Hobo Dinner Foil Pack is a simple dinner idea. It is loaded with vegetables and seasoning and topped on a ground beef patty. Grill or bake this foil pack for amazing flavor.
Best Hobo Dinner Recipe:
Hobo Dinner is the best meal idea. It is easy to clean up and you can load the foil packs with different vegetables. Everything you need for an easy and flavorful meal made on the grill or in the oven.
These Hobo Dinners are also great for camping. This hearty meal is always a family family because of all the flavors. The hamburger patties are topped with shredded cheese make them so juicy and flavorful.
Add your favorite vegetables and seasoning to make this Hobo Dinner so delicious. Make these Hobo Dinners ahead of time to feed your hungry family or a crowd. Easy cleanup makes the best weeknight dinner.
What is a Hobo Dinner?
Hobo dinners date back to the depression era when the homeless roamed the country and cooked dinner over an open fire. They contain a meat and loaded with vegetables and seasoned and then wrapped in foil.
This meal doesn’t require any fancy dishes or pans. You can make it with just the foil and cooked while camping, on a gas grill at home and toss it in the oven.
- Lean Ground Beef
- Garlic Salt – You can also use garlic powder.
- Onion sliced
- Small Potatoes (peeled and sliced into 1/4″ thick slices)
- Carrots, peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
How to Make Hobo Dinner:
- Step 1 – Combine the ground beef with the garlic salt and form the beef into four patties and set aside.
- Step 2 – Coat 4 large pieces of heavy duty foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 3 – Place one potato (peeled and sliced) in the middle of each piece of foil.
- Step 4 – Place about ¼ of the diced carrots and sliced onions on top of the potatoes.
- Step 5 – Place a beef pattie on top of the potatoes, carrots and onions on each piece of foil.
- Step 6 – Top each foil packet with a tablespoon of butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 7 – Fold up the sides of the foil. Then fold up the other sides to make a foil pack. The foil packets are ready to cook.
- Step 8 – Place on the grill on medium high heat (or a campfire) for approximately 30 minutes-40 minutes or until the hamburger patties are cooked through (internal temperature of 160 degrees F.) Cooking time will vary.
- Step 9 – Open the foil packets carefully, top each of the patties with approximately ¼ cup of the shredded cheese immediately.
- Step 10 – Once melted, the hobo dinners are ready to serve and enjoy!
Tips for Hobo Dinners:
- Ingredients are Optional – We like to make these because they are kid friendly. We set out the vegetables that we have and seasoning and let kids build their own Hobo Dinner.
- Aluminum Foil – We recommend using heavy duty aluminum foil when making Hobo Dinners. The grill is so hot that you don’t want your foil to burn through or tear.
- Cutting Vegetables – When cutting potatoes and carrots, make sure they are cut about the same size. This ensure that they all cook tender about the same time.
- Opening Foil Packs – Make sure when you open the foil packs that you do it carefully. These packets are extremely hot and steam will come out of it.
- Ground Beef – We recommend using lean ground beef as it taste the best and it is less greasy.
- Cooking Hobo Dinner – These Hobo Dinners can be cooked while camping, on your grill at home or in the oven.
- Change Seasoning – We used simple seasoning when making this recipe. Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer.
- Potatoes – Use any type of potatoes that you prefer. Russet potatoes, red potatoes or yellow gold potatoes are great recommendations. You can slice or dice the potatoes just as long as they are about the same size.
- Carrots – You can use baby carrots or regular carrots. For the regular carrots we peeled and diced them in about the same size.
- Butter – We love to top the ingredients with a slice of butter. It adds flavor and keeps the ingredients juicy. This helps to prevent sticking while the ingredients cook. You can also drizzle with olive oil.
- Change the Meat – If you prefer you can use ground turkey. You can also combine ground turkey and ground beef and make patties.
- Green Beans – Green beans would make a great addition to this Hobo Dinner.
How to Make Hobo Dinner in the Oven:
You can make this delicious easy hobo dinner foil packet meal in the oven. I would assemble the hobo dinners like normal but instead of placing them on the grill I would place on a sheet pan and bake.
- Bake these hobo dinners in the oven at 375 degrees F for 45-50 minutes. The Hobo Dinners are done when the beef reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Use a meat thermometer to check to make sure hamburger is done.
- Open foil packet carefully and top with cheese. Place back in the oven for a few minutes to allow cheese to melt.
Can these Hobo Dinners be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare these ahead of time and place in the refrigerator. Prepared as the recipe card indicates and store in the refrigerator until ready to grill or bake. We recommend making within 24 hours of making them.
Making ahead of time makes for an easy recipe.
How to Store Leftovers:
Place leftovers in the refrigerator. You can leave them in the foil and wrap and place in the fridge. You can also place in a microwave safe air tight container to easily take for lunch the next day.
Print Recipe here for Hobo Dinner:
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 4 small potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/4″ thick slices
- 3 Carrots peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- Combine the ground beef with the garlic salat and form the beef into four patties and set aside.
- Coat 4 large pieces of heavy duty foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place one potato (peeled and sliced) in the middle of each piece of foil.
- Place about ¼ of the diced carrots and sliced onions on top of the potatoes.
- Place a beef pattie on top of the vegetables on each piece of foil.
- Top each foil packet with a tablespoon of butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold up the sides of the foil. Then fold up the other sides to make a foil pack.
- Place on the grill on medium high heat (or a campfire) for approximately 30 minutes-40 minutes or until the hamburger patties are cooked through (internal temperature of 160 degrees F.)
- Open the foil packets carefully, top each of the patties with approximately ¼ cup of the shredded cheese immediately. Once melted, the hobo dinners are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe