These Grilled Shishito Peppers make the perfect appetizer for all your summertime BBQ’s. These peppers are lightly seasoned and loaded with smoky flavor.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
We love grilling out when the weather gets warmer. I have made Grilled Bell Peppers before for an amazing side dish. But these shishito peppers make best appetizer with the perfect amount of smoky flavor.
Table of Contents
What are Shishito Peppers?
Shishito Peppers are Japanese peppers that make an amazing and easy appetizer. They are mild in flavor but there could be a few in a batch that are packed with heat. They have a sweet and slight smoky flavor and even better served with your favorite dipping sauce. They are in the chili peppers family.
We place them directly on the grill and then allow the grill to char them in about 6 minutes. You may have even heard them called blistered shishito peppers.
- Fresh Shishito Peppers
- Olive Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Sea Salt
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
- Oil – We used olive oil but you can also use avocado oil for this easy recipe.
- Sauce – Soy sauce as amazing flavor, but you can also use fresh lemon juice or lime juice.
Step by Step Instructions
- Step 1 – Preheat the grill to medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Step 2 – In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add in the peppers and toss to thoroughly coat the peppers with the mixture.
- Step 3 – Place the peppers directly on top of the grill grates in a single layer and grill them for approximately 6-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the peppers are blistered and charred.
- Step 4 – Remove the charred and blistered peppers from the grill. Serve topped with salt and enjoy!
- Stems – Do not eat the stems on the peppers. Make sure to discard them.
- Prepare Grill – Preheat the grill and oil the grates before placing the peppers on the grill. You can also grill them in a grill pan if you are afraid the peppers falling through the grill.
- Fresh Shishito Peppers – These peppers can be stored in the crisper fridge for up to 10 days before they need to be cooked.
These grilled shishito peppers are even better served with your favorite dips. We usually serve with a ranch dipping sauce or a aioli sauce.
When serving top the delicious peppers with fresh cilantro, sesame seeds or drizzle with garlic butter. This addictive vegetable will be your most requested grilled appetizer recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store any leftover peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yes, you can easily make these peppers on the stovetop in your cast iron skillet. We have even made in the air fryer for the perfect crispy texture.
More Easy Grilled Appetizer Recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make these Grilled Shishito Peppers, please leave us a star review.
Grilled Shishito Peppers
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add in the peppers and toss to thoroughly coat the peppers with the mixture.
- Place the peppers directly on top of the grill grates in a single layer and grill them for approximately 6-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the peppers are blistered and charred.
- Remove the peppers from the grill. Serve topped with salt and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe