Blackstone Chopped Cheese Sandwich is loaded with flavor and easy to make. Make this New York City classic on your griddle for a delicious weeknight meal.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Making this classic sandwich on the Blackstone Griddle is one of our favorite Blackstone Recipes. Chopped beef and tender vegetables create a delicious sandwich that everyone loves.
If you love this recipe, then you are going to love this Philly’s Cheesesteak Recipe.
Table of Contents
What is a Chopped Cheese Sandwich?
This chopped cheese sandwich Blackstone Recipe is a classic recipe made in New York City on a griddle. The chopped beef is mixed with cooked veggies and topped with cheese and served on a hoagie rolls.
This classic sandwich is similar to hamburger patties but the meat is loose and is served in a hoagie instead of hamburger buns.
- Ground Beef
- Garlic Salt or Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper (optional, for heat)
- Vegetable Oil
- Large Onion, thinly sliced
- Green Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- American Cheese Slices
- Hoagie Rolls or hamburger buns
Scroll to the bottom of the post to see the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
- Buns – Feel free to use different types of hoagie buns. We have even used hot dog buns.
- Change Meat – This classic recipe is made with ground beef, but feel free to use ground turkey or a mixture of both.
- Veggies – Feel free to add your favorite toppings to what you prefer. You can serve with slice tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, or slice mushrooms.
- Cheese – Feel free to change the cheese to what you prefer. We have even drizzled in cheez whiz for a delicious variation.
Step by Step Instructions
- Step 1 – In a small bowl, combine garlic salt, onion powder, salt and pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). Set aside.
- Step 2 – Preheat the griddle over medium heat. Use half of the vegetable oil or butter to sauté onions and bell peppers until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the griddle and set aside.
- Step 3 – Season the ground beef with the prepared spice mix. Add the remaining oil to the griddle. Cook the beef until browned, breaking it up with a spatula.
- Step 4 – Return the onions and peppers to the griddle, mixing them with the beef.
Step 5 – Place cheese slices over the chopping meat mixture, allowing the cheese to melt before stirring them in.
Step 6 – Toast the rolls or buns on the griddle.
Step 7 – Assemble the sandwiches with the beef and cheese mixture and serve hot.
- Griddle Temperature – Preheating the griddle is crucial for achieving a good sear on the beef and preventing sticking. Medium heat is ideal to cook the ingredients thoroughly without burning them.
- Oil Usage – Start with 3 tablespoons as recommended, but be prepared to adjust. If the griddle seems too dry or ingredients begin to stick, add a bit more oil. If your ground beef is very lean, you might need a little extra oil to compensate for the lack of fat.
- Cooking Beef – This classic recipe is made with chopped beef. As you are cooking the meat break it up into small pieces before mixing with the vegetables.
This chopped beef sandwich can be served with many different side dish recipes. A traditional side dish is French Fries or potato chips. We even like to spread mayonnaise, ketchup and hot sauce and served with slice pickles.
This New York Chopped Cheese Recipe is always perfect to feed a crowd or an easy weeknight meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make this chopped ground beef patties on the stove top. We recommend cooking in a cast iron skillet for a similar taste and texture as the classic recipe. Cook over medium-high heat with the veggies and serve on a hero roll.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Store the meat mixture separate from the hoagies to keep the hoagie from getting soggy.
More Easy Blackstone Sandwich Recipes
We love hearing from you. If you make this Blackstone Chopped Cheese Sandwich Recipe, please leave us a star review.
Blackstone Chopped Cheese Sandwich
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional, for heat
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls or hamburger buns
- In a small bowl, combine garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). Set aside.
- Preheat the griddle over medium heat. Use half of the vegetable oil to sauté onions and bell peppers until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the griddle and set aside.
- Season the ground beef with the prepared spice mix. Add the remaining oil to the griddle. Cook the beef until browned, breaking it up with a spatula.
- Return the onions and peppers to the griddle, mixing them with the beef.
- Place cheese slices over the beef mixture, allowing them to melt before stirring them in.
- Toast the rolls or buns on the griddle.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the beef and cheese mixture and serve hot.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe