Grilled Chicken Kabobs is an easy dinner idea. Marinated diced chicken is threaded on skewers with colorful vegetables and grilled to perfection.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Easy Chicken Grilled Kabobs:
This Easy chicken kabobs grilled recipe is always a family favorite. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast are cut then marinated in a simple marinade. The chicken is then threaded on wooden skewers with tasty colorful veggies.
The skewers are grilled in less than 20 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are cooked tender. We love the flavor the grill gives the kabobs and the easy marinade takes the chicken kabobs to the next level.
This classic summer recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal or for feeding a crowd. Kabobs are great because you can use a variety of ingredients and they always taste amazing.
- Boneless Chicken Breasts (approximately 2-3 chicken breasts)
- Olive Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Minced Garlic
- Onion (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Zucchini (sliced into ½ inch slices)
- Yellow Squash (sliced into ½ inch slices)
- Red Bell Pepper (deseeded and cut into 1 inch pieces)
How to Make Grilled Chicken Kabobs:
- Step 1 – Cut Chicken and Prepare marinade – Cut the chicken into 1-2 inch pieces. Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Step 2 – Marinate the chicken – Marinade the chicken with the sauce ingredients either in a bowl or a large ziplock bag. Marinade for at least 30 minutes but no more than 2 hours as the vinegar will break down the chicken.
- Step 3 – Soak Skewers – Soak the skewers in water for at least 20 minutes.
- Step 4 – Heat the Grill – Preheat the grill to a medium high heat. Spray the grill with a non-stick cooking spray or brush the grates with olive oil. This prevents the kabobs from sticking to the grill.
- Step 5 – Thread the chicken and Veggies – Prepare the kabobs by threading the chicken and veggies onto the wooden skewers. Repeat until all the chicken and veggies are on the skewers.
- Step 6 – Grill the Kabobs – Grill the kabobs for approximately 10-15 minutes, turning every few minutes to cook evenly. Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and the veggies are the tenderness that you prefer.
- Step 7 – Remove from grill – Remove the kabobs from the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Step 8 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve warm and enjoy.
How Long to Grill Chicken Kabobs:
Grilling the Chicken Kabobs do not take long. You want to make sure to stand close by the grill. It is important to rotate the kabobs throughout the cooking process.
After preparing the Chicken Kabobs by placing the chicken and veggies on the skewers, they are ready to grill.
Place the kabobs on the grill, it takes about 20 minutes to grill kabobs. Make sure to rotate the kabobs so they cook evenly. This allows the chicken to cook and the veggies to cook tender.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. The temperature should be 165 degrees when the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Marinade – We used a simple marinade to marinate the chicken in. It is loaded with simple ingredients, but you can easily change this recipe or use a store bought marinade. Lemon juice would an delicious addition to this marinade.
- Vegetables – We used squash, zucchini and red onion to load up the skewers but feel free to use what you have. Chicken skewers are a great way to use up leftover vegetables.
- Change the Meat – You can use pork or steak with this recipe.
- Chicken – We used cut up chicken breast in this recipe, but you can boneless chicken thighs if you prefer. You may need to allow the chicken kabobs to cook a little longer.
- Meat Thermometer – Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked to safe temperature before eating.
- Preparing Grill – Prepare the grill by heating the grill to medium heat and oiling the grill gates. This prevents the kabobs from sticking to the grill.
- Baking Chicken and Vegetables – If you prefer, you can place the chicken kabobs on a baking sheet and bake. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Make sure to rotate so chicken cooks evenly.
- Flip the Kabobs – Makes sure to flip the grilled chicken kabobs as you cook them to make sure all sides are cooked.
- Cut Vegetables – Cut vegetables and chicken to about the same size pieces. This ensure that they cook evenly and about the same time.
- Baste Kabobs – With the reserved marinade, you can baste the kabobs while they are grilling. This adds moisture and flavor to the kabobs.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Chicken Kabobs makes for an easy lunch the next day. I like to place in individual containers with some rice for a quick and healthy lunch.
What to Serve with Chicken Kabobs:
These chicken kabobs can easily be served by them self. But I like to add easy sides to make dinnertime a breeze. These are some of my favorites.
- Rice – Feel free to add a side of white rice, cauliflower rice or brown rice. I like to take the chicken and vegetables off the skewers and mix it in with the rice.
- Bake Potato – Serve a bake potato with your favorite topping as an easy side. You can cook you potato on the grill or in the microwave.
- Roasted Vegetables – Load your place with more vegetables such as broccoli or asparagus. We have even grilled veggies in a foil pack for an easy side dish.
- See What to Serve with Chicken kabobs for more side ideas.
Do I need to Soak Skewers before Grilling?
Yes, we recommend that your soak the skewers in a shallow baking dish filled with water.
Place wooden skewers in the water for about 30 minutes. This prevents the skewers from burning while the ingredients are cooking.
We like using wooden skewers instead of metal skewers.
Print Recipe here for Grilled Chicken Kabobs
Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts approximately 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 red onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini sliced into ½ inch slices
- 1 yellow squash sliced into ½ inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Cut the chicken into 1-2 inch pieces. Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Marinade the chicken with the sauce ingredients either in a bowl or a large ziplock bag. Marinade for at least 30 minutes but no more than 2 hours as the vinegar will break down the chicken.
- Soak the skewers in water for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to a medium high heat and spray the grill with a non-stick cooking spray or brush the grates with olive oil to prevent the kabobs from sticking to the grill.
- Prepare the kabobs by threading the chicken and veggies onto the wooden skewers until all the chicken and veggies are on the skewers.
- Grill the kabobs for approximately 10-15 minutes (turning every few minutes to cook evenly) until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and the veggies are the tenderness that you prefer.
- Remove the kabobs from the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe