Grilled Potatoes in Foil is the perfect side dish made easily on the grill or in the oven. 5 Ingredients makes this recipe so easy to make.
Grilled Potatoes in Foil Recipe:
This potatoes in foil grill recipe is one my favorite sides to make. This dish is budget friendly and only require a few ingredients. You can easily change the seasoning or add other ingredients to add more flavor.
Toss this on the grill or in your oven for delicious potatoes in hardly any time at all. I love foil pack recipes because there isn’t any cleanup. Simple combine the potatoes, seasoning, and onion in the foil and grill to perfection.
This recipe for grilled potatoes in foil is so easy and the potatoes taste absolutely amazing. They are cooked tender and pairs perfectly with any main dish. My family loves them which makes this a side that we make often.
You might also like Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes. If you prefer sweet potatoes, you will love Grilled Sweet Potatoes Recipe.
Do you need to boil potatoes before grilling?
There is no need to boil the potatoes before grilling. Simply prepare the potatoes by peeling and slicing them in about the size and thickness. Add them to the foil with your favorite seasoning and grill.
After about 30 minutes, your potatoes should be cooked tender and ready to serve.
- Russet Potatoes
How to Make Foil Pack Potatoes on Grill:
- Step 1 – Peel the potatoes and slice into 1/4” thick slices.
- Step 2 – Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Step 3 – Place foil on the counter and spray with a non-stick cooking spray. I used 1 piece of foil per each potato.
- Step 4 – Place the potatoes and onion slices on the foil. Season each packet with approximately ¼ tsp of the Salt and Pepper and top with 1 Tablespoon of the butter. Adding the butter and seasoning gives the potatoes the perfect amount of flavor.
- Step 5 – Fold each foil packet close and seal tightly.
- Step 6 – Grill over medium-high heat for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are soft. I like to check at about 15 minutes to about 20 minutes so they do not over cook.
- Step 7 – Remove the heat, be careful when opening the foil packet and enjoy.
Grilled Foil Pack Potatoes Tips:
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil – We used heavy duty foil to make sure that it doesn’t break when cooking.
- Carefully Open Foil Packs – After you have finished baking potatoes, be careful open the foil packs. Hot steam will come out when you open the foil packs. Use a fork to pierce the packs before opening, if you prefer.
- Cut Potatoes evenly – Make sure to cut the potatoes about the same size so they cook evenly. Thickness of the potatoes will depend on how long it takes to cook them.
- Serve Immediately – For best results we recommend serving these potatoes immediately.
- Olive Oil – You can use olive oil instead of butter if you prefer. I usually spray the foil with olive oil before adding the potatoes.
What temp Should I Grill Potatoes in Foil?
We recommend grilling potatoes in foil at medium high heat. I place the foil packs directly on the heat for best results.
How Long to Grill Potatoes in Foil:
The potatoes will take about 30 to 40 minutes to grill on medium high heat. Make sure to cut potatoes about the same size and width so they cook in about the same length of time.
Why type of Potatoes do I use?
In this recipe we used Russet Potatoes but you can use red potatoes or yellow gold potatoes.
They all taste delicious but the texture may vary based on what type of potato you use.
Foil Pack Potato Additions:
Feel free to add in vegetables to this potato foil pack. We recommend red bell peppers or green peppers. Slice carrots or mushrooms are always a good addition when making these potatoes.
Another additions that would be delicious is to add in some protein. We recommend smoked sausage, diced ham, chopped bacon, or Italian Sausage. It adds flavor and could be a complete meal.
We used simple seasoning when we made this foil pack potatoes dish. There are many different seasoning you can use. You can add in some spice by add in red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or chili powder.
Other suggestions would be Garlic Powder, Ranch Seasoning, Italian Seasoning or fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme.
After you have pulled the potatoes off the grill, add your favorite topping. These are some of our suggestions.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Slice Jalapenos
- Green Onions
- Bacon Bits
How to Cook Foil Pack Potatoes in the Oven:
You can also bake the foil packet at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
This is the perfect option if your grill is going to be full of meats or it is to cold to cook outside. These foil pack potatoes will still turn out delicious.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This potatoes are even delicious the next day. Store in individual containers and they reheat easily in the microwave.
Easy Grilled Side Dish:
When we grill out, I love to be able to make my side dishes on the grill. Potatoes in foil are so easy to cook and require very little clean up. You will love how simple this is.
The potatoes and onion have the best flavor. If you love baked potatoes, try this simple recipe for potato foil packets. You can easily add in vegetables, use different seasoning or add in some protein.
Grilled potatoes are the best. They go with just about anything. This is one of my favorite easy side dish recipes.
Once you try this, you will see why I love it so much. It is so quick and easy and clean up is a breeze. Everyone loves potatoes and you can’t go wrong with this recipe.
Print Recipe here for Foil Pack Potatoes:
Foil Pack Potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and slice into 1/4” thick slices.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Place foil on the counter and spray with a non-stick cooking spray. I used 1 piece of foil per each potato.
- Place the potatoes and onion slices on the foil. Season each packet with approximately ¼ tsp of the Salt and Pepper and top with 1 Tablespoon of the butter.
- Fold each foil packet close and seal tightly .Grill over medium-high heat for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Remove the heat, be careful when opening the foil packet and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Potato Recipe:
- How to Bake Potatoes on the Grill
- Blackstone Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Steak and Potatoes Foil Pack Recipe
More Easy Foil Pack Recipe:
- Hobo Dinner Foil Pack Recipe
- Foil Pack Grilled Mushrooms Recipe
- Grilled Zucchini in Foil
- Crack Chicken Foil Packets Recipe
- Teriyaki Chicken in Foil Recipe