This Grilled Parmesan Asparagus is a delicious side dish. Placing the asparagus spears directly on the grill gives the perfect grill marks and smoky flavor.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Grilled Parmesan Asparagus Recipe:
If you love cooking asparagus, then you need to try this Grilled Parmesan Asparagus Recipe. The asparagus stalks are placed directly on the grill to create the best flavor.
This recipe is quick and easy and the perfect side dish to steak, chicken, or salmon. You can place in a grilling basket or add directly to the grill. We have even placed in foil for an easy foil pack recipe.
Cooking vegetables on the grill is one of my favorite side dish. Anytime we grill, we love to cook our side dishes on there as well. It saves time and cleanup is a breeze. We love this recipe and placing on a serving platter.
How to Cut Asparagus:
Before cooking this asparagus recipe, we recommend properly cutting them to remove any tough ends. If you need tips and tricks on how to cut them, we have all the information here.
- Gather thick asparagus spears together and place on a cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the ends of the asparagus. This is usually where the tough ends are located.
- Continue until all the asparagus have been cut.
- Fresh Asparagus
- Olive Oil
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
How to Make Grilled Parmesan Asparagus:
- Step 1 – Heat Grill – Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Step 2 – Remove tough ends – Remove the tough ends of the asparagus by snapping the ends off.
- Step 3 – Season asparagus – Then place the asparagus in a medium size mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top and season with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Step 4 – Evenly coat – Then toss the asparagus to make sure that they are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Step 5 – Place on Grill – Then place the asparagus across the grill grates. Close the lid and grill for 6-10 flipping them halfway through. The cook time until the asparagus are tender and charred slightly.
- Step 6 – Remove Asparagus – Then remove the asparagus. Immediately top the asparagus with the grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Step 7 – Serve – Serve warm and enjoy.
Why is my Grilled Asparagus soggy?
Grilled Asparagus stalks gets soggy when it is cooked to long. Because asparagus doesn’t take that long to cook, you will need to watch it closely. It is a good idea to take it off the grill around the 6-7 minute mark and check it.
You want your asparagus to have a crisp, tender bite. Since we place the asparagus directly on the grill, we love the char marks it give them.
Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Asparagus – Make sure to clean and trim asparagus before grilling them.
- Soaking Asparagus – There is no need to soak asparagus before grilling.
- Seasoning – Add olive oil and seasoning to a bowl and completely cover before grilling.
- Grilling – When grilling the asparagus make sure to flip the asparagus to cook both sides. This allows the asparagus to get lightly charred and full of flavor. Make sure to grill over medium heat.
- Parmesan Cheese – Immediately top the asparagus with parmesan cheese as soon as you pull off the grill.
Grilled Asparagus Recipe Variation Ideas:
- Foil Packets – If you prefer you can easily place the asparagus in a foil packet and cook on the grill.
- Seasoning – Feel free to use different seasoning to make this recipe. We have even squeeze of lemon juice on the asparagus as soon as we remove from the grill. Sprinkling Italian seasoning is also a delicious addition to this recipe.
- Cheese – Instead of parmesan cheese you can use mozzarella cheese or other types of cheeses.
- Grill Pan – If you prefer or worried about the asparagus falling through the grill grates. You can place the asparagus in a grill pan.
How do you Make Asparagus Crispy on the Grill:
If you prefer that your asparagus have a crispy texture, grill the asparagus on medium to high heat. Placing the asparagus directly on the grill creates a crispy texture.
How Long to Grill Asparagus:
Grilling Parmesan Asparagus doesn’t take long. That is why we love this quick and easy healthy side dish. If seasoned correctly and lightly charred, my kids will eat this vegetable without complaining.
Plus adding the parmesan cheese makes this a crowd favorite dish. You want to make sure that you don’t over grill it, because it can turn soggy.
We have perfected this grilled vegetable and grill it about 6 to 10 minutes. It turns out perfect crispy and tender.
Can I Prepare this Recipe in the Oven?
Yes, this recipe works great placing on a baking sheet and cooking the oven. You may not get that smoky flavor, but it is perfect for when it is to cold to cook outside.
After seasoning, place the asparagus in a preheated oven at 425 degrees. Cook the asparagus for about 15 minutes or until tender.
You want to make sure that you do not overcook as asparagus can turn mushy quickly.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can also use leftover asparagus in your eggs or tossed in your salad to repurpose your leftovers.
We have even mixed in with a casserole or fried rice to use up the leftovers.
Print Recipe for Grilled Parmesan Asparagus:
Grilled Parmesan Asparagus
- Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove the tough ends of the asparagus by snapping the ends off.
- Then place the asparagus in a medium size mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top and season with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Then toss the asparagus to make sure that they are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Then place the asparagus across the grill grates. Close the lid and grill for 6-10 flipping them halfway through the cook time until the asparagus are tender and charred slightly.
- Then remove the asparagus. Immediately top the asparagus with the grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe