Blackstone Blackened Tilapia is a delicious white fish that is easy to make on the griddle. The blackening seasoning gives the tilapia fillets so much flavor.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Blackstone Blackened Tilapia Recipe:
This blackened fish recipe is one of our favorites to make. We love cooking tilapia on the griddle as it gives the fish so much flavor. It cooks quickly on the griddle which makes it the perfect weeknight meal.
I try to fix fish filets more now for a healthier option. We still eat a lot of chicken, but it is nice to serve a different option. Rubbing the blackened seasoning on the tilapia really enhances the flavor.
The great thing about this seasoning blend is it can be used on any kind of fish, chicken, or vegetables. The next time you are looking to change up your seafood recipes add a Blackened seasoning to it.
What is Blackened Seasoning?
We love making homemade seasoning at home. You can easily find blackened seasoning at the store, but making it homemade allows your to customize the blend.
Blackened seasoning usually includes the following spices:
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
If you are a fan of Cajun seasoning, then you will love this Blackening Seasoning.
- Tilapia Filets
- Blackened Seasoning
- Vegetable Oil
How to Make Blackened Tilapia on the Blackstone Griddle:
- Step 1 – Rub Tilapia with Oil – Place the tilapia on a plate. Rub 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil onto both sides of the tilapia filets.
- Step 2 – Add seasoning to tilapia – Spoon the homemade blackened seasoning over the fish and spread around (both sides).
- Step 3 – Season to your preference – I use about ½ tablespoon per fish. You can adjust the seasoning amount based on your preference. The more you use, the spicier it will be and the less you use, the milder it will be.
- Step 4 – Heat Grill – Preheat a Blackstone Grill over medium high heat (approximately 450 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Step 5 – Add Oil to Grill – Spread the remaining vegetable oil onto the Blackstone grill.
- Step 6 – Add Tilapia to Grill – Place tilapia on the grill and let it cook for 3 minutes. Time it and don’t move the fish, so it can get that beautiful blackened crust on it.
- Step 7 – Cook Tilapia – Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes. Cook until the tilapia has an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook time may vary depending on your griddle.
- Step 8 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove to a separate plate and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Can you Cook on the Stovetop?
Yes, this Tilapia recipe can easily be made indoors if you do not have a Blackstone. We recommend cooking in skillet pan or a cast iron skillet. Season the tilapia as the recipe indicates.
Cook the tilapia in cast iron skillet over medium heat in melted butter or olive oil. Cook for about 3 minutes per side and internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. This easy recipe is great served with your favorite side dishes.
How to Blackened Tilapia:
Blackening tilapia is so easy to do. Make sure your griddle has been heated and oiled before adding tilapia to the griddle. Allow the fish to cook for the full 3 minutes without flipping it.
Allowing the fish to cook on both sides for at least 3 minutes gives the tilapia the best blackened texture. It also brings out the blackened seasoning when allowed to cook.
- Heat Griddle – Make sure you have allowed the griddle to get hot before placing the tilapia on the griddle.
- Seasoning – Generously season the tilapia on both sides. If you prefer it to not be as seasoned, you can use less of the seasoning.
- Cooking Tilapia – Make sure to allow the tilapia to cook for at least 2-3 minutes per side. This creates the best color and flavor in the tilapia. Check temperature before removing from the griddle.
- Change the Fish – You can easily cook different types of fish on the griddle. Blackened seasoning works great with any of these fish types. Try it on Mahi Mahi, catfish, or halibut.
- Fish Tacos Recipe – Make fish tacos with this cooked tilapia recipe. Slice the tilapia into strips and place in corn tortillas. Top the fish with fresh squeezed lime juice, tomatoes, avocados and cilantro. I even love to add some shredded cabbage with lemon juice.
- Blackened Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer. You can even add in brown sugar to give it a hint of sweetness.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Print Recipe for Blackstone Blackened Tilapia:
Blackstone Blackened Tilapia
- 4 Tilapia Filets
- 2 Tablespoons Blackened Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Place the tilapia on a plate. Rub 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil onto both sides of the tilapia filets.
- Spoon the homemade blackened seasoning over the fish and spread around (both sides). I use about ½ tablespoon per fish. You can adjust the seasoning amount based on your preference. The more you use, the spicier it will be and the less you use, the milder it will be.
- Preheat a Blackstone Grill over medium high heat (approximately 450 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Spread the remaining vegetable oil onto the Blackstone grill.
- Place tilapia on the grilland let it cook for 3 minutes. Time it and don’t move the fish, so it can get that beautiful blackened crust on it.
- Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes until the tilapia has an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove to a separate plate and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Blackened Recipes:
- Blackstone Blackened Salmon Recipe
- Grilled Blackened Tilapia Recipe
- Scallops on Blackstone
- How to Make Blackened Seasoning
- Blackstone Blackened Mahi Mahi