Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza is loaded with smoky, sweet and savory flavor. Add your favorite toppings and grill for a quick dinner idea.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe:
My kids love eating pizza and could eat it every night. In fact, we do have pizza every Friday night and this Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza is on rotation. The sweet, smoky and savory flavors makes this pizza a family favorite.
This is a great recipe to use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. If you love barbecue sauce then you are going to love this pizza. Start with a pre-made pizza crust and add your favorite pizza toppings.
Grilling pizza gives the pizza crust the perfect texture and flavor. On your next pizza night, make this BBQ Chicken Pizza. Whether you grill it or bake it, this pizza will be a hit.
What is the Best Pizza Crust to Use?
When we make pizza on the grill, we like to use store bought pre-made pizza crust. But you can use Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe if you prefer. If you use homemade pizza dough, you will need to grill it first before adding your toppings.
There are many pizza crust options to fit many different diet restrictions.
- Premade (pre-cooked) Pizza Crust
- Shredded Cooked Chicken
- Favorite BBQ Sauce (divided)
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Red Onion, diced
- Fresh parsley to garnish, chopped
How to Make Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- Step 1 – Heat Grill – Preheat the grill over medium high heat.
- Step 2 – Toss Chicken – In a small bowl, toss the chicken with the ¼ cup BBQ sauce. Seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Step 3 – Spread BBQ Sauce – Spread the rest of the bbq sauce on the premade pizza crust. You can also top the crust with olive oil.
- Step 4 – Top Chicken and Cheese – Top with the chicken and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Step 5 – Add Onions – Sprinkle with red onions.
- Step 6 – Top with Cheese – Top with shredded cheddar cheese
- Step 7 – Place on Grill – Place on a grill and cover.
- Step 8 – Grill Pizza – Cook over medium/low heat for 8-12 minutes. Cook until cheese is melted and the crust is brown.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve hot with fresh parsley on top.
How Long to Cook Pizza on the Grill:
Grilling pizza doesn’t take long but it will depend on your grill and the type of crust you use. After placing the pizza on the grill, grill for about 8 minutes.
You will know that your pizza is done cooking when the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
BBQ Chicken Pizza on the Grill Variation Ideas:
- Crust – Feel free to use different types of crust. You can use flat bread, tortillas, or homemade pizza dough.
- Cheese – Top the pizza with different types of cheeses. You can use Monterey Jack Cheese, Smoked Gouda Cheese, or Pepper Jack Cheese.
- Chicken – We used cooked and shredded skinless chicken breasts to top the pizza. But you can also make the barbecue chicken with chicken thighs, rotisserie chicken or chicken tenders.
- Other Toppings – Feel free to add more vegetables to top the pizza. Top with diced tomato, chopped peppers and serve with cilantro.
BBQ Chicken Grilled Pizza Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Grill – Make sure to prepare the grill by preheating and cleaning the grill grates. You can also cook the pizza on a charcoal grill.
- Cheese – Make sure to shred your own cheese when making this recipe. If you use pre-shredded cheese it may not melt as well or taste as good.
- Serving – This pizza is best served hot. Once we remove from the grill, place on a cutting board and slice.
How to Make Grilled BBQ Pizza in the Oven:
If you prefer you can make this BBQ Pizza indoors. Prepare the pizza as the recipe indicates and place on a baking sheet or pizza stone. Cook pizza in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
Bake pizza for about 10 pizza or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
What to Serve with Grilled BBQ Pizza?
Grilled BBQ Pizza is great served as is but you can also serve with your favorite side dishes.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store your leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Make sure to place in an air tight container. When ready to reheat, place in the oven or in the air fryer.
More Easy Grilled Pizza Recipes:
Print Recipe for Grilled BBQ Pizza:
Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 12 inch premade, pre-cooked pizza crust
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- ¼ Red onion diced
- Fresh parsley to garnish chopped
- Preheat the grill over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, toss the chicken with the ¼ cup bbq sauce.
- Spread the rest of the bbq sauce on the premade pizza crust.
- Top with the chicken and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with red onions.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese
- Place on a grill and cover.
- Cook over medium/low heat for 8-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and the crust is brown.
- Serve hot with fresh parsley on top.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe