Campfire Potatoes is an easy and cheesy side dish that can be made on the grill or in the oven. Simple ingredients makes this side so delicious.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Campfire Potatoes Recipe:
We love making foil pack recipes. They are easy to make, delicious and require simple ingredients. These Campfire Potatoes are the perfect foil pack side dish that can be made at your next camp out on the grill or in the oven.
These Campfire Potatoes are one of our favorites sides. Everything is layered in the foil to make and simple recipe and easy clean up. The next time you need a simple recipe to toss on fire or grill, make these Campfire Potatoes.
What are Campfire Potatoes?
Campfire Potatoes are potatoes that are cooked over a fire. We take red potatoes and slice and top with cheese, bacon, and simple seasoning and cook in a foil pack.
We cook the foil pack until the potatoes are cook and the cheese is melted. What we love about this recipe is you can make them on the grill, over an open fire or in the oven.
This is the perfect and easy camping recipe.
- Red Potatoes
- Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Green Onions, sliced
How to Make Campfire Potatoes Foil Packets:
- Prepare Foil – Spray 3 large pieces of heavy duty foil with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice Potatoes – Slice the potatoes into thin slices with a knife. Evenly divide them onto the pieces of foil.
- Season Potatoes – Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Then top each one with the diced bacon and green onions. Then top each one with thin slices of butter.
- Wrap Foil – Fold the foil around the potatoes securely to make a foil pack.
- Grill Potatoes – Place on a preheated grill over medium heat or place on a campfire. Grill for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Cooking time will vary it may take up to 30-40 minutes.
- Top with Cheese – Carefully open the foil packs. Evenly place the shredded cheese over the potatoes in the foil. Carefully close the foil packs back up and allow the steam from the potatoes to melt the cheese (approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Serve and Enjoy – Then the potatoes are ready to serve warm and enjoy!
How to Cook Campfire Potatoes in the Oven:
To make the campfire potatoes in the oven, prepare the potatoes as indicated in the foil pack. Place the potatoes in the oven preheated to 425 degrees. Bake the potatoes for about 10 minutes.
Once the potatoes are soft, top with cheese and place back in the oven. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
The potatoes are now ready to serve and enjoy.
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil – We used heavy duty foil to make sure that it doesn’t break when cooking.
- Carefully Open Foil Packs – After you have finished baking potatoes, be careful open the foil packs. Hot steam will come out when you open the foil packs. Use a fork to pierce the packs before opening, if you prefer.
- Cut Potatoes evenly – Make sure to cut the potatoes about the same size so they cook evenly. Thickness of the potatoes will depend on how long it takes to cook them.
Campfire Foil Potato Variations:
- Potatoes – We used red potatoes for this recipe. But you can use russet potatoes or yellow gold potatoes.
- Cheese – Add different cheese to the mixture. We used cheddar cheese and mozzarella, but pepper jack would also be a good option.
- Sausage – Add in some slice sausage for added flavor and protein.
- Change the seasoning – You can change the seasoning to what you have on hand. Italian Seasoning or Season Salt is also a good option.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Worcestershire sauce can be added for flavor.
- Onion – Potato and Onion are the perfect combination and gives this recipe so much flavor.
- Top the Campfire Potatoes – We love to top our campfire potatoes with sour cream when serving.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Print Recipe here for Campfire Potatoes:
- Spray 3 large pieces of foil with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices and evenly divide them onto the pieces of foil.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Then top each one with the diced bacon and green onions. Then top each one with thin slices of butter.
- Fold the foil around the potatoes securely to make a foil pack.
- Place on a preheated grill over medium high heat or place on a campfire. Grill for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Carefully open the foil packs. Evenly place the shredded cheese over the potatoes in the foil. Carefully close the foil packs back up and allow the steam from the potatoes to melt the cheese (approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Then the potatoes are ready to serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Foil Pack Recipes:
- Crack Chicken Foil Pack Recipe
- Steak and Potatoes Foil Pack Recipe
- Foil Pack Nachos Recipe
- Grilled Corn on the Cob Foil Recipe