Grilled Chicken Wings is the perfect game day food or an easy appetizer to feed a crowd. Simple ingredients makes these wing a family favorite.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe:
Making chicken wings is a must when we are hosting a game day party or for an appetizer. We love that they are simple to make and made with easy ingredients. Grilling chicken wings is our favorite because of the smoky and charred texture the grill gives them.
You can leave these chicken wings plain or add a sauce to them. This recipe will give the tips and tricks to grill these wings perfectly every time. The wings are so crispy on the outside but tender and juicy on the inside. The wings are simply amazing.
These chicken wings are grilled to perfection in less than 30 minutes. You will love the flavor that they have and how easy they are to prepare.
- Chicken Wings (if whole, cut the chicken wings into sections)
- Garlic Powder
How to Cook Chicken Wings on the Grill:
- Step 1 – Preheat the gas grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F) and rub the grill grates with oil to prevent the chicken wings from sticking to the grill.
- Step 2 – Dry the chicken as much as possible and then coat the chicken with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Step 3 – Place the chicken wings on the grill over direct heat. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes flipping them every 2-3 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Step 4 – Remove the wings on the grill. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy.
How Long to Grill Chicken Wings:
After preparing chicken wings with seasoning, place the wings on the grill over direct heat. Make sure to use an oil with a high burn rate. Olive oil, Avocado oil, vegetable or coconut oil all work great.
Cover and cook wings for about 15 to 20 minutes total. Every few minutes we recommend flipping wings and continue cooking until chicken wings are finished cooking. Since the grill is high in hot, it doesn’t take long for the wings to get a golden brown.
Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. This cooking process is much less messy then deep fryer them. This recipe is super easy to make and always a crowd favorite.
Do you Sauce Wings before or after Grilling?
We recommend adding the sauce after you done grilling them. There are a variety of sauces that you can use to make these wings even better. The sauces can range from spicy to sweet or just leave them plain.
Tips for Grilling Chicken Wings:
- Add a sauce – You can either dip the wings in your favorite type of wing sauce or coat them fully before serving. Try Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe.
- Oil the Grates – Use an oil with a high heat rate to oil the grill gates. Avocado oil, vegetable or coconut oil all work great. Making sure the grates are oil prevents the wings from sticking.
- Hot Grill – You want to make sure that your grill is hot before placing the wings on the grill. We recommend that the grill be about 400 to 425 degrees.
- Dry Wings – After rinsing the wings, make sure you pat them dry with a paper towel before seasoning them.
- Prevent Burning – While grilling the wings, make sure to flip every few minutes to prevent the wings from burning.
- Instant Read Thermometer – I like to check periodically the temperature of the wings. When they reach about 165 degrees I know that they are done.
This grilled chicken wings recipe is a basic recipe that can be enjoyed as is or you can add your favorite seasoning or sauce.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning – This seasoning is very popular and taste amazing when tossed with your favorite wings.
- Cajun Seasoning – This seasoning blend gives the wing an extra kick and gives them so much flavor.
- Favorite Sauce – One of my kids like the chicken wings to be plain, but you can also toss the wings in your favorite sauce. When the wings are finished on the griddle, you can toss them in sauce or bake and then add the sauce.
- BBQ Sauce – We like mixing BBQ Sauce with the chicken wings. It adds flavor and is one of my favorite ways to serve the chicken wings. Honey BBQ Sauce is also a family favorite.
- Buffalo Sauce – Add buffalo sauce to the cooked chicken wings. You can use bottled buffalo sauce or make your own
What to Serve with Chicken Wings?
Chicken wings is perfect as a appetizer or as a meal. When I make a meat on the grill, I like to prepare easy sides that can be made on the grill.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob – This recipe is so easy to make and it pairs perfectly with these chicken wings.
- Roasted Broccoli – I always like to make a side of a green vegetable. Roasted Broccoli is a family favorite and it cooks perfectly in the oven.
- Raw Vegetables – I love to make a large vegetable tray with a side of ranch to dip them into. This is the perfect side when I am hosting a party and we are serving these crispy grilled chicken wings.
- See What to Serve with Chicken Wings and More Grilled Chicken Side Dishes
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. When you are ready to serve, reheat in the oven or air fryer to get the crispy texture. These grilled chicken wings are great leftover and an amazing after school snack.
Easy Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe:
We love to grill out any chance we get. We love these grilled chicken wings so much that we have even grilled when it is colder. This grilled chicken wings recipe would even be great in the oven or in the air fryer.
Make sure to serve with a side of your favorite dipping sauce such as ranch or BBQ sauce. These wings are full of flavor and will be a hit at your next game day party.
Print Recipe here for Grilled Chicken Wings:
Grilled Chicken Wings
- Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F) and rub the grill grates with oil to prevent the chicken wings from sticking to the grill.
- Dry the chicken as much as possible and then coat the chicken with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the chicken wings on the grill over direct heat. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes flipping them every 2-3 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Grilled Recipes:
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs Grilled Recipe
- Grilled Cauliflower Steaks Recipe