Top your California Burger with fresh lettuce, tomatoes and avocados for a delicious burger. Easy to make burger with simple ingredients.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
What is a California Burger made of?
Most of your diners and restaurants have a California burger on their menu. This delicious burger is always topped with fresh ingredients and a burger sauce.
The fresh ingredients include lettuce, tomato and avocado. All piled high on a hamburger patty to create a delicious burger. This is a delicious burger that originated from the west coast. Try one of our other delicious burger recipes.
How do you Make California Burgers?
Prepare your ground beef with simple seasoning and form into hamburger patties. Place the burger patties on a grill or skillet and cook to perfection. Top the hamburger patty with Swiss cheese and allow it to melt.
After toasting the buns, place a hamburger patty on the bottom bun. Top with your favorite fresh ingredients which could include lettuce, tomato, avocado and onions.
Combine the sauce ingredients and top on your buns, then serve and enjoy.
- 2 lbs Ground Beef (80% lean ground beef)
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
For the Burger Sauce:
- Dijon Mustard
For the Burgers:
- Swiss cheese
- Hamburger Buns
- Green Leaf Lettuce Leaves
- Red Onion
- Ripe Avocado (sliced)
- Sprouts (such as broccoli alfalfa or radish)
How to Make a California Burger:
- Step 1 – Preheat a grill over medium heat (approximately 350-400 degrees F).
- Step 2 – Form the beef into 4 patties that are approximately ½ pound each.
- Step 3 – Place on the grill (or large skillet or grill pan) over direct heat. Season the patties with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes per side over medium-high heat until the patties reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Place a slice of the Swiss cheese on the patties for the last minute of the cooking time to melt the cheese.
- Step 4 – Place the hamburger buns on the grill for approximately 1 minute to toast the buns.
- Step 5 – In a large bowl, stir together the burger sauce ingredients (mayo, mustard, and ketchup).
- Step 6 – Remove the buns. Spread the burger sauce on the bottom buns and top with the lettuce, sliced onions and sliced tomatoes. Top with beef patties.
- Step 7 – Then top the patties with the sliced avocado and sprouts. Place the top bun on top and then the burgers are ready to serve and enjoy.
How to know when Burger is done:
Cook the burgers about 5 minutes on each side until thoroughly cook. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure that the beef is cooked to a safe temperature before eating.
Be careful not to over-mix the beef or the burgers will be tough. Just mix with your hands until just combined.
California Topping Ideas:
- Fresh Lettuce
- Fresh Tomato Slices
- Sliced Avocado with lemon juice
- Red Onions
- Burger Sauce
- Slice Cheese
- Add Worcestershire sauce to the hamburger patties
- Change the cheese – You can use cheddar cheese, provolone or any cheese you would like.
- Change the meat – This would also be great using ground chicken.
What to Serve with a Burger?
- French Fries
- Roasted Vegetables
- Sweet Potatoes Fries
- Fried Potatoes
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate leftover patties in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Print Recipe for California Burger:
For the Patties:
For the Burger Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Ketchup
For the Burgers:
- 4 Slices Swiss cheese
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 4 Green Leaf Lettuce Leaves
- 4 Slices Red Onion
- 8 Slices Tomato
- 1 Ripe Avocado sliced
- Sprouts such as broccoli alfalfa or radish
- Preheat a grill over medium heat (approximately 350-400 degrees F).
- Form the beef into 4 patties that are approximately ½ pound each.
- Place on the grill over direct heat. Season the patties with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side until the patties reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Place a slice of the Swiss cheese on the patties for the last minute of the cooking time to melt the cheese.
- Place the hamburger buns on the grill for approximately 1 minute to toast the buns.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the burger sauce ingredients.
- Remove the buns. Spread the burger sauce on the bottom buns and top with the lettuce, sliced onions and sliced tomatoes. Top with beef patties. Then top the patties with the sliced avocado and sprouts. Place the top bun on top and then the burgers are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Burger Recipes:
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Burger Recipe
- Taco Burger
- Chipotle Burger
- Blue Cheese Burger
- Chorizo Burger Recipe
- Avocado Burger Recipe