For a smoky flavor potato, make Smoked Baked Potatoes. You will love the flavor of the potatoes and the crispy texture for the perfect side dish.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
The Best Smoked Baked Potato Recipe:
We love a good bake potato for an easy side dish served with many different meats. That is why we love the smoked flavor of this potato recipe.
After baking the potatoes in the smoker the results are a soft inside and a crispy texture. The perfect flavor to add your favorite toppings. You only need 3 ingredients to make these baked potato.
If you are new to using your smoker, make this recipe. Add your favorite wood chips to your pellet smoker for the best flavor. Add your favorite grilled meats to complete your meal.
What type of Potatoes are best to Smoke?
The kind of potatoes that we used in this recipe is a russet potato. This seems to be the best potato to use in your smoker, but you can use other kinds. You can try Yukon Gold Potatoes or Red Potatoes.
The cooking time may change based on the type of potato and the size.
- Medium Russet Potatoes (cleaned and dried)
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
How to Cook Bake Potatoes in the Smoker:
- Step 1 – Heat Smoker – Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan. Use your favorite type of wood chips. Any work well in this recipe.
- Step 2 – Poke Holes in Potato – Use a fork to poke various holes into the potatoes. Place the oil in a shallow bowl and place the sea salt in a separate shallow bowl.
- Step 3 – Cover in Oil – Then place the potatoes in the bowl with the oil. Then turn it to ensure that all sides of the potatoes are covered in the oil. Then move the oiled potatoes to the bowl with the salt. Then turn to coat the outside of the potato with the salt.
- Step 4 – Smoke Potatoes – Place the potatoes in the smoker directly on the grill grates. Smoke them for 2 – 2.5 hours until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Step 5 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove the potatoes from the smoker. Then they are ready to serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
How Long to Smoke Baked Potatoes:
Make sure to prepare your smoker and preheat it to 225 degrees. Place the potatoes on the grill grates. Smoke the potatoes for about 2 hours. Cooking time will vary based on the size of your potatoes.
What Temperature do you Smoke Potatoes?
Potatoes can be smoked at 225 degrees and you can use any type of wood chips. Make sure to preheat smoker before adding the potatoes directly on the grill grates.
What are the Best Wood Pellets to Use?
You can easily use different types of fruit woods or any flavor you prefer. You can use cherry wood, hickory wood, and more.
Any of these options work great in your electric smoker.
How to Know When they are done:
You can check to see if the potato is cooked by using a thermometer. The internal temperature should read about 210 degrees. Another option is to poke through the crispy skin with a fork.
If the fork easily pokes through the potato then the potato is fully cooked.
Easy Baked Potato Bar Idea:
If you love to host parties, make a bake potato bar. Easily smoke several potatoes and set up a topping bar. Friends and family will love this idea.
It is a great way to stretch your meat budget. You can add diced chicken or steak. Just a couple of spoonful’s will go along way as a topping.
My kids think they are eating something new when really it is just leftover chicken. A baked potato bar is always a hit with everyone.
Smoked Potatoes Recipe Tips:
- Pellet Grill – Make sure to add chips to the smoker every 15 minutes. If your smoker does not have an automatic feature.
- Seasoning – You can easily seasoning the potato with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serving – Feel free to serve these potatoes with your favorite grilled meats. Serve with pulled pork, brisket, chicken or prime rib.
- Prepare the Potatoes – Make sure you prepare the potatoes before smoking. Wash the potatoes, poke holes with a fork and oil the potatoes.
- Smoking the Potatoes – The potatoes are best placed directly on the grill grates. If you do not have a smoker, you can cook the potatoes in the oven. If you cook in the oven, I would wrap with aluminum foil.
- Potatoes – When choosing your potatoes, make sure to try to get the potatoes about the same size. This allows them to cook evenly and done about the same time.
Bake Potato Topping Ideas:
There is nothing better than adding your favorite toppings to your bake potatoes. Make a bake potato bar with all of these toppings for a crowd pleasing side dish.
These are some of our favorite toppings.
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Bacon
- Salt and Pepper
- Green Onions
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Meats – Use leftover pulled pork, shredded chicken or ground beef
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Potatoes are really good leftovers. We top them with more cheese and bake again for about 10 minutes. It gets the skin extra crispy.
Twice-baked potatoes are just as delicious and what we do with our leftovers.
Why we Love Smoked Bake Potatoes:
- Healthy Side Dish – If you are looking for a budget friendly and healthy side dish make this recipe.
- Simple Ingredients – You can easily make this recipe with only 3 ingredients. Feel free to add your favorite seasoning for added flavor.
- Cook with Meats – If you are cooking smoked brisket or smoked corn, add bake potatoes. Everything cooks evenly and with the best smoky flavor.
- Best Texture – Smoking potatoes takes about the same time when cooking potatoes in the oven. But the flavor, crispy texture, and the light and fluffy inside is so much better.
Print Recipe for Smoked Bake Potatoes:
Smoked Baked Potatoes
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes cleaned and dried
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Sea Salt
- Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan. Use your favorite type of wood chips. Any work well in this recipe.
- Use a fork to poke various holes into the potatoes. Place the oil in a shallow bowl and place the sea salt in a separate shallow bowl.
- Then place the potatoes in the bowl with the oil and turn it to ensure that all sides of the potatoes are covered in the oil. Then move the oiled potatoes to the bowl with the salt and turn to coat the outside of the potato with the salt.
- Place the potatoes in the smoker directly on the grates. Smoke them for 2 – 2.5 hours until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the smoker and then they are ready to serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Smoker Recipes:
- Smoked Corn on the Cob Recipe
- Smoked Brussel Sprouts
- Smoked Italian Sausage
- Smoked Beef Short Ribs
- Smoked Asparagus
- Smoked Bone-In Turkey Breast Recipe
- Boneless Smoked Ham Recipe