If you are looking for a plant based burger, make this Portobello Mushroom Burger. It is rich, hearty and easy to make with simple ingredients.
Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe:
Grilled portobello mushroom burger is a delicious burger whether you eat meat or not. This portobello burger recipe is flavorful, meaty, and juicy and topped with all your favorite toppings.
The portobello mushrooms are marinated in a savory sauce and then grilled to perfection. The results are a juicy and meaty mushroom burger that is loaded with savory flavor.
We love to top the portobello mushroom with cheese and place on a toasted bun. Add your favorite burger topping for a delicious meal idea. This is a must try whether you are on a plant based diet or not.
What is a Portobello Mushroom Burger?
Portobello Mushroom Burger is a veggie burger that is stacked with all your favorite classic burger toppings. It is marinated in a savory sauce and then grilled. The mushroom is then placed on a hamburger bun with melted swiss cheese.
Because of the flavor, even those that do not eat a veggie based diet will love this burger recipe.
For the Mushrooms:
- Large Portobello Mushrooms
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
For the Burgers:
- Hamburger Buns (warmed or toasted)
- Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- Red Onion (sliced)
- Tomato (sliced)
- Lettuce Leaves
How to Make Portobello Mushroom Burger:
- Step 1 – Combine Marinade Ingredients – Whisk together the oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder. Mix in the black pepper and salt in a shallow baking dish.
- Step 2 – Clean Mushrooms – Remove the stems and gills from the mushrooms.
- Step 3 – Marinade Mushrooms – Add them to the baking dish and flip gill side to coat them in the marinade mixture. Let the mushrooms marinade for at least 5 minutes.
- Step 4 – Prepare Grill – Preheat a grill over medium high heat at 400 degrees. Brush the grill grates with an oil to prevent the mushrooms from sticking to the grill.
- Step 5 – Remove Mushrooms – Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and shake off any excess marinade. Place them on the grill on direct heat.
- Step 6 – Cook Mushrooms – Cook for 3-4 minutes per side until the mushrooms are a deep golden brown color. Place the sliced cheese on top of the mushrooms for the last minute of the cooking day.
- Step 7 – Serve and enjoy – Place the lettuce, tomatoes and onions on the bottom buns. Then top with the cooked mushrooms and top bun. Serve warm and enjoy!
How to Cook on Blackstone:
If you have a Blackstone, you can easily make this Portobello Mushroom Burger on the griddle. After marinating the mushroom, place the mushroom on the griddle that has been preheated and buttered.
Cover and cook portobello mushrooms for about 4 minutes. Then remove the cover and cook for about a minute longer.
Then remove from the griddle and add to a hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.
How Long to Marinade Portobello Mushrooms:
You do not need to marinate the Portobello Mushrooms for very long. We recommend marinating for about 10 minutes but you can leave it in for about 30 minutes.
Portobello Mushroom Burger Topping Ideas:
You can easily serve these burgers with your favorite toppings and condiments.
- Grilled Red Onions
- Slice Tomatoes
- Swiss Cheese
What to Serve with a Portobello Mushroom Burger:
There are many different sides that you can serve with this delicious Portobello Mushroom Burger.
- Grilled French Fries – No fancy tool is needed for these hand-cut French Fries. You simply cut them in ¼ inch strips and toss them in some seasoning and grill them in an iron skillet.
- Grilled Vegetables – These grilled vegetables in foil make the perfect side for this mushroom burger. It is delicious and easy to make.
- Parmesan Grilled Zucchini – Add zucchini to your grill and top with parmesan for a delicious side dish. We love to roast zucchini but grilling zucchini directly on the grill gives the zucchini that perfect grill marks.
Portobello Mushroom Burger Tips:
- Marinade – Before placing the mushroom caps on the grill, remove any excess marinade from the mushroom.
- Top with Cheese – Top the mushroom with cheese before removing from the grill. This allows for the cheese to melt perfectly on the grill.
- Seasoning – The mushrooms are seasoned with salt and pepper and other simple ingredients. Feel free to change to what you have on hand.
- Grilling – You can grill the portobello mushrooms on the grill or in a grill pan. You can even cook on a Blackstone Griddle.
- Preparing portobello mushroom caps – Remove the stem side off the mushrooms and clean and dry with a paper towel.
- Balsamic Vinegar – We recommend using balsamic vinegar as it adds so much flavor.
- Olive Oil – We love the flavor that olive gives these mushrooms. But you can also use avocado oil or another higher smoke point oil.
- Serving – This portobello mushroom burger is best served immediately with your favorite toppings.
How to Store Leftovers:
These are best served fresh. But you can refrigerate the leftover portobello mushrooms in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Easy Veggie Burger Recipe:
These portobello mushroom burgers are easy to make and so delicious. We love that are easy to prepare in a simple marinade. The marinade gives the mushrooms a savory flavor and even my meat eating family, enjoys this burger recipe.
If you are looking for more plant base recipes, try this thick, meaty and juicy mushroom recipe. Top with avocado, onion, cheese and lettuce for a delicious alternative to your classic burger recipe.
Print Recipe here for Portobello Mushroom Burger:
Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe
For the Mushrooms:
- 4 Large Portobello Mushrooms
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
For the Burgers:
- 4 Hamburger Buns warmed or toasted
- 4 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Red Onion sliced
- 1 Tomato sliced
- 4 Lettuce Leaves
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce olive oil, garlic powder, black pepper and salt in a shallow baking dish.
- Remove the stems and gills from the mushrooms. Add them to the baking dish and flip them to coat them in the marinade mixture. Let the mushrooms marinade for at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Brush the grill grates with an oil to prevent the mushrooms from sticking to the grill. Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and shake off any excess marinade. Place them on the grill on direct heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side until the mushrooms are a deep golden brown color. Place the sliced cheese on top of the mushrooms for the last minute of the cooking day.
- Place the lettuce, tomatoes and onions on the bottom buns and top with the cooked mushrooms and top bun. Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Burger Recipes:
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Burger Recipe
- Blackstone Taco Burger Recipe
- Chorizo Burger Recipe
- Blackstone Avocado Burger Recipe