Grilled Shrimp Skewers is an easy way to grill shrimp. Quick and easy to make with an simple lemon marinade that makes the shrimp full of flavor.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Grilled Shrimp Skewers Recipe:
Grilled Shrimp Skewers are marinated in a lemon juice and simple seasoning to make an amazing meal idea. The shrimp is then threaded through wooden skewers and grilled to perfection.
These shrimp skewers marinates for about 20 minutes in the lemon herb marinade and then grilled for less than 3 minutes on each side. The perfect healthy dinner idea any night of the week.
Whether you grill the shrimp on the skewers or broil them in your oven they are flavorful and always a family favorite. Add a side or top the grilled shrimp on a salad. These Grilled Shrimp Skewers become an a easy meal idea.
Easy Shrimp Skewers on Grill:
We use our grill a lot especially during the warmer months. These Grilled Shrimp on Skewers are always on rotation for a meal idea. Shrimp cooks up quick and easy and the simple marinate makes it a budget friendly meal idea.
When we grill shrimp we like to use the large, jumbo or colossal shrimp. We buy the shrimp that is already peeled and deveined. But you can grill shrimp with the peel on. I like to keep things easy, so I look for the shrimp that is already peeled.
We prefer to buy shrimp that is uncooked and that is what this recipe calls for. But you can use the precooked shrimp but it does shrink in size when grilled.
- Large Raw Shrimp (peeled, deveined, tails-on)
- Olive Oil
- Lemon, Juiced
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Fresh Parsley, chopped
How to Grill Shrimp Skewers:
- Combine Marinade ingredients – Whisk together all the ingredients except for the shrimp in a medium size.
- Add Shrimp – Place the shrimp in the large bowl and toss and coat with marinade.
- Refrigerate Shrimp – Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. While the shrimp is marinading, soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare Grill – Preheat a gas grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Then skewer the shrimp gently onto the wooden skewers.
- Cook Shrimp – Once you have thread the shrimp, place the skewers directly on the hot grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately while warm and enjoy! Top with chopped parsley.
How to Grill Shrimp without Skewers:
If you prefer you can grill shrimp without skewers. Here are some of our favorite ways:
- Blackstone Grilled Shrimp – If you have a Blackstone Griddle, then try grilling shrimp on it. They large cooking surface cooks the shrimp perfect with a nice crispy texture.
- Grilled Shrimp in Foil – Grill Shrimp Foil Packets are so quick and easy and fun to make. You can change the seasoning or add in vegetables to make it a complete meal.
- Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Recipe – These grilled shrimp are the perfect weeknight meal to make. It takes minutes on the grill and the garlic parmesan topping, make this meal so delicious.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers Variations:
- Add Vegetables – Make Shrimp Kabobs for an complete meal idea. We like to add peppers and whole mushrooms with the shrimp for a healthy meal.
- Change the Seasoning – If you want to add some spice to your recipe, add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Grilled Shrimp Salad – Top your favorite salad with grilled shrimp. This a nice change from the normal grilled chicken.
How Long to Cook Shrimp Skewers on Grill:
Cooking shrimp skewers on the grill doesn’t take long. After the shrimp has marinated, then you grill shrimp for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Make sure you have soaked the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
What kind of Skewers to use:
When you are preparing you chicken on the stick, you need bamboo skewers. I used wooden ones but you can use metal skewers as well.
If you use wooden ones, soak them in water before you use them. This will prevent them from burning to fast on the grill.
Skewered Grilled Shrimp Tips:
- Marinating Shrimp – We recommend marinading for only about 15 minutes to 20 minutes. The acid in the lemon can actually cook the shrimp instead of the heat from the grill.
- Cook in the Oven – Prepare the Shrimp and place shrimp skewers on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Then broil for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Prepare Shrimp – Before you marinade shrimp, peel and devein shrimp. If you marinade while peel is still on shrimp the coating will have the shrimp.
- Watch Shrimp – Don’t overcook shrimp as shrimp cooks very fast. If overcooked, the shrimp will lose its juices and will become chewy.
- Frozen Shrimp – If you frozen shrimp, make sure you let it thaw completely before using. Thaw shrimp in cold water. Dry shrimp on a paper towel.
How to know when Shrimp is Cooked:
After grilling the shrimp skewers for about 2 minutes flip shrimp on the other side. Shrimp is cooked when the color of your shrimp is pink and just starts to curl.
Make sure you don’t over cook shrimp. They can get very chewy and will not taste good.
What to Serve with Grilled Shrimp:
When we serve this Grilled Shrimp with skewers we like to serve with different sides. Most of the time, I try to do sides that can easily be prepared or can be grilled so it is easy clean up. Here are some of our favorites:
- Grilled Bake Potatoes – Bake Potatoes are an easy side and they come out perfectly when grilled.
- Grilled Asparagus in Foil – We love grilling out asparagus. You can even cook the asparagus in the same foil as the shrimp.
- Easy Crock Pot Rice – Rice, vegetables and shrimp is our favorite dinner option.
- For more side ideas, see What to Serve with Grilled Shrimp.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftover shrimp in an airtight container for up to 3 days. See Leftover Shrimp Recipes.
Print Recipe here for Grilled Shrimp Skewers Recipe:
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Whisk together all the ingredients except for the shrimp in a medium size. Place the shrimp in the bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. While the shrimp is marinading, soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Then thread the shrimp gently onto the wooden skewers.
- Place the skewers directly on the hot grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Grilled Recipes:
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Recipe
- Texas Roadhouse Grilled Shrimp
- Chick-Fil-A Grilled Cool Wrap Recipe
- Grilled Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs Recipe