Panda Express Grilled Teriyaki Chicken is a delicious copycat recipe. We love the homemade teriyaki sauce flavor which makes the chicken taste amazing.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Copycat Express Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Recipe:
This Panda Express copycat recipe is a family favorite. It is loaded with flavor and taste amazing. Skinless chicken thighs are grilled and then basted with a thick sweet glaze.
You will love making this Panda Express Teriyaki Chicken copycat recipe. The combination of the soy sauce with the marinade ingredients makes a delicious sauce.
Add a side of brown rice and veggies to create a complete meal idea. The teriyaki sauce made of simple ingredients and be used for many different meats.
- Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Vegetable Oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Lemon (juiced)
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Ginger
How to Make Panda Express Teriyaki Chicken Recipe:
- Step 1 – Coat Chicken – Coat the chicken thighs with vegetable oil. Then season them with salt and pepper (both sides).
- Step 2 – Heat Grill – Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Step 3 – Grill Chicken – Add the chicken on the grill over direct heat. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 4 – Remove Chicken – Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Step 5 – Make Sauce – While the chicken is grilling, in a saucepan, mix together sauce ingredients on low heat. Mix the sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, pound ginger and water.
- Step 6 – Boil – Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a lower temperature. Simmer for approximately 3 minutes.
- Step 7 – Make Cornstarch Slurry – In a small bowl, whisk together the tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir this cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and heat for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Step 8 – Serve and Enjoy – Brush the sauce onto the cooked chicken and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Chicken – Makes sure coat chicken with oil and season both sides. This allows the chicken taste amazing.
- Grilling Chicken – Grill chicken directly on the grill or you can place in a grill pan. You can also cook the chicken in a skillet.
- Rest Chicken – Before adding the sauce to the chicken, make sure to allows the chicken to rest.
- Chicken is Cooking – While the chicken is cooking, combine the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl or saucepan. Add in the cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- Make Ahead – Feel free to make ahead the sauce ahead of time which will save time. You can also marinade the chicken the night before.
- Checking Chicken for doneness – We use an meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked to a safe temperature.
- Adding Teriyaki Sauce – Once the chicken is done cooking, rub the sauce on the chicken. Then cook the chicken for a minute to caramelize the sauce.
Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Panda Express Variations Ideas:
- Change the Meat – We used chicken thighs in this recipe but you can also grill chicken breasts or chicken tenders. You can also use this sauce to cook shrimp or steak.
- Teriyaki Sauce – The ingredients for the teriyaki sauce can be changed to what you prefer. Feel free to add in honey, brown sugar, and more.
- Serving of Food – This teriyaki chicken is great served with many different sides. You can make a fried rice, vegetables and mushrooms. We love to garnish the recipe with chopped green onions and pineapple.
- Soy Sauce – If you prefer a gluten free option, you can also use coconut aminos as a variation.
- Add Vegetables – We love to add in vegetables when mixing the sauce on the chicken.
Is Grilled Teriyaki Chicken from Panda Express healthy?
Yes, grilled teriyaki chicken at Panda Express is a healthy choice. Since the chicken is grilled it helps to save on calories. Add a side of veggies to complete the meal.
Does Chicken Need to Be Marinated before Grilling?
For this recipe, you will add the sauce after this chicken thighs are finished cooking. It depends on your preference and your marinade.
We usually do marinade the chicken before, but we also think it taste absolute delicious.
What is Teriyaki Sauce made of?
We love making Teriyaki Sauce out of pantry ingredients. They can easily be changed to what you prefer. The sauce heats quick and easy on the stovetop to be used for many different cuts of meats.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5-7 days. You can reheat the leftover in the microwave for a quick lunch the next day.
If you prefer, you can freeze Grilled Teriyaki Chicken by placing in a freezer-safe container. If stored properly, the chicken will last about 3 months.
Print Recipe for Panda Express Grilled Teriyaki Chicken:
Panda Express Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Coat the chicken thighs with vegetable oil and season them with salt and pepper (both sides).
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Place the chicken on the grill over direct heat. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is grilling, in a saucepan, mix together the sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, pound ginger and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for approximately 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir this mixture into the saucepan and heat for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Brush the sauce onto the cooked chicken and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe