If you are needing a simple and healthy side dish for the grill, make Grilled Sweet Potatoes. Slice, season and grill for an easy sweet potato side dish.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Recipe:
Summertime grilling is our favorite time of the year. We are always grilling steaks, chicken and pork chops. But we also like to grill our side dishes. They are easy to prepare and easy to clean up.
Sweet Potatoes are one of our favorite side dishes. This healthy vegetable cooks perfectly on the grill without a lot of work. We have even make sweet potatoes on our Blackstone, Blackstone Candied Sweet Potatoes and Blackstone Sweet Potato Fries.
There is no need to peel or boil the potatoes before grilling. Simply slice the potatoes evenly, season and place on the grill. We love the smoky flavor and how tender and sweet they turn out.
- Sweet Potatoes, sliced into 1/4-½ inch thick slices
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
How to Grill Sweet Potatoes:
- Step 1 – Prepare Grill – Preheat a gas grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Rub the grill grates with oil to keep the potatoes from sticking to the grates.
- Step 2 – Add sweet potatoes to bowl – Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Step 3 – Season Sweet Potatoes – Drizzle the oil on top and season them with the garlic salt and pepper. Toss to thoroughly coat the potatoes with the oil and seasonings.
- Step 4 – Cook Sweet Potatoes – Reduce the temperature to medium. Place the sliced potatoes directly on the grill. Cook for approximately 10 minutes per side until the potatoes are tender.
- Step 5 – Remove the grill. Serve warm and enjoy!
How long to Grill Sweet Potatoes:
Grilling sweet potatoes does not take long. Once you have cut and seasoned them, place on the preheated grill. Grill the sliced sweet potatoes on both sides for about 10 minutes.
Make sure to slice them about the same size so that they cook evenly and about the same time. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your sweet potatoes.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Seasoning Ideas:
We kept things simple in this recipe but just mixing pepper and garlic salt together but you can use what you have on hand. Try some of these seasoning ideas:
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Italian Seasoning
- Seasoned Salt
Tips for Sweet Potatoes on the Grill:
- Slicing Potatoes – When I am slicing up the sweet potatoes to cook, we try to make them about the same size. This way they cook evenly and about the same time.
- Fork Tender Potatoes – Make sure you potatoes are fork tender before removing them from the griddle. I like them to have the perfect grill marks and smoky flavor.
- Oil Grill – When preparing to grill the potatoes, make sure to oil the grates. This prevents the sweet potatoes from sticking. You can use olive oil or avocado oil.
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Foil – If you prefer to dice you sweet potatoes and grill, simply season and place in foil. You still get that charred, smoky flavor even when wrapped in foil.
- Grill Pan – We place the sweet potatoes directly on the grill, but you can also use a grill pan to cook them.
- Baked Sweet Potatoes – Use this simple recipe and bake your sweet potatoes.
What to Serve with Grilled Sweet Potatoes:
- Grilled Boneless Pork Chops – Boneless Pork Chops Grill recipe is one of our favorite grilling recipe. The pork chops are seasoned and grilled to perfection. The perfect meat for grilled sweet potatoes.
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings – These chicken wings are seasoned perfectly and then grilled. They cook fast on the grill and are delicious with a side of sweet potatoes.
- Grilled Ham Recipe – If you have never tried grilling ham, this is the recipe to use. Seasoned perfectly and grilled for a smoky and delicious flavor.
Do you have to Soak or Boil Sweet Potatoes before grilling?
There is no need to soak or boil sweet potatoes before grilling. We like to prepare them by washing them to remove any dirt and debris. Then I like to towel dry them and they are ready to be sliced.
You can slice, seasoned and place directly on the grill. Easy to prepare and simple to cook side dish.
Do you have to Peel Sweet Potatoes before Grilling?
I prefer not to peel the sweet potatoes but you can if you prefer. We like to leave them skins on the sweet potato for the extra health benefits.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Why we Love this Easy Side Dish:
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes get soft on the inside and crispy and soft on the outside. This adds so much flavor and texture to the sweet potatoes.
- The easiest side you will make on the Gas Grill. Sweet Potatoes go with many different recipes. You can cook them along side your steak. Which makes for an easy cleanup.
- No need to pre-cook the potatoes. Simply cut, season and place on the grill.
Print Recipe here for Grilled Sweet Potatoes:
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat a gas grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Rub the grill grates with oil to keep the potatoes from sticking to the grates.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the oil on top and season them with the garlic salt and pepper. Toss to thoroughly coat the potatoes with the oil and seasonings.
- Reduce the grill temperature to medium. Place the sliced potatoes directly on the grill. Cook for approximately 10 minutes per side until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the grill. Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Grilled Side Dish Recipes:
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil Recipe
- Parmesan Grilled Zucchini Recipe
- Grilled Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- How to Grill Bake Potatoes
- Grilled Carrots in Foil Recipe
- Foil Pack Sweet Potatoes