If you love Tilapia then you are going to love Grilled Tilapia in Foil. Only 3 Ingredients are needed to make this flaky, flavorful fish.
Grilled Tilapia in Foil:
Grilled Tilapia in Foil is an quick and easy way to make this flavorful fish anytime of the week. It is the perfect fish to grill in foil to hold in all the flavor. This recipe only requires 3 simple ingredients.
Grilling fish in a foil pack makes for an easy clean up also. When we are preparing meals in foil, I also like to make my side dishes on the grill in foil packs.
When we make the Tilapia in foil, it prevents it from overcooking and keeps it from drying out. Grilled Tilapia Recipe is one of family’s favorite seafood dish.
You might also like our Steak and Potatoes Foil Packs Recipe.
What is Tilapia?
Tilapia is a white flaky fish that is a family favorite. We love that this fish has a mild flavor and offers many health benefits. It is low in calorie and high in protein.
We usually purchase tilapia that is in the frozen section at the grocery store but you can also buy fresh.
- Tilapia filets
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Olive Oil
How to Grill Tilapia in Foil:
- Place Tilapia in Foil – Tear the foil into 6 equal pieces for each tilapia filet. Place a tilapia filet on each piece of foil.
- Prepare Gas Grill – Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Make sure to oil the grill grates before adding the tilapia foil packs to the grill.
- Season the Tilapia – Drizzle the olive oil over each filet and sprinkle each one with approximately ½ tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning.
- Wrap Tilapia in Foil – Close each Tilapia in foil tightly.
- Cook Tilapia – Place directly on the grill for 8-10 minutes until the tilapia reaches an internal temperature for 145 degrees F. Make sure to flip Tilapia and cook about 8 minutes per side.
- Serve and Enjoy – Be careful when unwrapping the foil packets and then the tilapia is ready to enjoy.
How long to Grill Tilapia:
Make sure that grill is preheated to about 400 degrees. Placed foil wrapped tilapia on the grill. Grill Tilapia for about 10 minutes or until Tilapia is flaky.
Make sure that the tilapia filets are completely defrosted if using frozen tilapia filets.
Best Seasoning for Tilapia:
When seasoning tilapia there are many options. Lemon Pepper seasoning is a perfect seasoning for Tilapia but here are some other options to try:
- Smoked Paprika – Smoked Paprika offers a little bit more smokey flavor than regular paprika. It can easily be found in the grocery store. Sprinkle on the Tilapia with the added olive oil and it will turn out so tasty.
- Onion Powder – We like to add onion powder with the lemon pepper seasoning to give it more of an onion flavor.
- Season Salt – We like using seasoning blends to the Tilapia to change the flavor.
What to Serve with Grilled Tilapia:
- Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- Cauliflower Rice
- Parmesan Grilled Zucchini
- Parmesan Pasta
- Crusty Artisan Bread Recipe
- Caesar Salad Recipes
How to Bake Fish in a Foil Packet in the Oven:
Cooking fish in foil and placing in the oven is easy to do. Baking fish in foil allows the fresh to have a steaming texture it turns out moist and very flavorful. You can add in potatoes or other vegetables to the foil pack.
This makes for a complete dinner all right in the foil.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place the foil pack on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
How to Tell if Tilapia is Cooked Through:
Tilapia is white when it is raw but it is more of a translucent white. You know when Tilapia is cooked and ready to eat when the white becomes more of a solid white it flakes easily with a fork.
Grilled Tilapia is Budget and Family Friendly:
I love that we can enjoy fish and not spend a fortune. Since tilapia is reasonable to purchase, you can enjoy this often even if you have a large family.
It is so nice to be able to enjoy a really healthy and delicious meal that only took a few minutes to prepare. Plus, tilapia is very budget friendly.
Add a few easy side dishes and dinner is ready. You don’t have to spend a ton of time cooking or a ton of money for your family to enjoy a really tasty meal.
Tilapia and Cherry Tomatoes:
We like to serve Grilled Tilapia with Cherry Tomatoes. It is a great way to have a fancy meal during the week.
We cook cherry tomatoes in a skillet with olive oil. It only takes a few minutes. Mix balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper in a small bowl and then drizzle over the cherry tomatoes for an amazing side dish.
Grilled Tilapia Variations:
- Grill other Fish – If you like grilling fish in foil, try making salmon, cod, and haddock.
- Use Frozen Tilapia – If you are short on time, you can grill Tilapia even if its frozen. Just add a little bit more time when grilling.
- Add Vegetables – You can add vegetables to the foil pack and have a complete meal.
- Change the Seasoning – Use garlic powder or a seasoning blend that you have.
How to Store Leftover Tilapia:
Refrigerate any leftover tilapia in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. We like to cook Tilapia to meal prep for the week. Use microwave safe containers and add rice, vegetables and a Tilapia.
This is makes a healthy lunch idea or a quick dinner.
Print Recipe here for Grilled Tilapia in Foil:
Grilled Tilapia in Foil
- 6 Tilapia filets
- 3 teaspoons Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Tear the foil into 6 equal pieces for each tilapia filet. Place a tilapia filet on each piece of foil.
- Preheat the grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F).
- Drizzle the olive oil over each filet and sprinkle each one with approximately ½ tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning.
- Place directly on the grill for 8-10 minutes until the tilapia reaches an internal temperature for 145 degrees F.
- Be careful when unwrapping the foil packets and then the tilapia is ready to enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe