Homemade Fajita Seasoning is the perfect blend of spices to spice many different dishes. The combination of these spice makes your dish taste amazing.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning Recipe:
If you are looking to take your fajita recipe to the next level, make a Homemade Fajita Seasoning blend. These spices can easily be purchased at the store and simple to combine.
This seasoning blend adds amazing spice to many different recipes. Yes, we love to marinate our chicken or steak fajitas in it. But you can also use it to sprinkle on some sauteed vegetables, salads or seafood.
Homemade seasoning just taste better. I can easily use more or less of a seasoning and I know exactly what I am adding to the blend. Making this Fajita seasoning blend is easy to make and simple to store.
What is Fajita Seasoning Made of?
This fajita seasoning blend is made up of easy to find spices at the store. This Mexican blend of spices usually combines the flavors of chili powder, ground cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper.
We also like to add in some garlic salt, black pepper, and onion powder for added flavor. My favorite part of this recipe is that I know exactly what is in this fajita seasoning.
You won’t find any extra ingredients or additives since you are making this at home. Also this spice blend tastes amazing together. If you are trying to watch you salt intake, you can easily use garlic powder instead.
If you are sensitive to spice, reduce the cayenne pepper or leave it out all together.
- Chili Powder – This spice to give your blend a pop of flavor.
- Ground Cumin – We love the warm earthy flavor gives the blend and pairs perfectly with paprika.
- Paprika – You can also use smoked paprika. We love the red coloring with a hint of sweetness mixed with some heat.
- Garlic Salt – Use garlic salt or garlic powder. We love garlic and add it to pretty much everything.
- Black Pepper – Black Pepper is a must with this seasoning.
- Onion Powder – Enhance the flavoring with this onion powder.
- Cayenne Pepper – This seasoning gives the spice blend a little kick. Add more or less if you prefer.
How to Make Fajita Seasoning:
- Combine Ingredients – Place all the ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir or whisk to thoroughly combine all the seasonings.
- Store and Enjoy – Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
How Much Seasoning to Use:
Use 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mixture per 1 pound of meat – chicken or beef to make the best fajitas. But you may need more or less depending on how much seasoning you like.
You can adjust the amount of seasoning you add as you are cooking. I love the flavor of this seasoning, so I usually add a bit more.
Can I use Taco Seasoning Instead?
We love making taco seasoning as well as this fajita seasoning. The seasoning blend of taco seasoning and fajita seasoning is very similar.
They are both made with Mexican flavor seasoning and taco seasoning can be used if you are out of fajita seasoning.
If you do use taco seasoning instead of fajita seasoning, no one will be able to tell the difference. Just use what you already have prepared.
How to Use Fajita Seasoning:
We love making chicken and steak fajitas. I think it is because it is my favorite Mexican Restaurant menu item. They are always full of flavor and adding the bell peppers and red onions makes it the best. We also like to add in fresh lime juice.
Simply use 2 Tablespoons of your fajitas seasoning mix instead of a seasoning packet. I usually mix this seasoning with some olive oil and your meat of choice. This creates a great marinade recipe for your meal.
You can easily use this recipe to create homemade chicken fajita mix or a great steak fajita seasoning recipe. This fajita seasoning tastes great on all types of meat so use it often.
Other Ways to Use Fajita Seasoning:
There are many ways to use this Fajita Seasoning. Yes, it is great when you are making steak fajita’s or chicken fajita’s. But I have used it in many other ways and it came out so amazing.
- Soup – If you are making a taco soup or a enchilada soup, add this seasoning. It gives it so much flavor.
- Marinate – Add a dry rub to your chicken breast, shrimp, steak and use this fajita seasoning. Before placing your meat on the grill marinate you meat in this amazing dry rub. Let it sit for about 20 minutes to 30 minutes before placing on the grill.
- Roast Vegetables – Spice up your vegetables and sprinkle a tablespoon or two on your vegetables before putting in the oven.
How to Store:
Making homemade seasoning is part of my meal prep for the week. I make sure that my homemade seasonings are stocked so I am ready for the week. If stored in a cool, dry place your seasoning will stay fresh.
I recommend doubling the fajita seasoning recipe. This way it is easily available anytime you need it since it is good on many different things.
Homemade Seasoning is also the perfect gift to give. When you have that hard to buy for neighbor or friend, make some homemade seasoning. Then place the seasoning in a cute spice jar.
My favorite thing about making homemade seasoning is I can add in a new seasoning or substitute it for something else. This brings in different taste or a little more heat to your blend.
Depending on what you have on hand or what you want to experiment with try adding in oregano or celery salt. We also suggest adding in cocoa powder, tumeric, or chipotle powder.
The options are endless and you never know, you might just come up with a new seasoning blend.
How long to Store:
If stored correctly, this seasoning mixture can last for up to 1 year. We recommend storing a cool, dry place. We like to store in our pantry to easily use for many different recipes.
Easy Homemade Seasoning:
With just a few different spices, you can easily make simple fajita seasoning that tastes amazing. It takes minutes to prepare and all the ingredients are combine in a mixing bowl. Storing homemade spice mix is easy to do.
Prepare homemade seasoning is part of our weekly meal prep. This way I can easily add these seasoning to my recipes which saves me time and money.
You are going to love having this seasoning to use for all your recipes. It’s easy to have this on hand to save you time and money. Perfect when it’s time to prepare delicious fajitas for dinner!
Print Recipe here for Fajita Seasoning:
- 1/4 cup Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir or whisk to thoroughly combine all the seasonings.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Use 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mixture per 1 pound of chicken or beef to make the best fajitas.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Grilling Recipes:
More Homemade seasonings:
- Beef Rub Recipe
- Lawry’s Seasoned Salt Recipe
- Chicken Rub Seasoning Recipe
- Freddy’s Steakburger Seasoning
Love this recipe!
DO YOU MIX THIS WITH WATER LIKE THE ONE YOU BUY IN THE STORE
You do not have you. You can, but you don’t have to.