Restaurant quality Grilled Tomahawk Steak cooks perfectly on the grill or oven. You only need 3 ingredients to make this delicious large cut of steak.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Grilled Tomahawk Steak Recipe:
Grilled Tomahawk Steak is a large cut of steak that grills perfectly with simple seasoning. This restaurant quality steak has been referenced as a caveman steak because of the shape and size of the steak.
This tomahawk steak is meant to be shared. You can easily grill one steak and serve it to your family. The steak only requires salt and pepper to season it and after grilling the results are a tender and juicy steak.
This impressive steak is cooked easily on the grill or oven. Serve with your favorite sides at your next BBQ.
What is a Tomahawk Steak?
Tomahawk Steak is a bone-in ribeye steak that is cut with about 5 inches of the rib bone left on steak. The steak is trimmed of the meat and fat and is left with a handle on the steak.
The steak looks like a tomahawk which is why it is named Tomahawk Steak.
- Tomahawk Steaks
How to Cook Tomahawk Steak on Grill:
- Step 1 – Season Steaks – Season all sides of the steak with salt and pepper. Let the steaks rest at room temperature to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes,
- Step 2 – Heat Grill – Preheat a grill to have 2 grill zones. Preheat one side of the grill to a very high heat (approximately 500-600 degrees F) and keep the other side of the grill off for an indirect heat zone.
- Step 3 – Place steaks on Grill – Place the steaks on the grill over the high direct heat. Sear the steak for 3-4 minutes. When the steak starts to release easily from the grill. Flip the steaks and grill for 3-4 more minutes until the steak starts to release on the opposite side.
- Step 4 – Place steaks over indirect heat – Move the steaks to the indirect heat zone of the grill. Cover and continue to cook until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the steak is cooked to a safe temperature.
- Step 5 – Serve and Enjoy – Let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy.
How long to Cook Tomahawk Steak:
Once the grill has heated to a high temperature, place to the steaks over the direct heat. You will sear the steak for about 3 minutes on each side.
Then move the steaks to the indirect heat to reverse sear and close the grill lid. All the steaks to cook until the temperature of the steak you desire.
Use a instant read thermometer to get the desired temperature.
When to know when Steak is done:
The best way to test for doneness is by inserting an instant read meat thermometer into the thickest part of the steak. Do this through the side, not the top of the steak.
- Rare – 120F, cool to warm red center
- Medium Rare – 130F, Warm red center
- Center is Medium – 140F, Hot pink center
- Medium Well – 150F, Mostly brown center
- Well Done – 160F, full brown in color
Cooking time will vary will depend on how done you want your steak.
How to Cook Tomahawk Steak in the Oven:
Tomahawk steak can be cook in the oven with these simple steps.
- Season steak with kosher salt and pepper. Make sure before cooking in the oven that the steak has set to room temperature.
- Sear steak in a cast iron skillet before placing in the oven.
- You can cook the steak in a cast iron skillet or placing on a baking sheet.
- Bake the steak in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- Cooking time will vary, but it will take about 15 to 20 minutes to cook the steak.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the steak is cook to desired temperature.
What to Serve with Tomahawk Steak:
The options are endless to serve with steaks. When we grill steaks, I like to grill my sides as it is less to clean up and everything is done about the same time. These are some of my favorites.
- Grilled Zucchini in Foil – Zucchini grilled in foil is a simple and easy side dish that is great paired with many different meats. We love cooking our veggies in foil as it cooks the vegetables tender and tons of smoky flavor.
- Grilled Mushrooms – I love this mushrooms recipe. The mushrooms are cooked directly on the grill with the skewers. These are the perfect mushrooms to serve over the top.
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes – Sweet Potatoes are one of our favorite side dishes. This healthy vegetable cooks perfectly on the grill without a lot of work.
- More Side Dishes to serve with Steak
- Crispy Texture – If you prefer a crispy texture, we recommend allow the steak to cook over direct heat. Then move to indirect heat to finish cooking.
- Meat Thermometer – Use meat thermometer to make sure the steak is cooked to your desired temperature.
- Room Temperature – All the steaks to be at room temperature before placing on the grill.
- Rest steaks – We recommend after grilling the steaks to allow the steaks to rest before slicing. This locks in the moisture to make a juicy steaks, tender and delicious.
- Prepare Grates – You may need to oil the grill grates with olive oil to prevent the steaks from sticking.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning. We kept it simple with salt and pepper but you can season it how your prefer.
- Charcoal Grill – We usually use our gas grill to grill steaks, but you can also grill this steak on a charcoal grill.
- Cooking Method – You can cook this tomahawk ribeye steak on the grill, in the oven or on a cast iron skillet.
- Melted Butter – This tomahawk steak is delicious topped with melted butter over the top. Once the steak has been removed, top with garlic butter and serve.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Print Recipe here for How to Grill Tomahawk Steak:
How to Grill Tomahawk Steak
- Season all sides of the steak with salt and pepper. Let the steaks rest at room temperature to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes,
- Preheat a grill to have 2 grill zones. Preheat one side of the grill to a very high heat (approximately 500-600 degrees F) and keep the other side of the grill off for an indirect heat zone.
- Place the steaks on the grill over the high direct heat. Sear the steak for 3-4 minutes. When the steak starts to release easily from the grill. Flip the steaks and grill for 3-4 more minutes until the steak starts to release on the opposite side.
- Move the steaks to the indirect heat zone of the grill. Cover and cook until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the steak is cooked to a safe temperature.
- Let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Grilled Steak Recipes:
- How to Grill a T-Bone Steak
- Blackstone steak and Mushroom Recipe
- Blackstone Sirloin Steak Recipe
- More Grilled Steak Recipes