Garlic Lemon Grilled Shrimp is a delicious shrimp recipe that can grilled, cooked on the stovetop or baked. Simple ingredients make this the perfect weeknight meal.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Garlic Lemon Grilled Shrimp:
We love grilling out shrimp but adding garlic lemon to our shrimp gives it so much flavor. Grilled lemon garlic shrimp only requires a few ingredients and a few minutes on the grill and you have a healthy dinner idea.
Lemon garlic butter shrimp is always a crowd favorite. You can easily grill on skewers, cook in the oven or on your stove top. The results are delicious shrimp that can be served over pasta, on a salad or rice.
How long to Marinate Shirmp?
Since we are marinating shrimp in a lemon base marinade, you only need to marinate for about 20 minutes. We do not recommend marinating longer than 30 minutes as the shrimp will break down and be mushy.
If you marinade isn’t an lemon base, then you can marinade the shrimp for a longer period.
- Large Raw Shrimp, uncooked, peeled and deveined (tails on)
- Olive Oil
- Lemon (juiced)
- Minced Garlic
- Fresh Parsley chopped
How to Grill Garlic Lemon Shrimp:
- Step 1 – Whisk together all the ingredients except for the shrimp in a medium size bowl. Place the shrimp in the bowl with the salt and pepper.
- Step 2 – Cover and refrigerate for at least 20-30 minutes. Do not marinade for more than 30 minutes as the acid from the lemon will break down the shrimp. While the shrimp is marinating, soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 3 – Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Then thread the shrimp gently onto the wooden skewers.
- Step 4 – Place the skewers directly on the hot grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp as it will make it tough.
- Step 5 – Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
How to Cook in the Oven:
This fresh lemon juice shrimp can be baked in the oven. Prepare shrimp as indicated in the recipe. Marinate the shrimp in the garlic lemon sauce and then place on a baking sheet.
We recommend spraying the baking sheet with cooking spray so the shrimp doesn’t stick.
Bake the shrimp in a preheated oven at 450 degrees. Bake for about 10 minute or until shrimp turns pink.
What type of Shrimp can you Grill?
The perfect shrimp to grill is the large, jumbo or colossal size shrimp. We buy the shrimp that is already peeled and deveined. But you can grill shrimp with the peel on.
I like to keep things easy, so I look for the shrimp that is already peeled. Even for cooking shrimp on the stove top or baking it, I always like to get the jumbo size shrimp.
How to Cook on the Stovetop:
Shrimp in the skillet is another easy way to make this Lemon Garlic Shrimp. We often do stir fries loaded with vegetables, so we make it on the stovetop often.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place marinated shrimp in the skillet.
- Allow the shrimp cook for a few minutes on each side. Stirring the shrimp occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy.
How to know when Shrimp is Cooked:
After grilling the shrimp skewers for about 2 minutes flip shrimp on the other side. Shrimp is cooked when the color of your shrimp is pink and just starts to curl.
Make sure you don’t over cook shrimp. They can get very chewy and will not taste good.
If using precooked shrimp, you are simply heated the shrimp up. So it will take even less time to heat the shrimp. Watch the shrimp closely on the grill.
How Long to Grill Shrimp:
Cooking shrimp skewers on the grill doesn’t take long. After the lemon garlic shrimp has marinated, then you grill shrimp for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. We recommend placing the shrimp in a single layer on the grill.
Make sure you have soaked the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
What to Serve with Garlic Lemon Shrimp:
There are many sides that can be served with this Easy Garlic Lemon Shrimp Recipe. We like to serve sides that I can easily place on the grill for a quick and easy meal idea.
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil – This potatoes in foil grill recipe is one my favorite sides to make. This dish is budget friendly and only require a few ingredients.
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus – These asparagus bundles are wrapped in bacon and then grilled to perfection. The asparagus is seasoned with simple seasoning and the added flavor of the bacon makes these a flavorful recipe.
- Grilled Vegetables in Foil – If you are looking for an easy side dish that compliments any meal, make Grilled Vegetables in Foil. They are healthy and versatile so you can use what you already have.
- See What to Serve with Grilled Shrimp for more side dish ideas
What kind of Skewers to use:
When you are preparing you shrimp skewers, you need bamboo skewers. I used wooden ones but you can use metal skewers as well.
If you use wooden ones, soak them in water before you use them. This will prevent them from burning to fast on the grill.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftover shrimp in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If you have leftover shrimp, we try to eat it for lunch the next day. You can reheat in the microwave but we recommend reheating on the stove or oven.
Seasoning Variations for Grilled Shrimp:
Feel free to change up the seasoning for this Garlic Lemon Shrimp Recipe.
- Kosher Salt
- White Wine
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Add Vegetables to make Shrimp Kabobs
Print Recipe here for Garlic Lemon Grilled Shrimp:
Garlic Lemon Grilled Shrimp
- Whisk together all the ingredients except for the shrimp in a medium size. Place the shrimp in the bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20-30 minutes. Do not marinade for more than 30 minutes as the acid from the lemon will break down the shrimp. While the shrimp is marinating, soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Then thread the shrimp gently onto the wooden skewers.
- Place the skewers directly on the hot grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp as it will make it tough.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe