Learn How to Fry Onions for Burgers. Easy, delicious and the perfect addition to your favorite burger and to so many meals.
Get My Easy Grilling Cookbook Bundle for 75% OFF
Blackstone Sauteed Onions:
We love using our Blackstone Griddle. We have cooked eggs, bacon and salmon on the griddle and everything always comes out perfectly. Now we are going to grill some onions for our smash burgers to make them even more tasty.
We love grilled onions on just about anything. This strong flavored vegetable cooks down to a sweet, caramelized, and tender topping. It amazes me how the flavored completely transforms into something so delicious that I can enjoy by themselves
When preparing to cook onions, they need to be cook just right. We think cooking them on the Blackstone Griddle allows you to perfectly cook them without any recipe disaster.
How to Fry Onions for Burgers:
Fry onions are great on burgers, pizza, salad, and even for breakfast. Our favorite way to enjoy them is on top of a smash burger. You will begin by preparing your onion and cutting it into rings so you can separate the onions.
Once you griddle has reached a temperature of at least 350 degrees and has been seasoned with oil, you are now ready to begin cooking your onions.
It is really that simple. Cook the onions until they are gold brown and then top them on your burger.
Ingredients you need:
- Yellow Onions
- Avocado Oil
How to Grill Onions on Blackstone:
- Cut and Prepare your Onions – Cut the onions in half. Then cut the ends off of each half and peel the onions. Slice the onions into thin half moons and separate the rings with your fingers.
- Prepare your Griddle – Preheat the Griddle or Blackstone Griddle over medium heat (approximately 350-400 degrees F).
- Add Onions to Griddle – Place the onions directly on the griddle and place the avocado oil and butter on top.
- Begin Cooking the Onions – Sauté the onions for about 10-15 minutes stirring them every few minutes until the the onions are soft and a light brown color.
- Top with a Burger Press – You can also top the onions with a burger press to speed up the cooking process as well and the onions will brown quicker.
- Perfectly Grilled Onions – Then they are ready to serve with your favorite type of burger and enjoy.
Which Onions are Best for Grilling:
- Red Onions – Great for burgers, steak, sandwiches, and salads.
- Yellow Onions – Yellow onions have a milder flavor and are great for burgers, stir-fry’s, fajitas, casseroles, and Mexican dishes.
- Sweet Onions – These sweet onions are perfect on pizza, pasta, and sauces.
Ways to use Grilled Onions:
- Mexican Dishes
- Side Dish
How long does it take to Fry Onions:
Cooking the onions on the griddle doesn’t it take long. The take about 10-15 minutes until the onions start to brown on medium high heat. Stirring frequently until the onions are fully cooked.
We like them to have a little crisp around the edges before pulling them off the griddle.
How do you Cut Onions for Grilling:
To prepare your onions for grilling, start with a sharp knife and a cutting board. Then cut onion in half. Then cut the ends off the onion, then peel the skin off of the oven.
Cut the onion into half moons about ⅜ inch thick and pull apart the onions into pieces.
Grilling Onions Tips:
- Keto Friendly – Onions are low in carbs and are Keto Friendly. Perfect to any of your keto meals and since they are grilled in butter fits into a keto diet meal plan.
- Add Seasoning – You can season them with salt, pepper, and even garlic to the grilled onions.
- Freeze Saute Onions – Freeze the sauté onion and a airtight container. They can be frozen for about 6 months. When you are ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet.
- Cast Iron Skillet – You can also cook these onions in a cast iron skillet oiled with olive oil.
- Gas Grill – Oil the grill grates, place the onions in a foil pack and grill.
How to Store Leftovers:
These are best served fresh but you can also refrigerate them for up to 5 days. Heat the grilled onions and add them to your leftover for an amazing lunch the next day.
Tools you Need:
Having the right tools makes it easy to cook food on your Blackstone Griddle. These are the best tools that we recommend.
Print Recipe here for How to Fry Onions for Burgers:
How to Fry Onions
- Cut the onions in half. Then cut the ends off of each half and peel the onions. Slice the onions into thin half moons and separate the rings with your fingers.
- Preheat the Griddle or Blackstone Griddle over medium high heat (approximately 350-400 degrees F).
- Place the onions directly on the griddle and place the avocado oil and butter on top. Sauté the onions for about 10-15 minutes stirring them every few minutes until the the onions are soft and a light brown color.
- Then they are ready to serve with your favorite type of burger and enjoy!
These are best served fresh but you can also refrigerate them for up to 5 days.
You can also top the onions with a burger press to speed up the cooking process as well and the onions will brown quicker.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe