Blackstone Hobo Dinner is loaded with vegetables, beef patty and seasoned to perfection. The perfect dinner idea cooked on the griddle.
Blackstone Hobo Dinner Recipe:
This Blackstone Hobo Dinner is the ultimate dinner idea. Load the foil packs with vegetables, a beef patty and seasoning and wrap in foil. The Blackstone cooks the foil pack perfectly. You can even bake in the oven or perfect idea for camping.
This Blackstone Hobo Dinner makes dinner time a breeze with this easy dinner idea. Hearty and delicious dinner idea makes this a family favorite meal. You can easily change the vegetables or use ground turkey for a different meal idea.
Cooking Hobo Dinners have never been easier thanks to the Blackstone Griddle. Make these Hobo Dinners ahead of time to feed your hungry family or a crowd. Easy cleanup makes the best weeknight dinner.
What is a Hobo Dinner?
Hobo dinners date back to the depression era when the homeless roamed the country and cooked dinner over an open fire. They contain a meat and loaded with vegetables and seasoned and then wrapped in foil.
This meal doesn’t require any fancy dishes or pans. You can make it with just the foil and cook while camping, on a gas grill at home or toss it in the oven.
Simple, delicious idea that will be perfect for your busy family.
- Lean Ground Beef
- Onion, sliced
- Frozen Green beans
- Carrots (peeled and sliced into ¼ inch thick slices)
- Small Russet Potatoes (peeled and sliced into ¼ inch thick slices)
How to Make Hobo Dinners on Blackstone:
- Step 1 – Preheat the Blackstone grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F).
- Step 2 – Form the ground beef into 4 even side patties.
- Step 3 – Prepare and spray 4 large pieces of foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 4 – Layer the sliced potatoes, onions, frozen green beans and carrots on each piece of oil.
- Step 5 – Top with a hamburger patty, season each packet with salt and pepper and top each one with one tablespoon of butter.
- Step 6 – Fold up the sides of the foil to make a packet.
- Step 7 – Place the foil packets directly on the grill. Close the lid and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Step 8 – Flipping the packets halfway through the cook time until the vegetables are tender and the beef has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Step 9 – Serve directly out of the foil packet and enjoy!
Tips for Hobo Foil Packs:
- Use what you have – We like to make these because they are kid friendly. We usually use vegetables that we have and let the kids build their own. Once foil packs are prepared, they are ready to cook.
- Aluminum Foil – We recommend using heavy duty aluminum foil when making Hobo Dinners. The griddle is so hot that you don’t want your foil to burn through or tear.
- Cutting Vegetables – When cutting potatoes and carrots, make sure they are cut about the same size. This ensure that they all cook tender about the same time.
- Opening Foil Packs – Make sure when you open the foil packs that you do it carefully. These packets are extremely hot and steam will come out of it.
- Ground Beef – We recommend using lean ground beef as it taste the best and it is less greasy.
- Cooking Hobo Dinner – These Hobo Dinners can be cooked while camping, on your grill at home or in the oven.
- Change Seasoning – We used simple seasoning when making this recipe. Feel free to change the seasoning to what you prefer. Adding a seasoning blend such as taco seasoning will really change the flavor. Garlic powder is always a good addition to this foil packet.
- Potatoes – Use any type of potatoes that you prefer. Russet potatoes, red potatoes or yellow gold potatoes are great recommendations. You can slice or dice the potatoes just as long as they are about the same size.
- Carrots – You can use baby carrots or regular carrots. For the regular carrots we peeled and diced them in about the same size.
- Butter – We love to top the ingredients with a slice of butter. It adds flavor and keeps the ingredients juicy. This helps to prevent sticking while the ingredients cook. You can also drizzle with olive oil.
- Change the Meat – If you prefer you can use ground turkey. You can also combine ground turkey and ground beef and make patties.
- Other Vegetables – You can easily add in other vegetables. Broccoli, asparagus, or zucchini would be the perfect addition.
How to Make Hobo Dinners in Oven:
You can make this delicious easy hobo dinner foil packet meal in the oven. Prepare the hobo dinners as the recipe card indicates and place on a sheet pan and bake.
- Make sure to spray cooking spray or butter to the tops of the ingredients as that will prevent it from sticking.
- Bake these hobo dinners in the oven at 375 degrees F for 45-50 minutes. The Hobo Dinners are done when the beef reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Use a meat thermometer to check to make sure hamburger is done.
- Open foil packet carefully and check to make sure potatoes, carrots and onions are soft.
- Serve and enjoy this complete hearty meal.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Print Recipe here for Blackstone Hobo Dinner:
Blackstone Hobo Dinner
- Preheat the Blackstone grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F).
- Form the ground beef into 4 even side patties.
- Prepare and spray 4 large pieces of foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer the sliced potatoes, onions, frozen green beans and carrots on each piece of oil.
- Top with a beef pattie, season each packet with salt and pepper and top each one with one tablespoon of butter.
- Fold up the sides of the foil to make a packet.
- Place the foil packets directly on the grill. Close the lid and cook for 35-40 minutes (flipping the packets halfway through the cook time) until the vegetables are tender and the beef has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serve directly out of the foil packet and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Can you put this in the oven
Yes Bake these hobo dinners in the oven at 375 degrees F for 45-50 minutes.