Smoked Asparagus Recipe is a delicious and easy way to cook asparagus. The smoky flavor makes this the perfect side dish.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
If you are new to smoking vegetables and meats, then start with this asparagus recipe. The asparagus is sprinkle with simple seasoning and lemon to create a delicious side dish.
Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer. Serve the asparagus with grilled chicken, shrimp or beef for a complete meal idea.
How to Cut Asparagus Correctly:
When preparing Thick Asparagus Spears for the smoker, it is important to cut off the ends that are tough.
These easy steps will prepare your asparagus stalks.
- Trim the Woody Ends – Then ends of the asparagus are tough to eat, so they need to be trimmed off.
- Snap the Ends – To figure out where to cut, gently bend the asparagus. Where the asparagus bends is the start of the tender part.
- Line the Asparagus – Place the asparagus on a cutting board and cut the ends off. We use a sharp knife to trim off the woody ends.
- Clean and Season – Once you have trimmed them, then season them and prepare for the smoker.
- Fresh Asparagus
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Lemon cut in half
How to Smoke Asparagus:
- Step 1 – Prepare Smoker – Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan.
- Step 2 – Trim Asparagus – Remove the tough ends of the asparagus by snapping the ends off.
- Step 3 – Season Asparagus – Then place the asparagus in a medium size mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top and season with the salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Step 4 – Asparagus toss to Cover – Then toss the asparagus with seasonings. Make sure that they are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Step 5 – Put the Asparagus in Smoker – Then place the asparagus across the gates in the smoker. Close the lid and grill for 6-10 minutes. Flipping them halfway through the cook time until the asparagus are tender and charred slightly.
- Step 6 – Smoke Asparagus at 225 degrees – Smoke the asparagus for 50-70 minutes (flipping after 30 minutes). Smoke until the asparagus is tender but still crisp.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Then remove the asparagus. Squeeze the fresh lemon juice on top of the asparagus and serve while warm. Enjoy!
How to Tell when Asparagus is Cooked:
When your asparagus is cooked, the color will be bright green. If you hold the asparagus, it should have a slight bent. You want the asparagus to be tender but crispy.
Smoked Asparagus Tips:
- Preheat Smoker – Make sure to preheat the smoker before adding in the asparagus. It should be preheated to about 225 degrees.
- Prepare Asparagus – Make sure to prepare the asparagus by cleaning and chopping off the tough ends.
- Wood Chips – Smoke the asparagus with hickory, mesquite or cherry wood chips in your pellet smoker.
- Single Layer – When smoking asparagus, make sure place the asparagus in a single layer on the grill grates.
- Cooking Asparagus – Make sure you do not overcook the asparagus. You may need to change the cooking time based on the size of the asparagus.
What to Serve with Smoked Asparagus:
Smoked Asparagus can be served as a side dish for many different recipes. These are some of our favorite meats to cook with asparagus.
- Blackstone Steak Recipe – Cooking Blackstone Steak is easy and delicious with the perfect sear every time. These steaks come out tender, juicy and cooked to perfection.
- Grilled Shrimp – Grilled Shrimp on Blackstone turns shrimp crispy, juicy and full of flavor. Cooking shrimp on a Blackstone Griddle is fast, easy and a family favorite.
- Grilled Chicken – Make these easy Grilled Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs for all your summer BBQ’s. The marinade leaves these chicken thighs so flavorful.
Asparagus Smoker Variations Ideas:
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to mix with the asparagus. You can add in cloves garlic, tablespoons butter, or parmesan cheese.
- Red Pepper Flakes – For an extra flavor add in a teaspoon of red pepper flakes to season the asparagus. We love the natural sweetness of the asparagus.
- Other Ways to Cook – We love using our smoker, but we also love grilling asparagus and roasting asparagus. We have made foil packs with aluminum foil to cook the asparagus in.
How to Store Smoker Asparagus:
Leftover smoked asparagus needs to be stored in the refrigerator. Place in an air tight container and it will last about 3 days. Asparagus reheats well in the microwave with your leftover meats.
Print Recipe for Smoked Asparagus:
- Preheat a smoker to 225 degrees F with a water pan.
- Remove the tough ends of the asparagus by snapping the ends off.
- Then place the asparagus in a medium size mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top and season with the salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Then toss the asparagus to make sure that they are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Then place the asparagus across the gates in the smoker. Close the lid and grill for 6-10 flipping them halfway through the cook time until the asparagus are tender and charred slightly.
- Smoke the asparagus for 50-70 minutes (flipping after 30 minutes) until the asparagus is tender but still crisp.
- Then remove the asparagus. Squeeze the fresh lemon juice on top of the asparagus and serve while warm. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe