Grilled Pizza is a delicious way to cook pizza. The pizza cooks perfectly on the grill and these steps will have you enjoying pizza quick and easy.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Grilled Pizza Recipe:
My family loves pizza and can eat it every day. This pizza on the grill recipe is one of our favorite ways to enjoy a classic pizza. Cooking pizza on the grill gives it a smoky flavor and the perfect texture.
Take your pizza recipe to the next level and make it on the grill. Prepare your homemade crust or buy store bought crust. Allow the crust to grill for a few minutes and then add your favorite toppings.
This is nothing better than a crispy, chewy pizza crust for a quick and easy dinner idea. The cheese melts perfectly and now my family prefers grill pizza over oven baked.
Can Pizza be Cooked in a Grill?
Yes, you can cook a pizza on the grill. Cooking pizza on the grill allows you to keep the heat outside and the flavor is similar to wood fire grill.
You can cook the pizza on a charcoal grill or a gas grill and the results are a delicious pizza with tons of flavor. The next time you make a homemade pizza, cook it on the grill for a quick and easy dinner idea.
The crust gets the perfect grill marks and the topping melt together perfectly.
Grilled Pizza Ingredients:
- Pizza Dough (store bought or homemade pizza dough)
- Pizza Sauce
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (sliced)
- Sliced Pepperoni
- Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped (optional)
- Flour (for dusting)
- Olive Oil
- Any additional pizza toppings you want!
How to Grill Pizza:
- Step 1 – Heat the Grill – Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 450 degrees F).
- Step 2 – Roll the Dough – Roll the dough into a 12 inch circle with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface.
- Step 3 – Poke Holes – Use a fork to poke holes all over the center of the pizza dough to keep it from bubbling in the oven.
- Step 4 – Oil the Grates – Rub the grill grates with the olive oil so that the dough doesn’t stick to the grill.
- Step 5 – Place dough on grill – Use a floured baking sheet to place the pizza dough directly on the grill. Close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Step 6 – Flip the dough – Flip the pizza dough so that the grilled side is up.
- Step 7 – Top with pizza sauce – Spread pizza sauce onto the pizza crust (grilled side).
- Step 8 – Add toppings – Top with the sliced mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Step 9 – Clow the Lid – Close the lid on the grill and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned. If the crust browns too quickly, reduce the temperature on the grill.
- Step 10 – Remove the Pizza – Carefully remove the pizza from the grill. Let the pizza sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Step 11 – Serve – Top with the fresh chopped basil leaves. Slice pizza on a cutting board, serve and enjoy.
Pizza Topping Ideas:
If you are anything like my family, we all like something different on our pizzas. Some like tons of cheese and my son like his pizza with no cheese. That is why this grilled pizza recipe is perfect for my family.
- Marinara Sauce
- Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- Canadian Bacon
- Black Olives
- Bell Peppers
Tips for Grilled Pizza:
- Pizza Dough – Prepare the pizza dough by scratch or you can use a already prepared pizza dough. We have even used flatbread pizza for a easy pizza recipe.
- Fresh Ingredients – For best results use fresh ingredients when you are making the dough. This is really important for the yeast. If your yeast is expired, I would buy another one. This helps to get the dough to rise and the pizza crust will be delicious.
- Divide the Dough – If you want to make mini pizza’s, you can divide the dough. This allows everyone to get their own pizza to add their favorite toppings.
- Poke Holes in Dough – Before placing the dough poke holes with a fork. This keeps the dough from bubbling up on the griddle.
- Grill Crust – We recommend grilling dough first to cook for a couple of minutes before adding toppings.
- Cooked Pizza Dough – Once cooked place pizza crust on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add your topping to the cooked side and then place pizza back on the grill. Cook pizza until golden brown.
- Allow Pizza to Rest – Once you have removed the pizza from the grill, allow it to rest for about 5 minutes.
What to Serve with Homemade Pizza:
There are many things that can be served with homemade pizza. Our favorite thing is inviting our friends over and making a Pizza Bar. Everyone brings there favorite sides and make pizza together.
These are our favorite sides:
- Bread Sticks
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This grilled pizza is best served immediately, but it is still delicious leftover. Reheat in the oven on a baking sheet or place in the air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
You only need to use a pizza stone to cook the crust. If you are using a pre-made crust then you do not need a pizza stone. You can easily cook the crust in the oven and then finishing cooking the pizza on the grill.
If you oil the grill grates, it will not stick the grill.
Pizza cooks the best when the temperature is at a high heat. We like to pre-heat the grill to about 450 degrees.
Print Recipe here for Grilled Pizza:
- 1 Pound Pizza Dough store bought or homemade
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 4 ounces sliced pepperoni
- Fresh basil leaves chopped (optional)
- Flour for dusting
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Any additional pizza toppings you want!
- Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 450 degrees F).
- Roll the dough into a 12 inch circle with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over the center of the pizza dough to keep it from bubbling in the oven.
- Rub the grill grates with the olive oil so that the dough doesn’t stick to the grill.
- Use a floured baking sheet to place the pizza dough directly on the grill. Close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Flip the pizza dough so that the grilled side is up.
- Spread pizza sauce onto the pizza crust (grilled side).
- Top with the sliced mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Close the lid on the grill and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned. If the crust browns too quickly, reduce the temperature on the grill.
- Carefully remove the pizza from the grill. Let the pizza sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Top with the fresh chopped basil leaves. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Pizza Recipes:
- Blackstone Pizza Dough Recipe
- Grilled Flatbread Pizza
- Blackstone Pizza Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Stromboli Pizza Blackstone Recipe