my favorite sides to make. This dish is budget friendly and only require a few ingredients. You can easily change the seasoning or add other ingredients to add more flavor.
- Grilled Vegetables in Foil – If you are looking for an easy side dish that compliments any meal, make Grilled Vegetables in Foil. They are healthy and versatile so you can use what you already have.
- More Grilled Chicken Side Dishes
Some helpful Tips:
- Hot Grill – Make sure your grill is hot or medium heat. Cooking chicken on a hot grill helps to keep them juicy.
- Same Size Chicken – When preparing your chicken, make sure that they are all even thickness. This makes sure they are evenly cooked.
- Allow Chicken to rest – After chicken is done cooking, make sure you allow chicken to rest. This locks in the juices and the flavoring.
How to Cook Hawaiian BBQ Chicken in the Oven:
If you prefer, you can bake Hawaiian BBQ Chicken in the oven. If it is cold outside or I prefer to cook indoors, this is an easy recipe to make in your oven.
- Marinate chicken as the recipe indicates in the BBQ sauce and simple seasoning.
- Place in a baking dish and put in the over at 375 degrees.
- Bake the chicken for about 20 minutes.
- You can then top the chicken with the pineapple slices and bake for additional 10 minutes.
- Use your meat thermometer to chicken the chicken for doneness before serving.
- Allow chicken to rest and serve with your favorite sides.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
We like to store in individual containers for an easy lunch or dinner the next day. We add the side to the dish and shredded chicken thighs. It heats perfectly in the microwave for an amazing lunch.
Why we love this Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Recipe:
- Tender and Juicy Chicken – We love that this BBQ chicken and seasoning makes the chicken so tender, juicy and full of flavor.
- Easy to Make – Cooking the chicken breast on the grill make an easy weeknight meal. It is also a crowd pleaser. Rather I am grilling during the week or on the weekend, everyone loves these BBQ Hawaiian Chicken Breast.
- Budget Friendly – The seasoning and BBQ sauce are simple and more than likely you already have them.
Print Recipe here for Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken:
Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
- In a bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, juice from the can of pineapple slices, soy sauce, minced garlic and olive oil.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag or a bowl. Pour half of the marinade over the chicken. Reserve the other half of the marinade and refrigerate.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Then preheat the grill to 350 degrees F. Gently brush the grates of the grill with the oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Place the chicken on the grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Grill the pineapple slices next to the chicken for 2-3 minutes per side until the pineapple is charred slightly.
- Then remove the chicken from the grill. Brush the chicken with the reserved marinade. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the pineapple slices topped with the green onions and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Grilled Chicken Recipes:
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- The Best BBQ Chicken Breast Recipe
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs Recipe